Cabs for ENGL Blackmore?

• Thread starter incinerated_guitar
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

incinerated_guitar

Reaction score
Hey guys, im looking into getting an ENGL Blackmore here pretty soon, but im not sure what would be a suitable cab for it. Im not on a super tight budjet, but I dont want to spend a lot.

As a side note, im in a death metal band that has huge thrash influences. Our tunings are E standard, and C standard, and I use a LOT of mids, so a cab that can handle those tunings and eq's well is what im looking for.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BryanFTWL

#winlosing
Reaction score
I normally dislike v30s, but they work great with ENGL amps. I used an Orange style 6x12 clone with my old one, and felt it needed a little more stiffness to it. I usually find Mesa 4x12s pretty stiff, so try one of those out. Also, don't be scared to literally dime the mids on channel 4. Channel 3 has more mids, and might suit the thrash influence more as well. Good luck!

KAMI

Mom's Spaghetti
Reaction score
first of all, I would definitely get a 2x12 because they are easy to handle than 4x12's

for a 2x12 I would definitely go for an orange ppc212

if you don't mind how hard it is to haul around 4x12's I would definitely go for an orange ppc412

orange cabs all the way :hbang:

incinerated_guitar

Reaction score
I normally dislike v30s, but they work great with ENGL amps. I used an Orange style 6x12 clone with my old one, and felt it needed a little more stiffness to it. I usually find Mesa 4x12s pretty stiff, so try one of those out. Also, don't be scared to literally dime the mids on channel 4. Channel 3 has more mids, and might suit the thrash influence more as well. Good luck!

Yea I was somewhat trying to avoid the v30's because of their harshness haha. And im definetly not afraid to dime out my mids, i always put as much midrange as possible before my amp starts to get muddy. I have a fairly old school tone on the eq section, and even somewhat old school gain. I dont like adding a lot of gain except for my lead section. My rythm gain could best be associated with Ride The Lightning era Metallica or Dave Mustaine's tone/gain.

Dvaienat

Reaction score
What is your budget?

If that isn't a prob I'd get a Mesa Stiletto 4x12 and install Celestion K100 or CL80 speakers, or get a Orange PPC412 HP8 which comes loaded with K100s. The Mesa Stiletto cabs are much tighter than the Recto cabs. Many say the Orange cabs are richer sounding than the Mesas, but the Mesa has more note definition.

incinerated_guitar

Reaction score
What is your budget?

If that isn't a prob I'd get a Mesa Stiletto 4x12 and install Celestion K100 or CL80 speakers, or get a Orange PPC412 HP8 which comes loaded with K100s. The Mesa Stiletto cabs are much tighter than the Recto cabs. Many say the Orange cabs are richer sounding than the Mesas, but the Mesa has more note definition.

Im thinking the MOST I want to spend on a cab is 800, because I do plan on buying a second one not too long after the first cab. I was considering a Vader, but I hear they aren't constructed nearly as well as a Mesa.

incinerated_guitar

Reaction score
first of all, I would definitely get a 2x12 because they are easy to handle than 4x12's

for a 2x12 I would definitely go for an orange ppc212

if you don't mind how hard it is to haul around 4x12's I would definitely go for an orange ppc412

orange cabs all the way :hbang:

The problem with a 2x12 for me is the sound doesnt carry well enough, and I'd like to run a full stack. Orange makes amazing cabs imo, but theyre waaaaaaaaay too expensive for me as of now. (Im only 17 haha)

BryanFTWL

#winlosing
Reaction score
Yea I was somewhat trying to avoid the v30's because of their harshness haha. And im definetly not afraid to dime out my mids, i always put as much midrange as possible before my amp starts to get muddy. I have a fairly old school tone on the eq section, and even somewhat old school gain. I dont like adding a lot of gain except for my lead section. My rythm gain could best be associated with Ride The Lightning era Metallica or Dave Mustaine's tone/gain.

99% of the time I HATE v30s. I can't stand playing through them, or listening to others play through them, but playing the Fireball 100, Blackmore, and Invader through them worked. The v30s seemed to fill out what the amps were lacking pretty well.
Seems like you'll be more a fan of channel 3 vs. channel 4.

incinerated_guitar

Reaction score
99% of the time I HATE v30s. I can't stand playing through them, or listening to others play through them, but playing the Fireball 100, Blackmore, and Invader through them worked. The v30s seemed to fill out what the amps were lacking pretty well.
Seems like you'll be more a fan of channel 3 vs. channel 4.

