Can a EVH 5150 III approximate Marshall and Recto tones?

• Thread starter Paincakes
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Just buy an AB/Y, EVH5153 EL34, and 5153 Stealth. You'll nail all those tones and more. And you'll be cool. Like me. :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bearitone

Reaction score
I used it fairly loud at band practice and a few gigs. It sounds great, but when I use my tube amps, there's an immediacy and "punchiness" that I just don't get with the Axe FX / Powestage / Mesa 2x12. Granted through the PA, the audience would absolutely not tell the difference. I'm not knocking modelers, I love em too (I have an FM3 on the way lol) but since they helped me narrow down 3 amps that I do like, I figure might has well get the real deal to add to my collection.

For those keeping track at home, I'm currenyl leaning towards biting the bullet, not compromise, and slowly save up for all 3 amps, starting with the recto. Yolo.
Get a triple then!

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
Get an Invective. Run it at 60w at home and 120w during gigs. It has a Master Volume that is very controllable. The Lead channel is closer to a Recto since it is looser, rawer and grindier than a 5150III and is the real 5150 sound. The onboard boost gets you AC/DC dirty plexi-ish tones in the clean channel, EVH in the Crunch channel and ultra tight tones in the lead channel.

Latest posts

')