Can the gsp1101 compair to the axefx

• Thread starter ozzman619
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ozzman619

Reaction score
i know that the gsp1101 really doesnt hold up much to the axefx but i really cant afford a axefx atm without pretty much being completely broke afterwords, on the other hand, i can afford a gsp1101.

so im wondering if the gsp1101 is a decent enough amp to gig with and play in a band while i save up some more money until i can get an axefx

also not really a random question but, can the axefx use any midi footswitch or does it have to use the fractal audio one?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

djpharoah

Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's decent enough to gig with sure. I found it excelled at the 5150 and marshall low-mid gain amps. The Mesa Amps on it just sucked imo and it couldn't get a thick and heavy tone.

Does it compare to the Axe-FX? No but then one costs like $300 and one costs $1500... besides costs I'd have to say no where near but that doesn't mean it's not a great little unit.

Heavy Ed

singlecoil goodness
Reaction score
Definately good enough to gig with. Going on 3 years with mine and no probs. When i got mine (pre axe-fx II) i bought a rack case, gsp1101, gsp controller, power conditioner, power amp, and 31 band eq for under the price of an axe-fx standard. With the mustbebeta updates and some tweeking you can get some very usable tones. I also got some free cab IRs to go with it. You don't get the full effect of the cab IRs in the unit but they're still better than the cab sims that come with the gsp.

ozzman619

Reaction score
so its not cheap and electronic sounded like most other digitech products?, also does it have the thing to run directly into the mixer and into a cab onstage , i cant remember what its called.

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
Can't even compare the two. If you do, the GSP is shit. But for the price, and if you're willing to work at it, you can get some really good sounding stuff.

ozzman619

Reaction score
Can't even compare the two. If you do, the GSP is shit. But for the price, and if you're willing to work at it, you can get some really good sounding stuff.

i know the gsp1101 compaired to the axefx is pretty much crap, but i mean i currently cant afford buying the axe fx so im just wondering will it due for now until i buy my axefx

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
1101 is good, 2 years with mine. But its getting dated. For less $ than the 1101/Control 2 you can get an hd500. I've heard the sims put up against Fractal and it holds its own. I'm gonna keep mine for a rackmount overdrive and EQ if nothing else.

L1ght

Truth Over Triumph
Reaction score
If you're a broke as summa bitch, is this thing worth the money? I really want something *like* an axe-fx to tweak my tone and to be able to use a bunch of different effects and what not, but I can't pay the Axe-Fx premium.

Is this a good buy?

Also, would this connect to the effects loop on my 6505 combo amp? Anyone know about that?

Gyver

Reaction score
the GSP is the best bang for your buck IMO. I use it on my rig for effects only. The delays/reverbs are made by lexicon which are superb. If you dont have good interface to record guitar, you can use it for that too, the cab sims suck but you can always use impulses. You can run it in your loop no problem, and run effects pre and post amp which is awesome, it has 4 cable method capability and doesn't color your tone much. If you get tired of your preamp section on your amp, you can experiment with the amps within it and use your amp only to power it to shape a desired tone. I got mine for 230, it owns my old g major in almost every way, and its super easy to use. Its the easiest front panel interface I have ever used.

Larrikin666

Deadite
Reaction score
I have to strongly disagree about the GSP being the best bang for your buck. You still need to buy a controller for the GSP. You can get a Line 6 POD HD500 for around the same (sometime less) price...and you won't need to purchase additional gear to get going. It's much closer to matching the modeling capabilities of the Axe-FX than the GSP. I've owned the Axe-FX Ultra, Axe-FX II, POD HD, POD HD500, and Digitech GSP1101. The Digitech sounded "okay" at best. I managed to get some acceptable tones from it, but it felt very stiff and unresponsive. I was incredibly disappointed with the quality of the effects.

ozzman619

Reaction score
I have to strongly disagree about the GSP being the best bang for your buck. You still need to buy a controller for the GSP. You can get a Line 6 POD HD500 for around the same (sometime less) price...and you won't need to purchase additional gear to get going. It's much closer to matching the modeling capabilities of the Axe-FX than the GSP. I've owned the Axe-FX Ultra, Axe-FX II, POD HD, POD HD500, and Digitech GSP1101. The Digitech sounded "okay" at best. I managed to get some acceptable tones from it, but it felt very stiff and unresponsive. I was incredibly disappointed with the quality of the effects.

