Can you guys give some feedback on my alternate picking?

• Thread starter will_shred
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

will_shred

Wannabe audio engineer
Reaction score
Super fast and accurate alternate picking has always been something I've seen as beyond me. However, that wasn't going to stop me from trying. So I've been practicing a shit ton, getting this down. I think this video gives a good view of both my hands, if you guys can spot any areas that I should work on, constructive feedback would be really appreciated!

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=770815302979128&set=vb.100001519953832&type=2&theater

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

will_shred

Wannabe audio engineer
Reaction score
How so? I've heard a lot of good constructive criticism of my playing before, you're the first to say that my vibrato needs work.

redstone

Reaction score
Show us what you can't do, rather than what you can.

Sumsar

Reaction score
Sure thing dude!

Main thing; rigth hand:
It is hard to generalize from 15 seconds of video, but it looks like you are using your whole forearm to get the pick moving - that is way to much force to put at it, and i can imagine that you are not able to keep that going for longer periods of time before your hand/arm starts cramping up, correct?
Try and use only the wrist and your thumb and index finger to pick with. The essential to get down is that your arm, wrist, hand and fingers MUST be as relaxed as possible when speed picking - it gives you a lot more control of the pick, and you can keep going for far longer times.
Imagine playing some death or black metal where you pretty much keep at the speed you are playing at, just for 5 or 10 minuttes at the time, without breaks. You have to be relaxed to do this.

Left hand:
Does not look as troublesome and I don't think it is directly holding you back. However there is certanly room for improvement: Most of your fingers, especially your pinky is flying all over the place; You move them very far away from the fretboard when you are not using them. In principle you fingers should never be more than 0.5 - 1 cm (what 1/3 of an inch?) above the strings, if you are moving your fingers further away than that, you are just making it difficult for your self.

Now it may sound like I think your playing is shit, but that is absolutely not the case, it is just much easier to be straight forward when critiqing/teaching people. Keep up the work, and you will get there :)

Sumsar

Reaction score
About the vibrato thing: I agree with it needed some work:

When it comes to vibrato, less is more, meaning that even though you play fast, your vibrato should be slow and controlled, i.e. try and do the motion slower and with less amplitude (smaller changes in pitch).

Latest posts

')