Can you please help me with my technique

• Thread starter FirasKordi
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

FirasKordi

Reaction score
Hi all ....Ive been playing for about 1 year i guess , and am starting to feel that i have looots of mistakes with my technique and i didnt know who to ask for help except you guys
so can you please tell me a full in-depth analysing of my technique (Sweep , Rhythm , Alternate picking ) and yeah i know am sloppy xD but am self taught and in my country not much ppl play guitar (neither there isnt guitar teachers).

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Overtone

Reaction score
Sweep: I think the main thing you need is to mute the strings more carefully. Usually with the left hand it's good to have you fingers perpendicular to the fretboard that way, but when doing certain techniques like sweeping or some tapping ideas it can help to flatten your fingers out a bit. The idea many people use is to mute the higher pitched strings using the flat part of your fretting hand fingers, and to mute the lower pitched strings with the palm of your right hand. With sweeps you can still do that but you have to be careful that your right hand isn't making any noise.

Rhythm - also sounded like it would be tighter if you mute it more, but I'm not sure... there's quite a lot of delay/reverb in your setting so it might just be that. Also, how stiff/tense is your right hand? It seems like you're locking it down and trying to move only your fingers. I would say try to loosen up a little and play more like your alternate picking style.

Overall I don't think you have any terrible habits... seems like it's going well :)

FirasKordi

Reaction score
Dude thanks aloot for your reply......I will really take your advises into consider , and for my right hand thats the problem ...i mean to be ok i should be comfortable with both hands but am not with my picking hand , its the way i hold the pick ...i tried hard to find a correct way but i still cant :(

Edika

Reaction score
Definitely loose the reverb and delay in the distorted sound when you practice. A big mistake that most guitarists do (including myself) is trying to play something too fast. Then you tense up, can't mute the strings properly etc etc. You have to find the speed where you feel comfortable playing something and that sounds good and clear. Try playing that 6-8 times in a row as clearly as possible. If you can't keep at it until you can. Also you need to work on left hand/right hand synchronization. Chromatic exercises are very good even if they are a little boring. Start slow and pick up speed slowly. Take small breaks when you are tired or bored. You have to be able to play a phrase without having your hands tense up. It would be better if your thumb was not hanging on the fretboard but it's not obligatory. However you will put less stress on your hands if you have the thumb in behind the neck.

Concerning sweep picking again you have to play slowly. A couple of things are that once you play a string, the pick goes and rests in the next string until you play it. Like so you mute the higher string as you descend and the lower as you ascend. It might be difficult at the beginning and sound noisier, but it is infinitely more difficult to have pick control in high speeds and not touch the next string. So touch it with the pick but lightly. If you do hammer on/ pull offs take into account the time it would take you to play these not by seeing in your mind that you are picking them. Like so you will use your pick in the correct time and not play a note too early or too late.

And of course use a metronome!

Maniacal

Reaction score
Take your thumb off the top of the neck when you are playing that kind of stuff. It limits your stretching distance and the movement your fingers can make.

m3l-mrq3z

Banned
Reaction score
All in all, your technique is decent.

Something that I noticed is that your sweep picking isn't consistent. If you aren't "feeling" each note, it means you are doing something wrong. This causes mistakes. I hope you know what I mean.

Try to use less distortion when playing leads, or at least try another kind of distortion. I will probably get lots of shit thrown at because of what I am going to say, but that guitar is probably one of the worst sounding electric guitars I have ever listened. This is just my opinion though. I think it sounds kickass when you riff, but for solos? I am sorry, it just doesn't sound clear enough.

Whenever you make a mistake, stop and start again. I see that you try to play fast stuff and make mistakes while doing so. Slow down and attack the technical issue behind your mistakes.

Good luck!

FirasKordi

Reaction score
Thanks alot guys for your replies .....btw can anyone please help me with my way of holding the pick because am 100% sure its wrong and am not comfortable with it

')