Can I sing?

• Thread starter JoryGriffin
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JoryGriffin

Reaction score
So I enjoy playing and singing acoustic stuff, but obviously, I have no idea whether I sound any good or not.

Would you like to tell me? :yesway:

It's just the chorus A Smart Kid by Porcupine Tree... recorded on a webcam for that raw purity :rolleyes:

I realise I may be opening up the door some serious punishment here but I want honesty :lol:

Thanks

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

h8leech

Valkyrie Treaty
Reaction score
depends on the style man... like you hear pop/alternative bands all the time with weird vocal styles. them singing by themselves your like WTF! stop!!!!! but you put intresting music behind them and all the sudden you have a top 25 on a billboard chart. I would say. you record your music and listen to it and if you like what you hear .. fuck everyone else..... its your release the music is for you, other peeps enjoying your music is just a bonus man

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
you are a bit flat man, same as me.

if you want to learn to sing properly, take singing classes :yesway:

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
i´ve always wanted to record vocals for some of my songs, but i´ve never had the time to really do it. and when i´ve tried, i´ve never been totally satisfied with my performance. i do sing like all hell once i´m drunk around music i like though :D

edit: forgot to add my contribution to the thread! i think your singing is quite good, though unpolished. you have the right minerals, but haven´t buffed it enough. just keep working on it by singing along to stuff. the important thing is to be your own critic. always assume that it sounds like shit, so you´ll strive harder to get control over your voice. and tighten your belly muscles while you sing. important!

Leec

Woopah!
Contributor
Reaction score
First off, in the grand scheme of things, you're not bad. There are many terrible singers out there (seems like disproportionately lots of them in indy and metalcore bands) who sound ridiculous live, and no one seems to bat an eyelid (leaving me bewildered). You're streets ahead of the bad ones that pop into mind.

Your tuning obviously needs a bit of work, but that comes with practice and time, something I'm guessing you've not put lots of 'in'. But that aside, your vocal style at present is quite inoffensive, so it doesn't sit badly with me. It lacks the necessary refinement, but I'd say if you were shooting for the Porcupine Tree-style, you've got a voice that would suit it with some work. Doesn't seem like you're going to be going in for the vocal gymnastics of, say, Gildenlow, for example.

I'd say with a bit of work, you could quite quickly be at the Jerry Cantrell sort of level, which is a perfectly acceptable level to be at (I wish I was).

My two penneth...

JoryGriffin

Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback guys!

I'd definitely be going for more PT than Gildenlow haha.

I know it's unpolished at best but as long as I have something to build on.

Zand3

ss.org Irregular
Reaction score
Gildenlow is the best. Try recording + producing a full song and see how it comes out; who knows, your voice might come out awesome.

JoryGriffin

Reaction score
Gildenlow definitely is the best :metal: He never ceases to amaze me.

Thanks guys I think this thread is what it took to give me the confidence to actually bother working on my singing :yesway:

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
Not bad man. Some vocal training and you'll be well on your way to being able to do some good stuff.
As mentioned above would like to hear your vocals in a full recorded mix too.

JoryGriffin

Reaction score
Ah yeah, but for that to happen I would need to buy a mic...

Unless you can record vocals through webcams thesedays :lol:

mortega76

Reaction score
Pretty good vocals... To add to what everyone else is saying... I would definitely say you need to open your mouth to enunciate the words more... you also need to "push" more air out so the vocals come out more consistent (in tune) and with a bit more "umph"... either way, good job!!!

Oh, and to post here you have to make sure your guitar is tuned to Dropped Double Zb...

:shred: :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::shred:

xenophist

Reaction score
Try just recording the vocals over a karaoke track of the song. Hear what you are doing wrong, then fix it the next time. Get muscle memory for the different notes. After about a week I am sure you can get that part of that song just right.

Latest posts

')