Can YOU Headbang and play guitar at the same time?

• Thread starter wes225
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Can you headbang and play at the sametime?

• Yes

Votes: 81 58.7%
  • No

Votes: 13 9.4%
  • A little

Votes: 44 31.9%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
hangbang eh?
Riffing I can do it no problem. Solos though, I can't, have to put my leg up on a milk crate and stand pretty still (and watch my hands :()

7 Dying Trees

Forum MVP
Reaction score
7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
If you mean hanging of an object and banging against something while playing, then no, vertigo makes me ill, and the blood clots in the brain impede concentration.

If you mean headbanging, then yes. Just practice the parts whilst headbanging, make sure you get one look at the fretboard per revolution of said head, and it's a sneaky way of fret watching while still moving your head around like a mofo.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
What? It says Headbang. ;)

Yes, I can, although I have to be careful these days...

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
Yes, I can. However, I can't do it while singing or my voice would be all like "AAnD thAt'S whY yOU cAn't TRust THe PEAnut buTTER!" :lol:

To be honest, I've never tried headbanging while playing a solo, but my band lately has been making me do stupid things at practice such as tapping a solo on my guitar while vigorously tap dancing :)lol:) or tap dancing while playing our fastest song (which is around 230-240bpm). So, although I don't remember headbanging while playing a solo, I can probably do that too.

Mattayus

Sir Groove-A-Lot
Contributor
Reaction score
I used to do it all the time in my old band, but this one time we had this song which had a drop ('beatdown', although it wasn't called that back then lol) and i was swinging my hair so hard i tripped over the drum-riser and dropped my pick :rofl:

had to play the rest of the song (including solo) with my fingers, cos i didn't have any picks at the ready! (stupidly)

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
I used to do it all the time in my old band, but this one time we had this song which had a drop ('beatdown', although it wasn't called that back then lol) and i was swinging my hair so hard i tripped over the drum-riser and dropped my pick :rofl:

had to play the rest of the song (including solo) with my fingers, cos i didn't have any picks at the ready! (stupidly)

I've done that lots of times, but I always put my fingers together like I was holding a pick and used my fingernails to play the strings. It worked, but my fingers always hurt by the end. Luckily, I haven't dropped a pick during a song in a few years now... Those experiences probably drilled a message into the back of my brain "DON'T DROP YOUR PICK!"

Crucified

Deathgrind Maniac
Reaction score
ctkev2.jpg

ctkevhair2.jpg

grind.jpg

:D

Mattayus

Sir Groove-A-Lot
Contributor
Reaction score
I always put my fingers together like I was holding a pick and used my fingernails to play the strings.

haha yeah man that's what i did/do, i can actually pull off pretty sweet pinched harmonics like that too :lol:

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
haha yeah man that's what i did/do, i can actually pull off pretty sweet pinched harmonics like that too :lol:

I don't think the term would be "pull them off" since every single note I play/played turned into a pinch harmonic (chords stayed pretty much the same, but individual notes were all pinch harmonics). :lol:

That's actually the origin of jokingly calling my band "Tokyo Pinch Harmonic Orchestra" (even though I never really drop my pick anymore).

Demeyes

Reaction score
I'm not very good at it but now I'm getting used to headbanging a bit more when playing so I'm improving. My playing gets way sloppier though when I get really into it, and if the riff is too complex then forget about it.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
I can a bit. I was practicing headbanging and playing at my old band practice, and I made a couple mistakes. After the song was over, the bass player was like "maybe you should practice the song and not headbanging" :nuts: I think a couple little screw ups are worth it though. People don't want to pay and watch you stare at your guitar for an hour :2c: The band I was in years ago, I couldn't headbang and play because I had only been playing a couple years and it was pretty technical shit, so I was basically a statue, and people commented on it, so I try harder these days.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
For some parts, I cannot NOT headbang while playing. It is how I keep time, similar to a seated acoustic player tapping his foot.

turmoil

l0rd of teh shr3d
Contributor
Reaction score
yeah, i can pretty much headbang all day long while playing.
i've also been known to walk on water while playing as well :ugh:

')