Can you guys help with new gear?

• Thread starter Damian1690
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Damian1690

Reaction score
Hey, I am buying my first tube head. Im gonna get a Bugera 6260. I was thinking, based on reading these forums, about buying an overdrive pedal, noisegat pedal, pedal tuner, and maybe a sonic maximizer. What do you think of this? Do you think it will sound good? Can you reccomend a good od, noisegate, and tuner pedal?

Also, I dont know what cab to get. Im thinking about a 2x12 since 4x12's weigh so much. How will a Bugera cab sound? I read some good reviews on them before. For the cab my max limit would probably be $300. Please help if you can. :shred:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

scottro202

I'm walkin' here!!!
Reaction score
I use a Fender Tuner pedal, durable, gets the job done, $45, cheapest pedal tuner new I've found yet :yesway:

as far as an OD, TS9 or any variety of it (Digitech Bad Monkey, MXR ZW OD, etc) will get the job done.

for a gate, I use a Rocktron Hush.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
First I wouldn't bother with the sonic maximiser.

Second a good OD would be something like a tubescreamer, Maxon or Ibanez Ts9 or 808.

Good gates are the MXR Smart Gate, ISP Decimator or Rocktron Hush.

As a tuner I use the Korg pitch-black. I chose it because it by far has the clearest display, it also has the smallest footprint.

ZXIIIT

XIII
Reaction score
First I wouldn't bother with the sonic maximiser.

Second a good OD would be something like a tubescreamer, Maxon or Ibanez Ts9 or 808.

Good gates are the MXR Smart Gate, ISP Decimator or Rocktron Hush.

As a tuner I use the Korg pitch-black. I chose it because it by far has the clearest display, it also has the smallest footprint.

2nd everything Fun111 said, avoid the BBE, get a TS9, ISP Decimator, I will add in a BOSS TU-3 (it's amazing) and MXR 10 band Eq (Kerry King sig or regular)

Damian1690

Reaction score
Excellent! Thanks for the help. I will definately check out that stuff right now. How about the Bugera cab, anyone?

ittoa666

Being confused on SS.org since 2008
Reaction score
Isp Decimator or boss ns-2 for a gate, Ibanez or maxon tube screamer, and a boss tu-2 tuner. Love that pedal for rig muting.

Wes Mantooth

I Love Fuzz!
Reaction score
Also for cab get a 2X12 in that budget, a little cheaper and more convenient.

I'd advise you actually get the amp and play it for a while before thinking about pedals, you might find you don't need an overdrive or any of that.

I strongly advise you play the amp and get to know it first before you try to find pedals to compliment it.

s5470Pro

Banned
Reaction score
Because at the beginning you will love it and think you haz the greatest tone evarz then you will start to think it actually gives you a crappy sci fi tone.

Hes right 100% However, I let my other guitarist use mine along with eq and compressor. And well the amp he uses sucks so bad that the maximizer actually helps lol.

Damian1690

Reaction score
Also for cab get a 2X12 in that budget, a little cheaper and more convenient.

I'd advise you actually get the amp and play it for a while before thinking about pedals, you might find you don't need an overdrive or any of that.

I strongly advise you play the amp and get to know it first before you try to find pedals to compliment it.

Yeah about that... I cant play it as its not at the local guitar shops around here. They dont even sell the Bugera amp I want. Im new to tube stuff and what not so Im just going others suggestions.

Demeyes

Reaction score
Those Bugera cabs aren't great from what I've seen. You should shop around for a used cab, in the states you can find good deals on stuff like the marshall 1960's or peavey 4x12's. Try and get something with decent speakers in it like celestions or eminence. A 2x12 is a little handier due to size but they are pretty much as loud as a 4x12 and you will have a harder time finding one used.

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
Those Bugera cabs aren't great from what I've seen. You should shop around for a used cab, in the states you can find good deals on stuff like the marshall 1960's or peavey 4x12's. Try and get something with decent speakers in it like celestions or eminence. A 2x12 is a little handier due to size but they are pretty much as loud as a 4x12 and you will have a harder time finding one used.

:agreed: If you can't find used for some reason, then consider the Jet City 4x12. Its only $330 and is much higher build quality (its essentially the Soldano 4x12 cabinet). The stock Jet City drivers are pretty nice speakers IMO as well. Middy as all hell, but that is not a bad thing. Crunches up anything you run through it rather nicely.

Wes Mantooth

I Love Fuzz!
Reaction score
Yeah about that... I cant play it as its not at the local guitar shops around here. They dont even sell the Bugera amp I want. Im new to tube stuff and what not so Im just going others suggestions.

What I'm saying is wait until you actually own the amp and have played it for a few weeks, then try to find pedals to make up for what it lacks.
It might just save you some money if you find you don't want to boost it or want an eq.

Damian1690

Reaction score
What I'm saying is wait until you actually own the amp and have played it for a few weeks, then try to find pedals to make up for what it lacks.
It might just save you some money if you find you don't want to boost it or want an eq.

Ah I see. Yeah I think thats what I'm gonna do. Im gonna go with a 33XL instead of the 6260. It has a noisegate and more eq options, so that would probably be better. But Im gonna hold off on the pedals for now. Thanks :)

Wes Mantooth

I Love Fuzz!
Reaction score
Ah I see. Yeah I think thats what I'm gonna do. Im gonna go with a 33XL instead of the 6260. It has a noisegate and more eq options, so that would probably be better. But Im gonna hold off on the pedals for now. Thanks :)

Just letting you know, pedals are a slippery slope for some people, bought a Fuzz War in October and have already purchased four more since, and they are not cheap.

So once you feel ready to start the journey, make sure you're wallet is prepared :lol:

In all seriousness though, enjoy the amp, those Bugeras have some good tone, especially at that price point:yesway:

')