Can't stop writing in 3/4

Reaction score
Ok, so I wrote a riff in 3/4 the other day, just for fun, now I can't stop writing in 3/4. I used to be able to write in 12/8, 4/4, 6/8 and 5/4, but, now I can't. Can someone help me, please?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

-42-

Nothing to see here
Reaction score
Have you considered actually writing everything out in notation? Some find it limits thier ability to 'feel' the way the song is grooving (or whatever) but I find it really useful for opening up possibilities. Different strokes and whatnot.

gebgebgeb

derp
Reaction score
Have you considered actually writing everything out in notation? Some find it limits thier ability to 'feel' the way the song is grooving (or whatever) but I find it really useful for opening up possibilities. Different strokes and whatnot.

that's what i do. whenever i make up a riff i tab it out in guitar pro and save it. whenever i'm feeling like i need some inspiration or something, i just look through the guitar pro tabs i wrote and try to work off those.

Mr. Big Noodles

Theory God
Reaction score
Konnakol to the rescue!

Writing shit out is all well and good, and you want to be able to feel the music, so let's find something in between: a system that gives us the precision of written music and the feel of aural music. Plenty of musical systems employ such a thing in the form of rhythmic syllables. Unfortunately, Western music gets caught up with the nuances, and while numbers tell a lot, they don't give us an adequate way of analyzing rhythms on the fly. I like the Indian way of doing it, because that's how I learned about different rhythmic groupings. What it boils down to is this: meters can be broken down into groups of 2 and 3. In Indian Konnakol (rhythmic syllables), these groups are represented as follows:

Ta-ka = a group of 2
Ta-ki-ta = a group of 3
Ta-ka-di-mi = a group of 4 (although I prefer sticking two 2's together)

"Ta" is the main beat. You can put these together in various arrangements to come up with some rhythms. For example, let's do 5: first, as 3+2 - Ta-ki-ta Ta-ka, Ta-ki-ta Ta-ka, Ta-ki-ta Ta-ka. Now, 2+3 - Ta-ka Ta-ki-ta, Ta-ka Ta-ki-ta, Ta-ka Ta-ki-ta.

7 has three permutations.

2+2+3 - Ta-ka Ta-ka Ta-ki-ta
2+3+2 - Ta-ka Ta-ki-ta Ta-ka
3+2+2 - Ta-ki-ta Ta-ka Ta-ka

9 has five.

2+2+2+3
2+2+3+2
2+3+2+2
3+2+2+2
3+3+3

And so on. Play around with that. What I would suggest doing is to come up with various ways of sticking twos and threes together, and forcing yourself to write within that pattern. If you're actively thinking of how to organize your rhythms, then you're a step closer to getting out of your metrical rut. You know, say to yourself, "I'm gonna do 2+2+3 today," or something. I'm a little drunk right now. :lol: