Can i use the 3 button foot switch with original 6505?

Gmork

Reaction score
the original 6505 comes with a 2 button foot switch that controls
rhythm and lead channels and the 6505+ comes with the 3 button
foot switch that controls the 2 channels while the 3rd button turns
the fx loop on and off right? can i use the 3 button foot switch
with original 6505?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bearitone

Reaction score
I think it might work but one of the buttons would just do nothing. Thats just my guess.
You can find the standard 6505 buttons pretty cheap though. Why are you trying to use the 6505+ version?

Axewield31

Reaction score
I think OP is wondering if the plus footswitch will switch the FX loop on the standard 6505.
That won't work. Either the first two buttons will work and the third won't do anything or the footswitch won't work at all.

Gmork

Reaction score
well i want to buy the original 6505 due to it being a bit more aggressive. but it comes with a 2 button foot switch that turns the rhythm and lead channels on and off. but the 6505+ has a 3 button foot switch that does the same but also has the 3rd button which switches the fx loop in the back on and off. and that is VERY useful to me as i can switch to my clean channel and then hit the loop on switch to get all my "clean fx" like chorus, reverb etc. all at one time. does anyone else know any other educated details about this?

glpg80

√εvil
Reaction score
You're not going to get all 3 button features designed for one amplifier to work with another just by connecting a footswitch that can.

I am positive that if the 6505 does not have a TRS jack for a footswitch, that you will still have channel switching capabilities from lead to clean, and clean to crunch, but nothing to operate the effects loop.

Gmork

Reaction score
so can anyone confirm that the 3 button foot switch with the fx loop button ONLY works with the 6505+?

Shask

Reaction score
The original 5150 has 2 buttons, one goes green to red channel, the other is FX loop on/off.

The 5150+ has 3 buttons, one is green to red, one is FX loop, and the other turns the crunch switch on/off on the green channel.

The footswitches have 2 different kinds of plugs. The 5150 is a stereo 1/4" plug, and the 5150+ has a 5-pin DIN plug. They wouldn't even be able to plug into each other.

Gmork

Reaction score
oh! they both have the loop on/off switch!. ok then, THREAD CLOSED. thanks

Lokasenna

Reaction score
NO.

The 6505 does not have a switchable FX loop - the circuitry is not there. At all. Plugging in a three-button footswitch isn't going to magically let you do something the amp can't do.

Bearitone

Reaction score
My 6505 foot switch has an effects on/off button. Don't know what you guys are talking about

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
^it may not be labeled "loop" or "fx" but the only footswitchable functions on the 6505 head are the channel and loop on/off. The footswitch on my 6505 combo says "channel" and "boost" but the functions on the amp are channel and reverb on/off, which the footswitch does :yesway:

Lokasenna

Reaction score
Alright, my mistake - I didn't realize the combo (which I have) and the head would be that different.

The combo lets you switch between lead/rhythm and reverb. The head doesn't have a reverb tank, so the footswitch gives you lead/rhythm and the FX loop instead.

The answer to the original question of "can I use a three button switch" is still the same though - it will plug in, but you can only switch those two things.

Sorry if I made any confusion worse.

Gmork

Reaction score
nah its ok. ive got it all figured out. i was the one who was wrong and maybe confusing anyone else who may have been wondering. they both have a switch for the fx loop. awesome.