Can I replace a LFR lopro with a Gotoh?

• Thread starter Tawlks
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Tawlks

Reaction score
I have an LTD Mh400, and I think I need to replace the trem, it won't stay in tune as well as I'd like and I've had issues with the cheap metal on the saddles forcing the strings to slip and grooves to form (part user error aswell, over tightennig the studs)

I'm wanting to replace the lo profile lic floyd with a standard Gotoh, the post/post measurements are 94 for both and the string/saddle spacing is also fine, however I'm not sure about the other measurements, of which I cannot get info about.

Does anyone have similar experience with this?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Measure your route, and compare it to this:

SB-5300-010-3.jpg

The source is from Allparts, it's the measurements of the non low profile Gotoh FR.

The only thing from here that I would still worry about is the length of the string lock bolts that stick out the back of the Gotoh. How much clearance does your route have as is?

Tawlks

Reaction score
Measure your route, and compare it to this:

SB-5300-010-3.jpg

The source is from Allparts, it's the measurements of the non low profile Gotoh FR.

The only thing from here that I would still worry about is the length of the string lock bolts that stick out the back of the Gotoh. How much clearance does your route have as is?

Thanks. I measured it, but I need to find where I wrote it down. It has about 6mm from the back of the lo pro floyd to the rear edge of the rout. I have no intension of doing pullups, so would it be a problem? Am I right in thinking the longer string lock bolts petruding from the back of the guitar are raised above the bassplate so wouldn't foul the top of the guitar if they were too long?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well, if you only want the trem to be a dive only unit (no pull ups) you're correct in assuming they are slightly above the baseplate.

Though, since the original trem was made to be recessed and allow for both up and down movement, the studs are set lower than a typical dive only set-up. That means that you're going to have to shim the neck to compensate for the trem being higher then the recessed one was. This will allow you to get a low action.

As for the back of the guitar, by the route, you'll want to place a small, thin piece of foam to keep the string lock bolts that extend out the back from destroying the guitar's top on the return from a dive.

This is all assuming it doesn't fit in the route, which it could. I recommend e-mailing a Gotoh dealer and asking if they can measure a unit for you.

Tawlks

Reaction score
Well, if you only want the trem to be a dive only unit (no pull ups) you're correct in assuming they are slightly above the baseplate.

Though, since the original trem was made to be recessed and allow for both up and down movement, the studs are set lower than a typical dive only set-up. That means that you're going to have to shim the neck to compensate for the trem being higher then the recessed one was. This will allow you to get a low action.

As for the back of the guitar, by the route, you'll want to place a small, thin piece of foam to keep the string lock bolts that extend out the back from destroying the guitar's top on the return from a dive.

This is all assuming it doesn't fit in the route, which it could. I recommend e-mailing a Gotoh dealer and asking if they can measure a unit for you.

Okay, that's very helpful... but I intend on using the studs that are already fittted in my guitar, if possible. it's a neck through model so shimming the neck is out of the quesion. I emailed ESP earlier today, I'm awaiting a reply from them.

I do own a Jackson KVx10 with a licenced standard floyd, I could take it out and see if it fits my LTD.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Okay, that's very helpful... but I intend on using the studs that are already fittted in my guitar, if possible. it's a neck through model so shimming the neck is out of the quesion. I emailed ESP earlier today, I'm awaiting a reply from them.

I do own a Jackson KVx10 with a licenced standard floyd, I could take it out and see if it fits my LTD.

It's not the studs/posts themselves that are the issue, and you shouldn't have to replace them, even though the ones supplied with the Gotoh are of better quality. It's the height at which the trem will be sitting in the route.

A low profile trem sits in it's recess fairly deep, like this:
LoPro%20Edge7%20Normal%20Whammy%20Bar.JPG

See how the whole assembly, including saddles are set low in the route?

This is how a dive only trem sits in it's place:
Floyd_Rose_key_2.JPG

As you can see the whole assembly is sitting higher, including the saddles.

What this means is if you mount a trem such as the one in the second picture, which is dive only, into a guitar meant for a low profile one, the action is going to be VERY high. Normally, a simple neck shim would fix the issue, but on a neck-thru there are no immediately viable options.

Latest posts

')