can the pod hd500 be run as a pre-amp? ive been looking into it because although the gsp1101 seems cheap since i live in canada after duties and taxes its going to cost me a min of $750 for just it and the foot controller, and if the pod hd500 is just as good ill be grabbing it since there are a few sellers locally selling used ones for $450

BuckarooBanzai

Reaction score
An Axe-Fx is the only thing you really need in your rack besides possibly a power amp and a conditioner, and Standards can be had for <$1200 on eBay at the moment. I'd do it and buy a dirt-cheap MIDI board (FCB1010, Rolls Midi-whatever, Peak FCB4N).

If there's one thing I've learned over the years, it's go big or go home, unless you want to lose money, productivity, and happiness in the process.

pantera95

Reaction score
You mentioned you might just get the 1101 until you have enough for the axe fx. I'd recommend saving up, and getting what you really want. You might go without for a while, but in the end, you'll have a much better product.

Don't buy twice is my advice. Buy what you want first, and nothing in between. Get yourself an axe fx and you'll enjoy it, and be eager to play guitar much more. There's nothing worse than being stuck with gear and having huge GAS.

ozzman619

Reaction score
You mentioned you might just get the 1101 until you have enough for the axe fx. I'd recommend saving up, and getting what you really want. You might go without for a while, but in the end, you'll have a much better product.

Don't buy twice is my advice. Buy what you want first, and nothing in between. Get yourself an axe fx and you'll enjoy it, and be eager to play guitar much more. There's nothing worse than being stuck with gear and having huge GAS.

see i would love to just wait and buy an axe fx but it'll be like a 6 month wait, but my current amp is pretty close to unplayable live (marshall mg100hdfx just sounds like garbage live once it gets mixed in with everything else) so i was looking for something just to use as a temp til i get the axe fx then just sell what i got as a temp

ozzman619

Reaction score
An Axe-Fx is the only thing you really need in your rack besides possibly a power amp and a conditioner, and Standards can be had for <$1200 on eBay at the moment. I'd do it and buy a dirt-cheap MIDI board (FCB1010, Rolls Midi-whatever, Peak FCB4N).

If there's one thing I've learned over the years, it's go big or go home, unless you want to lose money, productivity, and happiness in the process.

ive never seen a axe fx go for <$1200 and even if it did it would end up still costing me at least $1500 to get it up to canada

also rarely people will ship to canada off ebay

DraggAmps

Reaction score
ive never seen a axe fx go for <$1200 and even if it did it would end up still costing me at least $1500 to get it up to canada

also rarely people will ship to canada off ebay

Check the classifieds here and on the other couple of major gear forums. I've seen Axe Standards sell for $1050 and $1100 just recently even. I just paid $1450 for an Ultra with an included USB-MIDI cable, a 20 foot MIDI cabe, and a Rocktron MidiMate controller which isn't half bad. It shouldn't be hard to get someone to ship to Canada. It's pretty painless to ship from the States to Canada.

ozzman619

Reaction score
Check the classifieds here and on the other couple of major gear forums. I've seen Axe Standards sell for $1050 and $1100 just recently even. I just paid $1450 for an Ultra with an included USB-MIDI cable, a 20 foot MIDI cabe, and a Rocktron MidiMate controller which isn't half bad. It shouldn't be hard to get someone to ship to Canada. It's pretty painless to ship from the States to Canada.

damn thats a sick deal you got there, and it really is painless to ship to canada i dont get what the big deal is.

Kairos

Quintessentially So
Reaction score
It's decent enough to gig with sure. I found it excelled at the 5150 and marshall low-mid gain amps. The Mesa Amps on it just sucked imo and it couldn't get a thick and heavy tone.

Does it compare to the Axe-FX? No but then one costs like $300 and one costs $1500... besides costs I'd have to say no where near but that doesn't mean it's not a great little unit.

:agreed:

This hit the nail on the head. However, I'd be looking at an HD500, not an 1101. :2c:

Ben.Last

Formerly Lern2Swim
Reaction score

The GSP is an analog to the HD Pro, not the HD500. The RP series would be the analog to the floorboard HD pods.

')