Can you spell "ridiculously low tuning"?

• Thread starter MF_Kitten
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
Okay, so it's not THAT ridiculous: The ol' baritone, tuned to drop D, playing in unison with the bass in the same tuning. AND i'm playing the chords just the same on the bass! in fact, i made this song on the bass, and instead of starting to layer on higher guitar parts right away (they might come into play later, when the song is done), i just double tracked the guitar in the same tuning playing along with it.

it's a sloppy recording just to get the idea down, and everything sounds like shit, but i love how thick and disgusting this shit is! :lol:
i DO have to turn that wub-wub synth down a bunch though, it turned out to be much louder after being made into mp3.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3782113/DID YOU SAY "LOW TUNINGS"?!.mp3

edit: oh, and i guess this should satisfy you folks looking for clips of the Lace Helix? :lol:

double edit: the part where the warble synth bass (dubstep wub-wub etc synth) comes in is also doubled with the bass tuned an octave below the already dropped D, and it stays for the entire rest of the song.

triple edit: fixing some problems with the synth level...

quadruple edit: new version of the clip is up!

pentuple edit: It's been like a couple of minutes now guise! I NEED SOME REPLIES SO I CAN GET MY FIX!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
Thanks guys! Someone brought up electric wizard to me as well, yet i haven't heard them ever :lol:

I've never heard any doom that i really liked, although i love the idea of it, and the ridiculous filth and low end presence in it.

Shitty boomy room made the mix thin, gotta fatten this shit while listening through headphones. More epicness will come along, fellas.

Phrygian

Lefty
Reaction score
Woah! :hbang:

At first i was thinking, yeah, nothing fancy, but it sounds kinda cool with just guitar and bass.
But then it builds up like crazy! i dig it! :yesway:

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
I've got lots of new ideas and variations planned now, this song is going to be awesome. I'll be making the moods more contrasted, so the last part in this clip has more of an impact, so instead of going from dark to darker, it'll be going from positive to dark as hell. I'll be giving it some more groove too, and then the sobg will go out on a tangent for a while. This is gunna be fun!

AcousticMinja

String Theorist
Contributor
Reaction score
That's pretty awesome. I like how that sounds a lot.
I don't know if it's weird to say, but I find it kind of relaxing and something you could chill to.

IconW

Reaction score
This sounds awesome! Really liking that raw bass tone layered with crunchy guitar tone. Heavy!

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
Haha, yeah, it's pretty stoney! I don't even smoke anything and i know exactly what you mean :lol:

I am going to completely revise everything, including the mix, to make this song awesome, and make the buildup feel better, and i'll give it a good climax.

Interesting fact: my project with this other guy i know has 4 songs planned, this being one of them. The other three are parts 1, 2, and 3 of a longer piece. It's actually going somewhere! I have sent my x2n pickup over to Allen (Dendroaspis) to have it waxed though, so recording has to wait a teeny bit. The pickup is 32 years old, and so it needs a hood waxing. It squeals like all hell, even when clean, if there's a bit of volume :lol:

idunno

Reaction score
so the guitar is an octave below standard guitar drop D and the bass is another octave below the low guitar?

Good shit!

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
Naw, the guitar is drop D one octave lower than a regular guitar would be, and then the bass is in the same octave, playing the power chords and everything, with a nice growly distortion on it. I did record a bass track tuned an octave below that again too, but it's carefully mixed in there.

Dakota

Reaction score
The guitars are so dirty and gross sounding, I LOVE IT!!!!! I wish I could make my mix sound this massive, you sir have created the ultimate monster tone! I SALUTE YOU!

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
Thanks man! If you think this is massive, you will experience something akin to a prostate massage when you hear the finished mix :lol:

Unjustly-Labeled

Reaction score
I really dig the Stoner-doom vibes here man! Sounds like Bongripper and Electric Wizard had a forbidden lovechild or something. :lol:

BTW, how do you get your guitar to emit such a guttural "BUWOUWW!" sound when hitting the low d string? I've been trying to get something similar without success.

')