calling all metal players for an apartmen situation

• Thread starter Beagledad70
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Beagledad70

Reaction score
Im a metal guy and I live in an apartment.....I'm all about high gain, shredding, full blown full distortion.....anyway you get the picture.
Currently I play a line6 original Pod Bean 2.0 and it sounds good but I really crave more warmth. Being in an apartment I need more. The Pod sounds great for what it is but I need more. I play it through a JBL studio monitor. I'm also limited with a budget with a limit trying to stay around $100-250 I'm not against used. I'm on disability so funds are very limited so that is why my budget is low .....I may even b stuck with a budget of $150 because I'm going to have to convince the wife which is always a tough quest that I will have to conquer...l.but anyway....I have always lived in an apartment so I have generally stuck with a small setup. I have been thru all kinds of different amps and multi units but I don't know if their has been anything that has come out in the last few years of interest.....I have been playing for 30 years and thru those years I have found the best small amp I have ever touched is the Blackstar ID Core....for a small setup for high gain has there been anything that has come out that is better? I heard the boss katana came out but lot of that for editing you really need a computer which I do not have, I only have an old iPad, so that is out....,.so I'm trying to decide do I get another blackstar Id core or should I get a better multi effects unit? In the past I had the older zoom G3 but the distortion but the distortions were lacking but I have heard the updated one sounds much better......so for high gain metal here are my options......which one would you recommend???

1. Zoom g3n
2. Blackstar ID Core
3. Moore GE100
4. Digitech rp360
5. Boss GT-1
6. Line6 Pocket POD
7. Line6 Amplifi tt
8. Line6 spider amp

I know in the early 90s the spider amps were not very good but I don't know if they hav improved or not.....I was just leaning more towards something that was more recent with updated,modern sound/technology since The recent stuff tends to sound better......so which one would fit me best? Which gets your vote?

I do not live in an area that has any guitar shops that I can go to, to try any of these out.....so please help me decide...luckily if I do not dig it I can always return it so please let me know which gets your vote

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
The pocket pod is the same as the pod 2.0 sounds, for what it’s worth.

If you’re not unhappy with the Pod 2.0 you could try adding something like a Mooer Radar impulse loader and disabling the cab sim on the pod. Line 6’s Achilles heel has always been their cab sims in my opinion.

The Radar also has power amp sim, and eq so it would add a lot of tweaking options.

Maybe not as ‘sexy’ as the other options since it’s not a new amp, but the cab (or cab sim) have a significant effect on the sound.

This could also leave you open to expansion in the future, with regard to preamp pedals (AMT, Mooer micro preamps, etc) since you’d have poweramp and cab sim covered in the Radar.

I also have an old Pod 2.0 bean (and pod pro, same thing but in rack format) that I still use sometimes, it greatly benefits from a tubescreamer or similar boost.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sezna

undermotivated
Contributor
Reaction score
Get the Fortin NTS suite or Nameless plugin. It'll sound better than any of those options.
Pending his computer and interface don't have much latency, which given his budget and current gear I doubt.

Mooer is going to be your friend here, the mooer preamp pedals (especially the Diezel one) are absolutely killer. Run it into a mooer radar and then you can use headphones or whatever. Or, spend another $80 and get the baby bomb power amp. If you can swing it, the Mooer preamp live will also give you a ton of versatility.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
I haven't played the Mooer GE100 so I can't comment on it, but I've played all the others on your list, I also own a BlackStar ID Core 20 (MK I).

The ID Core is quite good, and I assume the MKII is even better. It has a good variety of sounds from clean to mid gain and super high gain; not to mention, it has onboard effects which are pretty good as well.
What I like about the ID Core is you get two speakers in the combo and it makes such a small amp sound much better than other amps its size, and it compliments the effects as well, having two speakers.

Considering your price range and lack of computer I think the ID Core is a good option.

Alternatively, you could look for a used POD HD.

Last edited:

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
I'd go for upgrading to an external IR for your pod, you can change the power amp sims in the mooer radar for more warmth and your monitors are already pretty good.

