Can an audio interface reduce latency if it's inputs are not used?

Melodeth

Reaction score
Hi guys, :imnew:

I'm a complete noob when it comes to recording and I was hoping someone could help me with what I hope is a straightforward question.

I've been trying to record soft string section intros for my metal songs using some software (Garritan Instant Orchestra plus Reaper) and a keyboard that connects to my computer exclusively via USB terminal (it has no Midi out or anything). The problem is that I have been getting latency which I'm hoping to reduce by buying an audio interface since I need one for recording guitar anyway.

My question is: if I buy a Roland Duo Capture EX audio interface will I be able to have it run audio outputs to reduce the latency of my keyboard signal even though the keyboard will not be connected to the interface but rather to the computer's USB port directly? That is to say, can I use the interface to bypass windows audio routing and act as my soundcard even when it's inputs are not being used by the keyboard?

Hopefully that made some sort of sense, and I'm not just spewing nonsense.

I was also wondering if anyone had used the Duo Capture EX and could speak to it's quality.

Anyway thanks so much for the help.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I think you would need plug straight into the Audio Interface for it to work probably. Why dont you think of investing in a decent sound card? :)

Kurkkuviipale

Another Sinking ....
Reaction score
The latency is due to bad audio buffering drivers. Basically, USB-midi will only add up to few milliseconds of latency, whereas bad audio drivers can go to hundreds of milliseconds, depending on what buffer size you use. Audio interfaces come with external audio drivers, coded to work with the interface. So yes, it will reduce latency - and the better interface you get, the less latency you will get.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
If you download ASIO4ALL and use that for a driver I expect you'll be ok using your current soundcard.

Melodeth

Reaction score
Ok thanks for the replies guys. I'm actually already using ASIO4ALL and the latency still sucks so I'll have to do some more research into audio interfaces since I need one for recording guitar anyway.

')