Caparison Guitars New Site

• Thread starter Church2224
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
those guys have way more scale/volume and produce most of their volume outside of japan (indonesia, china, korea, USA)

Caparison must pay japanese workers, in yen, to make guitars with parts/woods bought in yen. they are 100% exposed to the current high value of the yen

of course, the inner financials of all these companies are unknown, so i am just theorizing here :scratch:

You're forgetting the Chatting Bird line of guitars, which are Caparison's imports.

I don't see how Caparison paying a third, Japanese party to build their guitars is too much different from Ibanez who also pays a third, Japanese party to build their guitars.

Of course economy of scale can be factored in, and it makes a difference, but whether that difference it big enough to make a 100% price difference is debatable. Though, I guess we'll never know. :lol:

whenever you move a bridge further away from the tuners, you increase the scale length. When you increase the scale length, you increase the tension on the same set of strings that you use on a shorter scale. think about tuning the same set of strings on a baritone scale to the same tuning as you would on a standard scale, you get greater tension, end of story. basic physics. the same is true on an HGS, the tension IS slightly higher, without a doubt. try tuning your HGS Horus with the same string to drop B, and then tune your standard Horus to Drop B with the same strings. I have done it. and played them side-by-side. There IS a difference. without a doubt. Basic physics. End of story. Is 3mm a huge difference? depends on your strings and tuning. But, when diggin into subterranean lows? EASILY a difference.

Also, Max, you have gone through plenty of high-end guitars man, we are both gear whores. On an equal level to be sure man! ;)

Though they're not changing the scale, they're just moving the bridge. There's a big difference between the two. The scale is remaining the same, thus you're going to be intonating at the same point as the 12th fret (and all other frets) are in the same location.

I've moved bridges on many guitars, some as much as .5" and it doesn't effect string tension. What it effects is the range of intonation.

The scale of a guitar is NOT the distance from the nut to bridge plate, it's two times the distance from nut to 12th fret. On traditionally fretted instruments the scales are not finite, hence why the saddles at the bridge are arranged in a step pattern. Take a regular Caparison and it's HGS equivalent and measure from the nut to the 12th fret, if the distance is the same (which it's advertised as) then the scales are identical, regardless of bridge placement.

Agreed, but only to some degree. ESP Jpan guitars are getting more expensive in relation to the Dollar. SO are J. Custom.

The Caparisons I have played (three Dellingers, a TAT, and a Dellinger 7 Trem) all had quality similar to middle of the road Prestiges (~$1100) and Standard Series ESP (~$1400) they have not been on par with the ESP Customs or J.Customs I've played, worked on, or owned.

Not to say all Caparisons don't measure up, but the ones I've played which now go for $2400 don't.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

engage757

Banned
Reaction score
You're forgetting the Chatting Bird line of guitars, which are Caparison's imports.

I don't see how Caparison paying a third, Japanese party to build their guitars is too much different from Ibanez who also pays a third, Japanese party to build their guitars.

Of course economy of scale can be factored in, and it makes a difference, but whether that difference it big enough to make a 100% price difference is debatable. Though, I guess we'll never know. :lol:

Though they're not changing the scale, they're just moving the bridge. There's a big difference between the two. The scale is remaining the same, thus you're going to be intonating at the same point as the 12th fret (and all other frets) are in the same location.

I've moved bridges on many guitars, some as much as .5" and it doesn't effect string tension. What it effects is the range of intonation.

The scale of a guitar is NOT the distance from the nut to bridge plate, it's two times the distance from nut to 12th fret. On traditionally fretted instruments the scales are not finite, hence why the saddles at the bridge are arranged in a step pattern. Take a regular Caparison and it's HGS equivalent and measure from the nut to the 12th fret, if the distance is the same (which it's advertised as) then the scales are identical, regardless of bridge placement.

The Caparisons I have played (three Dellingers, a TAT, and a Dellinger 7 Trem) all had quality similar to middle of the road Prestiges (~$1100) and Standard Series ESP (~$1400) they have not been on par with the ESP Customs or J.Customs I've played, worked on, or owned.

Not to say all Caparisons don't measure up, but the ones I've played which now go for $2400 don't.

You should definitely play an angelus. ;)

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'd love to try an Angelus TR, though they don't come around too often, and for that kind of cash I could get another EGS. :lol:

Beautiful guitars though. :agreed:

How's the weight on them? Balance?

K3V1N SHR3DZ

Reaction score
That Orbit is so sexy!

If they made a 7-string Horus or Orbit, I would sell a kidney. The bad one.

engage757

Banned
Reaction score
I'd love to try an Angelus TR, though they don't come around too often, and for that kind of cash I could get another EGS. :lol:

Beautiful guitars though. :agreed:

How's the weight on them? Balance?

I know where one in trans-black is. ;) I just prefer the HGS and M3b. Balance is perfect in my opinion, down low and also about waist high. I tend to play with the upper horn at waist level when playing rhythm and several inches higher when playing more lead. The weight is nice. maybe around 8 pounds I think mine was?

sojorel

Scourge
Reaction score
I found a second hand horus that has a Floyd, but no locking nut or tuners.

What is this madness?

I would block it anyway, so it may not matter, but que?