If v30's really make the tone for the Blackmore, would a 1960 do the job pretty well?

teqnick

The only person that liked the new Faceless album
Reaction score
Everyone has suggested Orange, but I stand by Emperor cabs, through and through. I played an Orange right next to an Emperor, and although they have similar construction, the Emperor was percussive, full, and kept it's bottom end tight and pronounced a bit better. You can get an emperor 2x12 with your choice of speakers for under 600, and the cabs are of serious quality.

Oh, and I've played a Fireball 100, VHT Ultra Lead, DAR Tuzzia, and now an Invader through this Emperor. Each of those retained a tight yet percussive bottom end.

incinerated_guitar

Reaction score
Everyone has suggested Orange, but I stand by Emperor cabs, through and through. I played an Orange right next to an Emperor, and although they have similar construction, the Emperor was percussive, full, and kept it's bottom end tight and pronounced a bit better. You can get an emperor 2x12 with your choice of speakers for under 600, and the cabs are of serious quality.

Oh, and I've played a Fireball 100, VHT Ultra Lead, DAR Tuzzia, and now an Invader through this Emperor. Each of those retained a tight yet percussive bottom end.

Ive seen your new Invader and emperor in another post and I gotta say, Im jealous haha:lol: What kind of speakers are in the Emperor?

teqnick

The only person that liked the new Faceless album
Reaction score
I've got a manowar and a tonker in there. It was a tough process for me to get it narrowed down, but those are what I ended up with, and i'm really happy with my choice. They charge 50 for webers, 75 for eminences, an 125 for celestions as an upgrade, but I really like eminences, and there are so many choices from them. Check out the tone guide!

Tone Guide | Eminence Speaker

Dvaienat

Reaction score
Im thinking the MOST I want to spend on a cab is 800, because I do plan on buying a second one not too long after the first cab. I was considering a Vader, but I hear they aren't constructed nearly as well as a Mesa.

Vader's build quality isn't nearly as good as Mesa or Orange. You can easily get either used for $700, but you'll be looking at a bit extra to fit the speakers you desire for the sound you're going for.

sinnersmoon

Reaction score
I played Blackmore through ENGL V30 and V60 box.
I was quite surprised how good standard V60 box sounded. The sound was full and articulated. According to speaker characteristics it should be muddy but it wasn`t.
I must say that Powerball II sounded nowhere near as good as Blackmore through this cab. Nor cleans niether dirty sounds. This cab is not for every ENGL.

With V30 the highs were maybe a bit too piercing but in the band contest it could work fine.

In any case Blackmore is great sounding amp.:hbang:

incinerated_guitar

Reaction score
I played Blackmore through ENGL V30 and V60 box.
I was quite surprised how good standard V60 box sounded. The sound was full and articulated. According to speaker characteristics it should be muddy but it wasn`t.
I must say that Powerball II sounded nowhere near as good as Blackmore through this cab. Nor cleans niether dirty sounds. This cab is not for every ENGL.

With V30 the highs were maybe a bit too piercing but in the band contest it could work fine.

In any case Blackmore is great sounding amp.:hbang:

Well I just might have to look into some v60's then!

KAMI

Mom's Spaghetti
Reaction score
get 2 harley benton g412 vintage cabs and make a full stack

HARLEY BENTON G412A VINTAGE - Thomann UK Cyberstore

HARLEY BENTON G412S VINTAGE - Thomann UK Cyberstore

the build quality is great and the handles are metal and so are the corner guards, it also has v30's :scream:

I've got the 2x12 version and I've got to say it's probably (please don't try and correct me!!!!!!!)the best value cab with v30's out there... you get great build quality and v30's for a comparatively cheap price...

I would totally get a Harley Benton full stack (2 4x12's) I was you

that is my advice anyway

stay djent \D/ :scream:

incinerated_guitar

Reaction score
get 2 harley benton g412 vintage cabs and make a full stack

HARLEY BENTON G412A VINTAGE - Thomann UK Cyberstore

HARLEY BENTON G412S VINTAGE - Thomann UK Cyberstore

the build quality is great and the handles are metal and so are the corner guards, it also has v30's :scream:

I've got the 2x12 version and I've got to say it's probably (please don't try and correct me!!!!!!!)the best value cab with v30's out there... you get great build quality and v30's for a comparatively cheap price...

I would totally get a Harley Benton full stack (2 4x12's) I was you

that is my advice anyway

stay djent \D/ :scream:

Damn those seem pretty cheap, but heres the deal, I live in California, so shipping rates will be huge:(

')