Canadian Politics

• Thread starter JSanta
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I heard about that. I saw it on reddit - of course alongside comments about how this was "tyranny at it's peak" and evidence of doublethink and fascism and reason to leave this crumbling country and whatever other nonsensical buzzwords and talking points they could come up with.

I really need to stay away from Canadian subreddits. Or maybe most of reddit altogether.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ross82

Reaction score
What really pisses me off with Canadian politics, as an immigrant, is that I pay full tilt Taxes (which i absolutely have no problem with) but I'm not allowed to vote and have a say in how my taxes are used unless i spend $1000 (probably more now since i last checked) to become a citizen which THEN entitles me to vote.

Politicians are assholes, each and every one. They say X, do Y and have zero real cares for the populous over their own wealth. There is zero accountability for their gross actions as others have said.

Something like this would go a long way:

soliloquy

Reaction score
Having got a house in 2020, yay…

depending on how much you got the property for, and how much it skyrocketed in 2021 and 2022, even if the bubble bursts, it may come down to around what the original price was based on 2019 or so. at least that is hoping.

I got my property as a builder property at the start of 2020, right before the pandemic, so the prices for it were still relatively realistic. During the pandemic it went up in value some $600k for no particular reason. so if it does crash, i hope at the least, it will be worth what i originally got the property for. Even if it dips slightly below, i think i can handle that

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
depending on how much you got the property for, and how much it skyrocketed in 2021 and 2022, even if the bubble bursts, it may come down to around what the original price was based on 2019 or so. at least that is hoping.

I got my property as a builder property at the start of 2020, right before the pandemic, so the prices for it were still relatively realistic. During the pandemic it went up in value some $600k for no particular reason. so if it does crash, i hope at the least, it will be worth what i originally got the property for. Even if it dips slightly below, i think i can handle that
Well the thing is usually you go to a more expensive house, using that profit to help get into something that suits your new needs. If you just break even, that “assist” means you are likely looking at a lateral move.

soliloquy

Reaction score
Well the thing is usually you go to a more expensive house, using that profit to help get into something that suits your new needs. If you just break even, that “assist” means you are likely looking at a lateral move.
that is very true. Thats what i ended up doing with the 2020 property. It was an upgrade from the previous property, and moved whatever equity i earned from the previous one.
now for future, i dont know what the new house would look like if/when i decide to move from here.

fingers crossed

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
If you break even, what usually happens is, you're 20 years older and coul either save more or can now get a bigger loan. Especially since you never really earn anything unleess you just exit the market: if you stay in the same area, and you made say double, those other places you want to move into also doubled in price. I bought my place exacctly 3 years ago outright, (that's where my severance package went) I could be making something like 40% on it, but everything else in the area more or less has, too. I can't find anything decent in the price bracket I looked into in 2020 and for the price I paid for my place.
What can enable you to make a big leap in quality or size is changing for a less desirable/hyped location. For what I paid my 70 m²+terrace in Le Mans I can maaaaybe buy two parking lots in Paris. But if I want to upgrade and stay where I am, I need to add more cash even though the value raised.

zappatton2

Reaction score
The more I read about the Doug Ford bruhaha, the more appalled I am with the whole saga. The excuse that he's skirting all the rules to sell ecologically valuable land to his buddies, with no pre-existing infrastructure and plenty of alternatives available to him, just to facilitate "affordable housing", is so laughable it just isn't.

zappatton2

Reaction score
Quoted from the Globe & Mail, regarding the federal Conservative party convention;

The gathering will feature voting on policy proposals such as committing a Conservative government to “protect children” by prohibiting “life-altering” interventions on minors to treat gender dysphoria.

Delegates will also consider a proposal that says women are entitled to the safety, dignity and privacy of single-sex spaces and “women-only” categories in sports, awards, grants and scholarships.

They will also be presented with a “protecting workers” proposal that says the party does not support “forced political, cultural or ideological training of any kind as a precondition of employment or practice.”

Wow, the Cons really love their nonsense issues. "Protecting women" from trans women in bathrooms? "Life altering surgeries" are being foisted on young children en masse? Really?!!!

Imagine we're back in the 30's, and a Canadian political party is talking about legislation to protect against Jewish people from stealing and consuming our children? Their voters will say "well, that's reasonable, I don't want my children getting eaten! Those lefties must be a-okay with that!"

