Can a Filtertron style pickup do Metal?

Annonnymous

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm wondering how would a filtertron/Gretsch style pickup sound for metal. I'm thinking of something like the tone of Dissection's Reinkaos, that's not really gainy and is more on the clean side, at least from my perspective. I like that the Filtertron is articulate, and not as thin as a single coil (I hate single coils!).
The question is not whether or not should I buy one for metal, that's crazy, lol. I'm asking how well will it sound and what kind of other gear would I need to make it heavy enough?
Has anyone tried playing metal with one of these pups?
Thanks in advance!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
Idk but Burnt by the Sun is all Rickenbacker 650D and 5150

36972__1_d0a886d4-58da-4941-bb12-84e973ba39fe_720x720.jpg

Mprinsje

st. anger ain't bad!
Reaction score
Yes they can. One of the guitarists from Cult of Luna uses a rickenbacker with filtertron style pickups. Also the other guitarist of my own band played a fender cabronita tele for the longest time. Sounded really good.

I haven't seen anyone outside of the whole sludge/stoner genres use filtertrons though. I guess they do work best for slow stuff.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Why not just go low output humbucker?

wakjob

Reaction score
Yep...
and with as much twang as a Filtertron pu has, it would probably do the prog./djent thing fairly well too.

The ones I've played as low as drop D were tight.

Annonnymous

Reaction score
Why not just go low output humbucker?
Cause I don't intend on buying another guitar, that I won't need anyway. A PAF style humbucker is ideal for cleans and soft music but I already have a guitar with Filtertron style pickups (a Harley Benton with Roswell FLT, which sounds really nice for what you pay for it).
And BTW I already have a Nazgul equipped 7 string that is ideal for death and all kinds of chugs but I was wondering how well could a filtertron driven guitar perform in such a setting.

Thanks for the answers everybody :)

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
If you already have a guitar with filtertrons why don't you just try it

Exactly. Weird. Hey, I own something but I'm wondering how it will sound. Lol

Annonnymous

Reaction score
I don't have a band currently and I can't turn up the volume really loud in my apartment. Plus hearing it in a band setting is completely different. Hence my question.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't have a band currently and I can't turn up the volume really loud in my apartment. Plus hearing it in a band setting is completely different. Hence my question.

But you would find out when you join another band.

Annonnymous

Reaction score
But you would find out when you join another band.
That might not be soon lol.
To my ears it sounds pleasant even with "high" gain. Like Pre-Gain on 7 on the green channel on a 6505 MH + a boost.
Was just interested in other people's opinions about filtertrons and metal music, cause there are not a lot of topics about that, if any.