Can't decide between 6 or 7

• Thread starter Joshua
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Joshua

6 Strings Only
Reaction score
Just here to rant/get advice. Over the past year, I've been going back and forth between 6's and 7's, and I'm just not sure what to settle on. I love both, but really can only afford one at the moment. They both offer things that I absolutely love, but I'm having trouble figuring out which is better for me. Anybody have a similar situation, or some advice? Would be much appreciated :metal:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dayn

Reaction score
A seven-string contains a six-string. Keep the seven, ditch the six. You can always ignore the seventh string.

If, say, the seven had a floating bridge and the six had a fixed bridge, then that would throw up more variables. But if not, I'd keep the seven. More options.

J7string

Reaction score
Go for the 7 man. Get best of both worlds.

Jason_Clement

Reaction score
If you really can't decide you can always get a baritone 6 and tune to a 7 string tuning?

Austin175

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat OP, I have my 6 string C-1 Hellraiser an love it it's not heavy, the neck fits my smalls hands really good, has EMG's with coil taps, an plays really well.

Then I have my Ibanez RG7321 7 string which is a little rough but the stock PU's sound decent, it's not heavy, the neck and fretboard are fast, I have been playing my 7 string alot here lately an I can't decide if I just want to keep my Schecter or sell it.

nkri

Reaction score
My best advice would be to play a 7 exclusively for a few weeks. That way, you'll be fully adjusted to switching between songs that are on 6s and 7s, and you can decide for yourself which you prefer overall.

I was on the fence for about a year after getting my first 7...I knew I was gonna keep it, but couldn't figure out how much I would ultimately play it long-term. After playing only that guitar for a couple weeks, I was completely sold and now I only use my 6s for backups and weird tunings. I'd definitely say that you should go with the 7 if you can only afford one guitar...as J7string said, best of both worlds :yesway:

troyguitar

Reaction score
I go back and forth largely due to the limited availability of nice/interesting 7's but have nearly finally decided to stick with the 7 and just pay $3k++ each for all of my guitars in the future :wallbash:

Ocara-Jacob

SSO Recluse
Reaction score
If you like playing in drop tunings on 6 strings and like to drop tune on your 7 as well, try this tuning:

ADADGBE
Best of both worlds :D

facepalm66

The Master of Joints
Reaction score
Remember 1 thing in life, that will save you from anything, win ALL guitar- related topics etc...
ONE DOES NOT SIMPLY HAVE ENOUGH STRINGS.
PERIOD!

johnny_ace

Reaction score
my philosophy...why get something you already have get something new and experiment with it

fr4nci2c0

Reaction score
Like stated before the 7 has a six within it and you can always drop the second string to be in a dropped 6 string tuning. Playing 7 just takes time getting used to but once your used to it you have all the things you can do with a 6. $0.02

mniel8195

Reaction score
I have a 7 string and i like it allot. I don't think i use all the range that it has like allot of people on this forum. Its a 25.5 and for me the limit of tuning on that's instrument before the strings just get to large would be drop A "AEADGBE" That's just my opinion and my playing style. So with that said im having a 6 string built for me at 25.5 I plan on tuning it to drop C. I think i will end up using that guitar allot more than my current 7. Where i think the true versatility of the 7 string comes in is when it has a scale length from 26.5 to 27. or even Fan fret! You open allot more options that way as far as what you can tune to. I couldn't live without a 6 string i could live without a 7 string. With that said your always going to have a six string built into a 7. The question is will you buy 7 string that can handle various turnings and still be comfortable for you to play. My next build will probably be a 27 or 26.5 fan fret that i can tune to drop G or maybe even an 8 string. hope that helps.

Modest

nuke dropping
Reaction score
If you like playing in drop tunings on 6 strings and like to drop tune on your 7 as well, try this tuning:

ADADGBE
Best of both worlds :D

Only way to play :D

And for OP:
Depends on what you play man.
Even if i played standard blues box patterns as a profession, i would still have a 7er.
Just because...
Why the fuck not?

ThrustTony

Reaction score
I always think 7 strings sound heavier cause of the bigger neck and you already have a 6 string in a 7 string.

It would be a tough job adding another string to a 6 so I'm going with the 7 string. lol

Fuller chords and extra layering with two guitars is always an option with a 7 as well.

edsped

Reaction score
If you're only limited to one for now I would go with the 7. You would almost definitely miss it more than the 6.

johnny_ace

Reaction score
I always think 7 strings sound heavier cause of the bigger neck and you already have a 6 string in a 7 string.

it also depends on material...my tele is heavier than my seven string

Mahogany vs Alder i think it might close to the wieght of my 8 string

')