Candiria

• Thread starter John_Strychnine
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

John_Strychnine

I Was Once Groove.
Reaction score
I couldn't find a specific thread on these guys. I just found out today one of the founding guitarists (Chris Puma) died just over a month ago! RIP Chris, the work he did with Candiria is probably the best stuff they did.

I hadn't listened to them in a LONG time and i forgot how much of a badass band they were. Just wish i got to see them live. :noway:

This was stuff not written by Chris but still some awesome tunage if anyone hasn't heard of them.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cycloptopus

Reaction score
Wow! That is sad about Chris, I had no idea. RIP

This band is friggin sick. I think "Surrealistic Madness" is still my favorite album from these guys. They have those sick grooves, wicked breakdowns, and a real unique sound in the metal/hardcore scene. Plus the way they work the jazz into it has always been a big part of why I like em so much. I really haven't followed them lately though so I'm not too familiar with the newest stuff.

Evilfrenchy

Reaction score
sick grooves!!! really original band! you guys should checkout SPYLACOPA -- the new studio project featuring John LaMacchia (Candiria), Jeff Caxide (Isis), Greg Puciato (The Dillinger Escape Plan) and Julie Christmas (Made Out of Babies / Battle of Mice),sounds promising!

EliNoPants

Reaction score
Candiria is fucking awesome...shame they had that accident...though i do think that the album What Doesn't Kill You is their best work, so maybe it had at least one positive outcome

cyril v

Contributor
Reaction score
holy hell, I really haven't listened to these guys since about 2001 or something, fond memories...

sick grooves!!! really original band! you guys should checkout SPYLACOPA -- the new studio project featuring John LaMacchia (Candiria), Jeff Caxide (Isis), Greg Puciato (The Dillinger Escape Plan) and Julie Christmas (Made Out of Babies / Battle of Mice),sounds promising!

sick.

sol niger 333

I like stuff
Reaction score
I couldn't find a specific thread on these guys. I just found out today one of the founding guitarists (Chris Puma) died just over a month ago! RIP Chris, the work he did with Candiria is probably the best stuff they did.

I hadn't listened to them in a LONG time and i forgot how much of a badass band they were. Just wish i got to see them live. :noway:

This was stuff not written by Chris but still some awesome tunage if anyone hasn't heard of them.

Some of the grooves from the second vid were so pounding. Definitely preferred that. Almost reminiscent of early Primus grooves in the drumming. However I dont like when songs stop and just ring out the guitars then turn into a sample then play another riff. It shows a lack of songwriting skills IMO. So much hardcore the riff finishes and so they just ring out while the drummer splashes about on his cymbals and a guitarist starts up the next riff while the singer jumps up and down. I do remember loving Candirias grooves but their songs were always disjointed and lacked direction. Was the stuff Chris did any better in that respect?

[/quote]

VERY promising :hbang: Holy shit!! I will be picking this one up methinks

Evilfrenchy

Reaction score
I have SPYLACOPA's mini ep and it's great,can't wait to see these guys live,julie chrismas is insane!!hahaha

Scarpie

Reaction score
they're drummer had quite a rep here in NY. his little bro also had a heavy hit on NY/NJ scene. i unfortunately was WAY into death metal when candiria were most active and didnt appreciate their offerings.

petereanima

Br00tal Bubbly Mofo
Reaction score
damn, i haven thought about candiria in years...sad that one of them died.

i will have a listen to the records again, they were badass!

Nats

Reaction score
had no idea that dude died. i'll always love candiria

')