Can I play a hollowbody through a distorted amp without killing small children?

• Thread starter Charles
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Charles

Happy Metal
Reaction score
I found an Eastman hollowbody, a really nice one, actually, for exactly 1000 dollars.

While I do play a good bit of jazz, I don't want to invest that kind of dough for something I'll only be using, say, 15% of my guitar playing time.

So here's the question, can I run a hollowbody with gain without killing everyone with feedback?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
depends how hollow it is. I wouldnt do it with anything past a semi-hollow, as I tried with my old Ibanez hollowbody and it feedback like crazy..

Its ok kinda with a semi-hollow tho; got a semi Les Paul right now that can sound ok, but not great.

The best would be to get something chambered, so it still maintains that hollow-esqe jazzy tone, yet can handle some distortion. Kinda like the Carvin Holdsworth models.

Im looking at getting a used Carvin AE185, they are semi-hollow but have two humbuckers so they sound great, and from clips on youtube, people played really heavy overdrived tone and it didnt feedback/squeel on them. and its a Carvin so big +1 there.

Murmel

Reaction score
Benjamin Burnley from Breaking Benjamin does it.
So yeah, I suppose it's possible ;)

Edit: As Nick said, if it's a hollow then It could be risky. Semi-hollow shouldn't be too much trouble. Wont sound as good as a solid body.

MSalonen

Reaction score
Emil Werstler from Daath does it.

photo.jpg

Dehumanize

Banned
Reaction score
I've used a semi-hollow body (ES-335) without any problems, and it sounded great. I'm not sure if a hollow body would be any different, but if there's too much feedback, just get a noise suppressor.

CFB

Reaction score
It's possible, but why not just remove all the small children before?:evil:

Chumple Spuzz

Righteous Dude
Reaction score
ive played a crappy epiphone dot semi hollow through a big muff pi before and it actually sounded really nice.

of course, i didnt turn it up that much...:rolleyes:

troyguitar

Reaction score
Ted Nugent has done it for 40 years, though recently he's been playing regular LP's mainly I think. Back in the day he used huge hollow bodies (Gibson Byrdland I think).

Sometimes people do things like stuff towels in the body and/or cover the F-holes to help eliminate feedback.

FWB

Reaction score
As troyguitar said, Ted Nugent cranks those 5150's pretty loud and he can control feedback just fine. With a good EQ, you can probably EQ out frequencies that are especially troublesome. Also, make sure you're using high quality pickups that are potted, and perhaps not outputting like crazy. You can put shit in the guitar so it feeds back less too.

Keytarist

Reaction score
Maybe a combo amp with a built-in notchfilter would help. I don't know if those are available also for electric guitar beside acoustic, though.
Or a anti-feedback processor is a possible solution. Roland AF-70.

Caveman

Caveman
Reaction score
you could reinvent music to love feedback. i mean whos to say that feedback wont be the new "it". you could be that guy. that guy to have "it"

Latest posts

')