Can the gsp1101 compair to the axefx

• Thread starter ozzman619
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

book_of_lies777

Reaction score
yes, the Axe FX is better, but look at the difference in price - it fucking BETTER be better! Of course, many new products will come out as technology improves, but good tone never becomes obsolete.

The GSP1101 is perfectly capable of doing studio-quality tones, and holding up live as well. And the fact that with the beta firmware updates(the newest is c63) you can use cab impulses LIVE(not just recording), it takes it to a whole new level.

Here's just a few international touring pros that either use or have used the GSP1101 in their live rigs:

Glenn Tipton of Judas Priest
(I could stop right there, but here's some more)
Rob Arnold of Chimaira
Dan Donegan of Disturbed
Jack Owen of Cannibal Corpse/Deicide
Dave Mustaine & Chris Broderick of Megadeth
CJ Pierce of Drowning Pool
(I'm sure there are lots of non-metal players using it too, but I'm a metal guy, so these are ones I'm familiar with)

So the capability is there in the unit - if YOU(or I) dial in a crappy tone, well, that's our fault.

Here's a guy named Jason playing live with the GSP1101 here(he's the lead player with the Strat. It's southern rock{doing a cover of The Marshall Tucker Band's "Can't You See", but they throw in some Guns & Roses too}, but his tone is killer):

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Larrikin666

Deadite
Reaction score
The GSP is an analog to the HD Pro, not the HD500. The RP series would be the analog to the floorboard HD pods.

Not really. The HD500 and HD Pro have 99% of the same functionality. The Pro added a few very minor new effects and amps, but they're the same at the end of the day. Except the fact that you need to buy a midi controller for the Pro. The HD500 is everything you need right out of the box.

jeb

Reaction score
GSP1101 user here.

I switch my old pod pro to the gsp to get the 5150 sound.

my live rig is gsp, marshall 9200, avatar 4X12 vintage 30 loaded. And I just like it!

Do I want an axefx? sure!!!! but I just don't need it, I have a good tone, and I don't have a shit load of cash.

GSP1101 + fcb1010 = cheap setup.

For me a modeler direct on the floor is a no go... I don't want to risk an expensive piece of equipement with beer all over the stage hehe

Ben.Last

Formerly Lern2Swim
Reaction score
Not really. The HD500 and HD Pro have 99% of the same functionality. The Pro added a few very minor new effects and amps, but they're the same at the end of the day. Except the fact that you need to buy a midi controller for the Pro. The HD500 is everything you need right out of the box.

Yes, really. Because that's pretty much exactly the same relation that the GSP and RP series have.

book_of_lies777

Reaction score
GSP1101 user here.

I switch my old pod pro to the gsp to get the 5150 sound.

have you done the beta firmware update(c63 is the latest version)? You get the 5150 amp in there(plus some other amps & effects), plus the ability to use up to 10 custom cab impulses. I've got the Redwirez Bigbox series and the impulses in there are KILLER.

Albionic

First of the magi
Reaction score
to be honest live i doubt many audiences would notice a difference after a few beers

book_of_lies777

Reaction score
to be honest live i doubt many audiences would notice a difference after a few beers

absolutely agree 100%.

You know how many non-musicians have asked me about guitars or amps or anything? NONE. Not a single one.

People just wanna hear a cool tune... they could care less HOW we do what we do.

We really do make this stuff hard for ourselves... LOL :lol:

jeb

Reaction score
Yes! i run mine on the c63 version. I've just started to play with the impulse loaded in.

My favorite impulse of all time is the spres high from catharsis but I found it a little bit nasal when loaded in the gsp.

I'll check the redwirez!! thanks for the tip.

By the way the 5150 model is really killer!!!!

And the video blake1970 really don't do justice to the unit hehe

book_of_lies777

Reaction score
although I use different impulses for different amps, some of my faves from Redwirez are the 4x12 Marshall 1960a with Greenbacks(which they give away for FREE), the Mesa oversized 4x12, and the Bogner Uberkab 4x12 with G12T-75s.

I almost always use the standard SM57 1" away from the cone, as I find the cap/cap edge abit ice picky sometimes. The cone is way warmer sounding.

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
Finally figured out the whammy on mine afer 2 years, lol. Used it last show and people were freaking out. As for comparability, you just gotta factor in what you're willing to spend, what you're willing to live with, and what fits you tonally. I'm phasing out the models cause I pretty much need 1 voicing, and I found it the Peavey Ultra. Only thing different is I need a clean with chorus/delay, and a clean with a Univibe for a few songs. The clean on the Ultra is so dirt free, I actually had to throw the Redline OD in front of it for a hint of dirt.

')