Can I get some honest feedback on this track?

BTD_Austin

Reaction score
My band Believe the Deceiver released an EP last month and I was looking for some honest feedback. We are a progressive deathcore band from Phoenix Arizona. We already established in another thread that you don't like the vocals haha so any other areas for improvement or suggestions would be awesome. Thanks!

Believe the Deceiver - Empty Conscience - YouTube

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GizmoJunior

Reaction score
As mentioned you guys are gonna need some more riffage. The tapping is awesome but it can be a little overwhelming. By adding other elements it'll make the techniques you're using stand out more. The production is a little muddy and kinda makes it hard to distinguish some of what's going on. You all definitely have potential though! I don't wanna just focus on the negative aspects. Overall the skill level is pretty high.

DarkWolfXV

Excised n anatomised
Reaction score
Behold the very harsh criticism.

Firstly, your band is not progressive. Its technical. Know the difference (There is more than one). The snare is weak, the vocals are weak (2:25 is the worst thing i have ever heard vocalwise), the guitars are decent and quite meaty. Bass doesn't stand out in any way (Maybe only in the intro). You cant hear much of drums other than the kick, it takes up like everything, overall the mix is very unbalanced.

Secondly, it needs more riffs, its 60% chugging and jumpdafuckup nu metal/djent, 30% sweeping, 10% actual riffing. It seems like you are trying to copy Rings of Saturn in some parts, but it doesn't go well, because the chugging is boring and repetitive, sweeps are ok at best, and riffing is just bad. The "ambient" parts are really useless and not well done. Drum parts are ok, and it would be cool if i actually could hear them.

But hey, i like your cover artwork.

3/10 would not bang

Reaction score
To be honest, that sounds like someone put multiple takes together and tried to mix it into something. Could do without that synth sounding intro. And I agree with DarkWolf, that last minute of vocals were awful. There's also no riff or lead section to help the song. What's there is boring and repetitive. For a song that's about three and a half minutes long it does nothing to justify it's length. And one last thing, did the bass player participate in the recording?

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
Tapping parts need more context and melody I'm going to agree with everyone else so far and repeat myself from when you last asked for crits: Riffage. More unconventional song structuring, more song writing components, different drum riffs/patterns

Admirable set of influences. Try out some augmented chords and different chord voicings Like VoM or Haunted Shores. The best math/prog/core bands will have all sorts of techniques and song structure tricks at their disposal in addition to chuggahs and 0-0-000-00-0. That's why bands like The Schoenburg Automaton, Corelia, Chon and The Kymatica are so fucking neato.

The snippet at around 1:34 features a little bit of what I'm talking about

You've been a good sport so far and I hope you continue to strive to improve.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
"The Schoenberg Automaton"? Possibly the worst band name I've heard all year.

MikeK

Reaction score
All of the "core" parts kill it for me, and I like breakdowns haha. Some good parts in there though man!

locke3891

Reaction score
I didn't care for some of the vocals. I thought most of it was cool, but the bass could come up in the mix. I think you have a unique style. Not something I am into right now, but a niche and not bad at what it felt like you were meaning to accomplish throughout the song.

jwade

Doooooooooom
Reaction score
I don't like this type of vocals, at all. I think they detract from the music a lot (especially the last minute or so, absolutely terrible). As for the music, the intro part was painfully loud, and like others have said, there's too much of the typical chug chug chug breakdown stuff. This honestly just sounds like someone trying really hard to be 2 or 3 bands that have already run this style into the ground.

It's pretty clear that the guitarist has some impressive technical chops, and the guitar sound is thick as shit, but I think those are wasted on a band like this.

also, Believe The Deceiver? No, guys. Using a How typical of a shitty 'core' name can we get generator was a bad idea.

ricknasty1985

I Am Hated
Reaction score
Guitars are impressive for sure, the chugs are boring and predictable though. Some riffing would have been nice. Vocals definitely bring the song down unfortunately. It seems to me like you have locked your writing into what you think the 'scene' will like and pushed all of your creativity aside. Dude you got chops...

Write for yourselves is my tip.

facepalm66

The Master of Joints
Reaction score
The tone also sounds like it's computerized or something in some pleaces.

The vocals suck, sorry for being all straight - forward. In addition to that, I could play a game of 'I'll give a buck for every sentence you understand and say it to me' (Or maybe it's just me, wanting lyrics to bring some sort of idea, not only for the need of a vocalist, becouse it's a standard)

In addition to that, overdubbing vocals, those gang shouts etc. is so mainstream now. And no, IT DOES NOT SOUND GOOD.

Just my two cents.

Edit: I also scooped on some of your other songs on YT, some of them has some decent riffs in there. I bet you could make something more less-generic and original stuff.
And grab a new vocalist (or quit if you are the one doing them...).

Latest posts

')