No mention if it's actually a serious threat, only aspersions cast on a vulnerable minority to divert the animus of voters away from the "self-made" robber barons these sorts of political movements enable, so you can go to work with less protections, less pay, less spare time and less basic safety. And we'll be sure to get rid of that "political indoctrination" training about how to treat your co-workers with a modicum of respect too, can't have that!

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
And we'll be sure to get rid of that "political indoctrination" training about how to treat your co-workers with a modicum of respect too, can't have that!
I couldn't figure out what was supposed to be meant by political or "ideological training" until I got to this part - and noooooow I get it. We're talking about wOkEnEsS. Can't have any political correctness, now. It's very important that there be no consequences for harassment or discrimination. That's sure a lot of semantic games to "protect" only their own.

jwade

Doooooooooom
Reaction score
It's horrifying listening to supposed 'Christians' spewing the most hateful disturbing conspiracy horseshit. These lunatics talk about Trudeau like it's WW2 and he's herding people into gas chambers. The majority of Conservatives are Christian nationalists, and they have neo nazis/white supremacists/trump associates working on/advising their campaigns. The next election cycle is going to be fucking awful.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
It's horrifying listening to supposed 'Christians' spewing the most hateful disturbing conspiracy horseshit. These lunatics talk about Trudeau like it's WW2 and he's herding people into gas chambers. The majority of Conservatives are Christian nationalists, and they have neo nazis/white supremacists/trump associates working on/advising their campaigns. The next election cycle is going to be fucking awful.

I unfortunately know a lot of fellow Venezuelan expats that have somehow been absorbed by the weird conservative beliefs of North America, probably as an emotional response to the trauma (understandably) caused by having had to leave their country of origin behind due to the tyrannical rule of a movement that masquerades as left-wing. And now these people go around calling Trudeau a tyrant and a despot, and I'm sitting here - also having left my entire life behind as a teenager for the very same reasons - like "bruh... you really did forget where you came from, didn't you?". No government is clean, and god knows Trudeau has done questionable things, but he's a squeaky clean saint by comparison.

I came to Canada a little over 10 years ago, at the end of the Harper era. In the grand scheme of things, I have had total agency over the course of my life during that time. (Thanks in no small part to the fact that I am not a visible minority and I speak fluent English.) I probably wouldn't be able to say the same if I was still living over there. I know that the word "tyranny" falls on a bit of a spectrum and one can commit tyrannical acts without leading a government most would label as "tyrannical", but holy shit does the right wing use that term liberally around here. (Pun intended.)

jwade

Doooooooooom
Reaction score
I unfortunately know a lot of fellow Venezuelan expats that have somehow been absorbed by the weird conservative beliefs of North America, probably as an emotional response to the trauma (understandably) caused by having had to leave their country of origin behind due to the tyrannical rule of a movement that masquerades as left-wing. And now these people go around calling Trudeau a tyrant and a despot, and I'm sitting here - also having left my entire life behind as a teenager for the very same reasons - like "bruh... you really did forget where you came from, didn't you?". No government is clean, and god knows Trudeau has done questionable things, but he's a squeaky clean saint by comparison.

I came to Canada a little over 10 years ago, at the end of the Harper era. In the grand scheme of things, I have had total agency over the course of my life during that time. (Thanks in no small part to the fact that I am not a visible minority and I speak fluent English.) I probably wouldn't be able to say the same if I was still living over there. I know that the word "tyranny" falls on a bit of a spectrum and one can commit tyrannical acts without leading a government most would label as "tyrannical", but holy shit does the right wing use that term liberally around here. (Pun intended.)
I grew up in Saskatchewan, and lived in Alberta for over a decade, have family in both provinces still. I've been in BC for 10 years now, and going back to SK/AB a couple weeks ago was a massive shock.

The amount of people here with the F Trudeau stickers, flags, lawn signs, etc is pretty low. Some in the more rural areas but not much in the cities.

In Saskatoon it was like...every few blocks in the city. Massive lawn signs talking about 'Trudeau's Tyranny' or the 'Trans Agenda' or the 'We live in a communist dictatorship' garbage fucking EVERYWHERE. Alberta is the same. Every other pickup truck has an F Trudeau sticker or massive flags. Shit is bordering on the Maga horseshit in the US.