Radars have dropped to about 148 new to 125-135 used

In the future if you get more savvy with computers you can put even more IRs into the radar through USB

Beagledad70

Reaction score
I'd go for upgrading to an external IR for your pod, you can change the power amp sims in the mooer radar for more warmth and your monitors are already pretty good.

Radars have dropped to about 148 new to 125-135 used

In the future if you get more savvy with computers you can put even more IRs into the radar through USB
.....so if I'm understanding this correctlyI can go from my guitar into the radar then into my pod? Also do you think it would drastically improve my quality of guitar tones?

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
guitar > pod > radar > your monitor inputs

Also yes, absolutely.

Shask

Reaction score
Yeah, the Radar may not be a bad idea. You could bypass the cab in the POD, and then use the Radar as an EQ and cab sim in its place. I have some of those Mooer Preamp pedals, and the Radar, and it is a pretty cool little combo. With a few other mini pedals like Chorus, Delay, Reverb, etc.... it makes for a nice little practice rig.

The only other thing I know of in that price range is Zoom, but you said you didn't like them. I have a G1on that is pretty killer for the $50 it costs. I have not tried the G3n.

The Katana is amazing also, but the best one is the head with a cab, like a 212 cab. That is way over budget. I do not like it much with headphones or direct. It needs a cab to sound its best. However, you could possibly find a used Boss GT-1 in your price range.

Another idea is to pick up an older PODxt or X3. That will give you a newer generation Line 6, and they can be found cheap.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
If you have a laptop get an interface and use VST’s via headphone. Best sound and you can buy the pieces slowly while using freeware in the interim.

LePou is free
Reaper is “free”
A Scarlett 2i2 is like $200 new
Decent Headphones are like $150-200 new.

sezna

undermotivated
Contributor
Reaction score
If you have a laptop get an interface and use VST’s via headphone. Best sound and you can buy the pieces slowly while using freeware in the interim.

LePou is free
Reaper is “free”
A Scarlett 2i2 is like $200 new
Decent Headphones are like $150-200 new.
i think weve established his computer would not run these effectively

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
I think you’re best bet is the suggested IR loader for your POD. There are lots of great sounds in those old modelers with good cab sims.

MYGFH

Music your GF hates
Reaction score
Apartment player here! (hopefully not for long) I'm playing thru the headphone out of a Boss Katana 50. Headphone output has speaker emulator. Sounds great.
*NOTE: the amp cannot be used without being 100% usb tethered to a laptop and using the Katana app. Stock settings are poop. And there is zero way to load a preset to the amp. Then take just the amp, no laptop, to a friend's place and expect to do anything except throw it at the wall.
But if it's being parked in your bedroom next to a computer it is great.

Breeding The Spawn

Reaction score
Check out a used Digitech GSP1101, update the firmware to c63, upload 10 IR's from a borrowed PC. But right out of the box it's a good unit if you don't have access to a pc.

dhgrind

Reaction score
+1 on the gsp1101 I miss mine. Beat the shit out of the pod hd 500x, competed pretty well with my axe fx 2.

Used it on a few recordings and the firmware update for cab loading made it fantastic.

Beyond that, check vst’s or the mooer preamp line.

Check reverb for used gear and save $$$

Beagledad70

Reaction score
What happened to the Pod XT I sent you?
That is what I'm playing thru right now, m looking at my options.....I'm going to be running into some cash when I get disability and I'm trying to figure no a way to warm up that high gain tone for use in an apartment.....Im trying to figure out a way to get a better tee tone, while the pod 2.0 is good I'm lookin for better

Catalyst Collide

Reaction score
I was going to say interface and fortin or th3, but reread and saw the computer bit.
The katana is great, don't own but but have tried it and heard it a lot. Even without a computer you can get great tones.
I own a Yamaha THR10X and it's fantastic. Had a lot of people comment on how great it sounds. For a bedroom player they're hard to beat. If you hunt and bargain, you can probably find a used one for $150 - I think I paid about that, maybe a little more when I bought mine used 2 years ago. You can definitely get one for under $200.