Dionysian

More gear than sense
Reaction score
whenever you move a bridge further away from the tuners, you increase the scale length. When you increase the scale length, you increase the tension on the same set of strings that you use on a shorter scale. think about tuning the same set of strings on a baritone scale to the same tuning as you would on a standard scale, you get greater tension, end of story. basic physics. the same is true on an HGS, the tension IS slightly higher, without a doubt. try tuning your HGS Horus with the same string to drop B, and then tune your standard Horus to Drop B with the same strings. I have done it. and played them side-by-side. There IS a difference. without a doubt. Basic physics. End of story. Is 3mm a huge difference? depends on your strings and tuning. But, when diggin into subterranean lows? EASILY a difference.

Also, Max, you have gone through plenty of high-end guitars man, we are both gear whores. On an equal level to be sure man! ;)

It doesn't matter at all where you place the bridge. The saddle is still going to be placed at the exact same distance from the nut. The bridge is moved 3mm one way, but the saddles are moved 3mm the other way so the scale is still the exact same.

Stop trying to argue when MaxofMetal has already proven you wrong.

Last edited:

drmosh

Sir Paul of the Mosh
Contributor
Reaction score
But your denying physics. Take a rubber band, stretch it so it begins to fell taut. Stretch it 3mm. Is it tighter?

The strings are touching at 2 "pivot" points, which will be the same no matter where the bridge is located, in order to intonate the string

engage757

Banned
Reaction score
It doesn't matter at all where you place the bridge. The saddle is still going to be placed at the exact same distance from the nut. The bridge is moved 3mm one way, but the saddles are moved 3mm the other way so the scale is still the exact same.

Stop trying to argue when MaxofMetal has already proven you wrong.

No one asked you man and the conversation WAS over. go argue with Itaru if you have a huge problem with it, he said it, not me. Stop trying to flame and start arguments. Oh yeah, and you apparently haven't seen the schaller bridge in question. ;)

NOT trying to get a flame going, but the convo was WAAAAYYYYY over.

UnderTheSign

Reaction score
I didn't like the fixed bridge on the Applehorn Jazz as much as I liked the Hannes - it's too square/blocky for me. The neck was really nice though and the body, despite not being super contoured like some Ibanez', was really comfortable and surprisingly light.

It'd be wise to try one first though as I felt it was a kind of "love it or hate it" guitar. Just had that feeling to it.

Enselmis

Reaction score
The Applehorn is one of my all time favorite guitars! I have the orange one, would never get rid of it UNLESS a fixed bridge Jazz came up. :D get one. I know where one is for sale if you are interested on a different site. ;)

Heh, maybe in 6 months or so. I've gotta pay off some other gear whoring before I snag one of those things. That's assuming PRS doesn't win out.

Gyver

Reaction score
It holds string tension better. I like it a lot. Hate playing on floppy strings when de-tuned, and it does the job nicely.

The HGS seems like a gimmic to fork over more cash. I had a local guitar tech measure the bridge cavity to see if there was any difference, and there was none. Both an HGS and standard horus intonate with 0 issues, and have had both guitars properly set up in tunings from B standard to E with no intonation problems, and proper tension. I really hope they get their act together this time around now that theyre under new ownership. Ive owned 5 caparisons, although the build quality is nice, the electronics are terrible. All of them ive had to replace from input jacks, to push push pup selectors. The pickups are substandard, for 2300-3k you shouldn't need to replace anything on the guitar.

jam3v

wat
Reaction score
Boring finishes, outdated designs, strange scale length, and ridiculously high prices. Probably not a popular opinion around here, but oh well...

It's really not a surprise these guys almost went under.

Church2224

Guitar Whore
Reaction score
Boring finishes, outdated designs, strange scale length, and ridiculously high prices. Probably not a popular opinion around here, but oh well...

It's really not a surprise these guys almost went under.

The finishes are similar to other manufacturers but I got to say I love their Crimson and Thundercloud Finishes. A lot of the models they have are super strats, which is what people, myself included, really want. Majority of the brands out there have some form of a high end super strat guitar. The Angelus and Orbit are exceptions.

If they were around the price I first saw them back in 2008, about 2,250 for a TAT and 1,950 for a Dellinger. I would have no problem buying one new. Knowing how must of the Caparison owners I know love theirs, wit ha few exceptions, they are not bad guitars.

Sevenstring.org does not represent the entire gutiar community, as you are right, probably not even a fraction of it do we represent.

I think Max gave us more of an incite as to why they went under earlier on. I do not think the selection of models has anything to do with it.

engage757

Banned
Reaction score
The finishes are similar to other manufacturers but I got to say I love their Crimson and Thundercloud Finishes. A lot of the models they have are super strats, which is what people, myself included, really want. Majority of the brands out there have some form of a high end super strat guitar. The Angelus and Orbit are exceptions.

If they were around the price I first saw them back in 2008, about 2,250 for a TAT and 1,950 for a Dellinger. I would have no problem buying one new. Knowing how must of the Caparison owners I know love theirs, wit ha few exceptions, they are not bad guitars.

Sevenstring.org does not represent the entire gutiar community, as you are right, probably not even a fraction of it do we represent.

I think Max gave us more of an incite as to why they went under earlier on. I do not think the selection of models has anything to do with it.

Lack of custom shop. And lack of distribution/artists Mainly. I can take that same money to several builders and have them build you a guitar. But, either way, IMO, it is not a bad price for a SICK instrument.

')