I haven't voted for JT, but if shit comes down to either him or that little fascist pollivere? I'll fucking campaign for the liberals.

zappatton2

Reaction score
You would think that a Canadian citizen, murdered on Canadian soil, with evidence tying said murder to a foreign government, would be an oppourtunity to put politics aside and rally around some kind of a push-back. But then, I forget that that's not the era we live in.

Instead, we have Poilievre demanding that Canadian security agencies share sensitive intelligence with the world right out of the gates, in a cheap bid at creating another political wedge. A man, let's remember, who chooses not to get full security clearance on his briefings for fear of being "boxed in" (a fancy way of saying he chooses ignorance to maintain the credibility of his talking points).

And we have a public so enamored with their disdain for Trudeau, and ever suspicious of immigrants and minorities, that they'll push this notion that Mr. Nijjar isn't a citizen (he is), or that he's a terrorist (irrelevant, but with a note that he was designated a terrorist by a reactionary Indian government).

These are serious allegations involving a major trading partner, and it would make NO political sense for Trudeau to make this statement if he didn't have credible intelligence to back it up, he literally has nothing to gain from this.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I don't understand how, in the year of Our Lord 2023, you can join a protest against minorities and not have the self awareness to ask:
1695216668481.png

nightflameauto

Reaction score
I don't understand how, in the year of Our Lord 2023, you can join a protest against minorities and not have the self awareness to ask:
View attachment 130634
I've spent most of the last forty years asking myself how it affects any other individual if someone happens to be gay, questioning, whatever. (I turn fifty this year.) How does that have any effect whatsoever on you?

It's especially galling that, at least down here in backwardsville, U.S., most of these anti-gay shitlords are also the staunch "personal freedom at all costs" bitches. Why they can't see the conflict between those two stances is beyond me.

Oh, wait, forgot my conservative to human translator ring. "Personal freedom at all costs" translates to, "Personal freedom for me and my pet causes. All others need total subjugation. For their own safety, and the good of society." SMH.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
How does that have any effect whatsoever on you?
I honestly think the more conservative views of things tend to just be slippery slope scenarios where you could start at what someone politically-uninformed might think is a "centrist" view and that pathway of thinking is designed to lead you to something worse. Something like "yeah, of course we probably shouldn't bring children to strip shows" slides its way into "drag is full of groomers". Something like "we shouldn't force a world view on children" (which sounds reasonable (if hypocritical) on a surface level) slides its way into "anyone whose cultural philosophy varies from mine should have their rights stripped from them via legislation".

Don't get me wrong, I'm not the most lefty person in the world - I have my own philosophies about how things do or should work - but that doesn't have to come with a desire to reshape everyone around you into your own ideals. I still have hangups about certain "woke" ideas, so to speak, but I'd gladly back anyone up on said woke side of the aisle when those differences are being used to attack someone.

Like I don't need to be religious to back up someone's right to pray. My personal philosophy says it's meaningless - and in some cases maybe harmful - but I think it would be wrong to legislate against prayer, or to attack someone for doing it, or to make a point of telling people they're wasting their time. It's not my business, and I bet they feel it enriches their lives.

In exactly the same way, I don't see 100% eye-to-eye with all modern ideas of how gender work - and I won't deny that I think there can be harms that come from of the more out-there gender philosophies - but in exactly the same way, it would wrong to legislate against personal world-views, or to stop people from practicing what they believe is right, or to make a point of telling people what I think of the matter. It continues to be not my business, and it continues to likely enrich the lives of people who honestly believe it does something for them.

zappatton2

Reaction score
Okay, this made me laugh (and I was kinda thinkin' it watching the news yesterday);

soliloquy

Reaction score
so...maybe my math here is inaccurate...
Canada sends about 1.6 billion to Ukraine from tax collected from 38 million canadians. big amount, sure, but if you divide it up over 38 million...thats not too bad in my opinion. Supposedly that $1.6 billion would have been the answer to saving our 1) health care 2) education 3) housing crisis 4) environment. Since that 1.6 billion went to another country, F JT...

Mr. Ford is sitting with about 7 Billion of Ontario's tax money that is supposed to be used to fix up just Ontario's issues....but hey, Ford is a good guy, and JT is the villain. Supposedly the 8 billion dollar deal going to the land developers is now to come out of our pockets too. Ford...what a nice guy, right?

credit where credit is due. I'm sure JT has issues, but what is wrong with people? Why make a mountain out of an ant hill with JT, but leave Ford alone?

Last edited:

Latest posts

')