Can't find a good pick.

Camer138

Reaction score
I have loved the dunlop jazz III's for a couple years. Fell in love with the precision of them. I get the red ones and keep a pile on top of my rig if I drop 1 they are real easy to find a new one on a dark stage.

that being said I just went onto amazon and got a small pack of the, black ice picks, dunlop jazz stubbies, and the dava jazz grips to compare. Always love finding something new that improves playing or sound.:hbang:

Make a review thread when you get a chance! Would like to hear your comparison of the Black Ice picks to the Dava Jazz Grips(what tip did you order?)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AxeHappy

Reaction score
Acrylic picks will only slip after finger oils have built up on them. And then you just wash them off.

Try the Gravity picks.

goatLuke

ss.org Noob
Reaction score
Make a review thread when you get a chance! Would like to hear your comparison of the Black Ice picks to the Dava Jazz Grips(what tip did you order?)

After I get em ill try and make some time and do a review. First I gotta get my pick arm out of a sling(really messes with your playing:realmad:)

anyhow the dava has an assortment on amazon w/ 3 differet styles, 2 of each for like $5. It cost like $20.00 to just order 3 packs of all the different picks, a drop in the bucket I just spent twice that on strings hehe. I would try that over a review from me any day hehe. I tend to be very special sometimes hehe. :shred:

Camer138

Reaction score
I already have like 30 Dava Delrins left and have a mixed pack on order so I'll be able to try the gels and nylons, I was just curious how they compared with the black ice seeing how it seems to be highly recommended in this thread.

goatLuke

ss.org Noob
Reaction score
I already have like 30 Dava Delrins left and have a mixed pack on order so I'll be able to try the gels and nylons, I was just curious how they compared with the black ice seeing how it seems to be highly recommended in this thread.

ahh gotcha. Ill let ya know as they will both be new to me as well as the dunlop stubbies.

Goatchrist

Reaction score
This one:
1307717067-29041000.jpg

kcyrowolf

Reaction score
I would recommend at least checking out V Picks. I used them for a year, however I stopped when my ear picked up on the the loud squeaky 'chirp' which sounds every single time you attack the string (particularly on the higher strings with some gain). For that reason I stopped using them entirely. However, last week I figured I'd give them a final chance and ordered a Dimension Jr. (unbuffed) and Nexus (unbuffed) from them, to see if the lack of squeaky clean bevelling on the pick will reduce the problem I have had with them in the past. We shall see!

I highly recommend the Dunlop Jazz III Max Grip Carbon Fibres though. Those things feel great, sound great and are extremely durable. After dropping the V Picks for the past year (not literally!), I have used these exclusively and get on great with them!

James B

Reaction score
I'm gonna probably buy a couple brands mentioned here to try them out, but I'm going to order the Jazz III Carbon Fibers tomorrow. I have a good feeling about them.

Camer138

Reaction score
I hated the max grip jazz iii's.. too sandpaper like for me. the Dava jazz grip is the most comfortable grip I have yet to play.. but some people seem to like em, so good luck!

djinn314

Reaction score
I use 2mm, and usually mod them a little myself. Sounds strange I'm sure but it works for me.

milssky

Reaction score
i use dunlop bigstubby and dunlop nylon jazz. If i am using a nylon jazz pick, sound loses bright tones.

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score
It's already been said many times but I found that Jazz III's are the best for me. That being said I REALLY need to get the max grip ones though because they slip a bit which bugs me when doing metal rhythm stuff, y'know?

Duke318

Reaction score
Another vote for Black Ice...I use the 1.5 mm, and I've tried V-picks, and all other types out there. It really is personal preference though.

goatLuke

ss.org Noob
Reaction score
well I wasnt going to bump this thread after I recieved my picks because a couple weeks had passed by the time I had a chance to spend a fair amount of time with each pick. But seeing as in how its at the top again ill tell you what I found.

in my previous post I ordered all the jazz style picks mentiones in this thread and here are my thoughts.

1. Dunlope Jazz III- I have been using these for about a year and love them. Like the grip of these even a little better than the EJ's. I have played all 3 the ultex, the black, and the red ones I like the red ones the best.

2. Dunlop Big stubbies 2.0- Not much of a fan of these they are just too fat and feel like you are going to lose it at any second.

3. Dava control max grip asst- this pack came with 3 different tips, a gel, a nylon, and a delrin. I will definately say this is my new favorite pick and of the 3 the delrin is #1,nylon #2, and gel#3. Not a ton of difference between the jazz III's and this for me but I definately favor it now.

4. dunlop max grip carbon fiber- dont really like them, they stay inbetween your fingers awesome but as someone said earlier in the thread they have a very sandpaper like feel. I just didnt like it

5. Black Ice 1.0- they feel exactly like a dunlop tortex pick in a jazz III shape, and with so much better options out there for grip I didnt really dig em. You could always cross hatch em with a knife as has been mentioned in here but just doesnt seem worth it to me.

so thats my take on em. take it for what its worth im a weirdo and get scoffed at all the time from people I jam with for even using these freakishly small picks :lol:.

The Reverend

GHETTO KING OF SWAG
Reaction score
I used to use Snarling Dogs 1.14mm picks, but I recently picked up a Dunlop 2.0 Big Stubby and am in love. I'll try other picks, but that huge Dunlop set the bar really high.

Latest posts

')