Cannibal corpse tuning

• Thread starter 7sinsodeath
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

7sinsodeath

Reaction score
Hey everyone...FNG here! Wondering if anyone can clear this up for me? Standard 7 string tuning is BEADGBe. I have the Cannibal Corpse Tab and something seems amiss. On all the 6 string tunings in Bb, the order is listed as....Bb-Eb-Ab-Db-F-Bb. Why would the Gb be tuned to F, as I cant find any info on this tuning....or am I just having a brain fart and missing something obvious? :scratch: If not, should I just tune the 7 to Bb-Eb-Ab-Db-F-Bb-Eb ??

Reaction score
Hey everyone...FNG here! Wondering if anyone can clear this up for me? Standard 7 string tuning is BEADGBe. I have the Cannibal Corpse Tab and something seems amiss. On all the 6 string tunings in Bb, the order is listed as....Bb-Eb-Ab-Db-F-Bb. Why would the Gb be tuned to F, as I cant find any info on this tuning....or am I just having a brain fart and missing something obvious? :scratch: If not, should I just tune the 7 to Bb-Eb-Ab-Db-F-Bb-Eb ??

When you have a 6 string guitar tuned in a baritone tuning, all strings go down 5 semitones. That means the 4 semitones between the G and the B stay the same, but then 5 semitones lower.

A 7 string guitar is basically a normal guitar with an extra low B string.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Well...I get that part...i need to re-phrase. IYO, On a 7, would you prefer to tune to standard six?,.... or standard 7 and adjust your playing? Thanks for opinions. :cool:

I prefer to play my 7 string as a 6 string with an extra low string, so AEADGBE (I play in drop A). But is it such a hassle to tune 1 string down a half step? You can easily tune back afterwards, right?

7sinsodeath

Reaction score
I hear you...so same issue for me then!? If tuned to standard A#, I will just have to swap the F and Gb when switching to other songs

InfinityCollision

Reaction score
Thanks YJGB. Why is this NOT done on a 7 string?

Familiarity I suppose. If you're adding a low string to your existing tuning, it's more natural to keep the existing strings how they are so that you don't have to adjust your knowledge of the first six strings. But if you're adding a high string, you might tune as you suggested with the M3 between the 3rd and 4th strings. There are a few guitarists who have done this with high A strings.

If you're trying to play Cannibal Corpse songs on your 7 then tuning it like a 6 in Bb standard plus a high Eb might be the way to go unless you're comfortable playing the song in a different tuning for the sake of maintaining a single consistent tuning.

Reaction score
I hear you...so same issue for me then!? If tuned to standard A#, I will just have to swap the F and Gb when switching to other songs

You can just adjust your playing. I have little to no experience on changing tunings because of the tuning of the song. I think the best thing to do is to just keep your guitar in 1 tuning, and then just think a little harder when playing a differently tuned song.

Basti

not much space to wr
Reaction score
So now that we're here, what's a good CC song to learn on a Sevenstring?

Reaction score

Cannibal Corpse isn't really my cup of tea.

If you want some beginner 7 string things, good luck. 7 string is more advanced than 6 string, in terms of the music that is played on it. Not saying 6 string is too easy or something, but when you compare 6 string music to 7 string music, the amount of beginners stuff on the 7 string is almost nihil.

When going for advanced stuff, I recommend Scar Symmetry, a great way to train your hands for odd riffs and chord shapes. And everything else is just about whatever floats your boat.

7sinsodeath

Reaction score

I like CC's timing..would have to say it is advanced. Honestly all Cannibal songs are best on a 7 for a few reasons. Mostly because of the tuning problem I had above. Since most of their songs are in Eb or Bb (except for stuff off evisceration plague) you can avoid re tuning the whole guitar every time you switch from a Bb song to a Eb song. (except for tuning the one string from Gb to F)

Basti

not much space to wr
Reaction score
I managed to use 7 strings with I cum blood but Hammer Smashed Face is strictly Eb, still great to play though. I'm just collecting all the half-step down songs and bands that I might enjoy playing, and so far there seem to be more than other tunings. For example Jeff Loomis was a good find, Morbid Angel, one Slayer song...I tried Periphery but I can't really stand it :lol:

Hipster Holocaust

Reaction score
I actually asked Alex Webster about this. Everything up to Vile was recorded in D# standard tuning.
The albums from Vile - The Wretched Spawn used A# tuning. Rob Barrett and Pat O'Brien mostly used 6 string guitars tuned to A#, while Jack Owen mainly used 7 strings tuned to A#.
After Owen left, they used A# and G# tunings on Kill through Torture.

You can tune your 7 to A#-D#-G#-C#-F-A#-D#, which makes your guitar a 6 string tuned to A# w/ a high D# string. That if you can do the 6 to 7 string conversion in your head yet.

7stringDemon

Reaction score
If you want easy CC, songs, then have fun searching.

If you want easy 7 string songs, try Emmure :lol:

If you want songs that are tailored exactly to your skill level, write your own :)

7sinsodeath

Reaction score
I actually asked Alex Webster about this. Everything up to Vile was recorded in D# standard tuning.
The albums from Vile - The Wretched Spawn used A# tuning. Rob Barrett and Pat O'Brien mostly used 6 string guitars tuned to A#, while Jack Owen mainly used 7 strings tuned to A#.
After Owen left, they used A# and G# tunings on Kill through Torture.

You can tune your 7 to A#-D#-G#-C#-F-A#-D#, which makes your guitar a 6 string tuned to A# w/ a high D# string. That if you can do the 6 to 7 string conversion in your head yet.

There is a few songs that are in F# also.... including evisceration plague.