Captain Marvel, why should i care?

• Thread starter sharedEQ
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sharedEQ

Reaction score
Im familiar with mainstream heroes (hulk, iron man, etc) but according to the wiki, capt marvel was published for copyright reasons..some lawsuit. Iow, not one of their most popular characters...prior to 2018, not sure most ppl even heard of this chatacter.

Which brings us to the upcoming movie. To me it seems like a generic female superman. Why should i care? Is this girl power gone wild? Or did they figure out teenage boys would rather see a girl in tights?

Brie larson. Is she considered a sex symbol to millenials? Or does she represent female empowerment? She looks like a modern day marsha brady.

Apparently she will be the most powerful character in the MCU, which is not the case in comics.

Anyone with a pulse on this genre care to explain it? Looks like it will be a dud.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Who says you have to care? Care as much as you/your love of the MCU tells you to.

Its not "girl power gone wild", its literally a character from comics getting her own movie. We had Wonder Woman get a movie going on ...2, maybe 3 years ago now, and aside from the last fight, it waa really enjoyable. Now Marvel is making their equivalent with a character to help the over arching story.

Brie Larson isnt a aex symbol, nor is this supposed to be aome ploy to teens or man children who want to see a hot girl in a super hero suit.

Honestly, this whole post reeks of as much as I hate to say it, toxic masculinity; like you're threatened by ONE female superhero movie, in the history of superhero movies.

GatherTheArsenal

SF2 > Everything
Reaction score
Well I think we'll have to wait and see, I prefer to suspend my expectations as much as possible before seeing a movie. Works out better that way.

Avengers: Infinity War SPOILER Alert....
But to answer your question a bit better here. I mean if Captain Fury's last second action before he bought the farm was to call her on his little communication device, then presumably she's gonna make a difference in the fight against Thanos. And presumably, as much or more than the Avengers combined. Otherwise why wasn't she been called to join the initiative before?

And what difference will she make? I'm not sure but I'll bet we'll get an idea of what she's capable of in her movie.

I've only come across her lightly in comics back in the 90's so admittedly I'm not familiar with her character yet. So being that I'm not invested, I dunno I guess I don't care who plays her specifically. I wouldn't worry though, Marvel's been nailing it on the head with their casting so far. (Josh Brolin as Cable was an interesting choice)

I can't remember the last time it was this good being a fan of the Marvel universe. Just need a but more action on the games front though and I'll be happy all the way.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Otherwise why wasn't she been called to join the initiative before?

Because the MCU didn't know yet they'd be doing this movie... The story isn't written from movie one, it is being written from movie to movie, so they have to make adjustments to the whole plot and, yes, introduce new characters (to the MCU) when they are needed. The first and second Hulk movies didn't have any clues for what was coming because, it wasn't know it was coming. Eventually there was a project to do all of this, but the story line was just a scratch that has been cleaned and redefined as we go along.

There had to be the need/demand for female heroes, for the MCU to make a movie of Captain Marvel...

Demiurge

Reaction score
Iow, not one of their most popular characters...prior to 2018, not sure most ppl even heard of this chatacter.

Not like those icons, The Guardians of the Galaxy... or any of the Avengers who aren't Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, or the Hulk, really. Marvel seems fairly confident that they can take anyone from their roster and be successful.

That this will be the first Marvel movie with a female lead protagonist... unless they're really slow-playing the Liberal/PC/Misandrist Agenda, it's probably nothing to worry about.

sharedEQ

Reaction score
There we are.

I realized you learned this trick from the media, so you should be somewhat forgiven, but mix and matching quotes out of context to arrive at a racism/genderism conclusion so you can attack someone you don't know is bottom of the barrel stuff. You got a response, so *it worked*, but everyone knows it's bad form.

Last Jedi was panned for SJW principles at the expense of good storytelling. A large swath of the fanbase came to this conclusion.

My complaint was that it is a junk movie (Rey epitomizes the "Mary Sue", unexplained ressurection and floating through space "Deus Ex Machina", and other illogical and ridiculous examples) and as much as I've enjoyed the MCU movies, its possible they could do the same thing with Captain Marvel.

Wonder Woman apparently (havent seen) was a great movie first and they are using a well established character with lore. Captain Marvel, not so much lore, it appears that they may have been searching for a female character to push their own "wonder woman" female empowerment and that is bad news for story.

Curious if you can respond without toxic personal attacks.

Demiurge

Reaction score
Last Jedi was panned for SJW principles at the expense of good storytelling. A large swath of the fanbase came to this conclusion.

My complaint was that it is a junk movie (Rey epitomizes the "Mary Sue", unexplained ressurection and floating through space "Deus Ex Machina", and other illogical and ridiculous examples) and as much as I've enjoyed the MCU movies, its possible they could do the same thing with Captain Marvel.

I'm fairly sure that if you CGI'ed a swinging dick onto every female character in The Last Jedi it still wouldn't make it a better movie. It's just convenient that this "large swath" can blame the casting rather than accept the possibility that the studio can't decide whether they're telling a new story or an old one or- even worse- after the original trilogy, the prequels, and the "expanded universe" stuff the well may be dry.

Also, I'm really interested to know how Luke Skywalker- the bratty hick who is gifted with space magic ability- doesn't meet the definition of a "Mary Sue". Really, most "hero's journey" stories involve some manner of that trope, but it's only considered cheap storytelling under a specific circumstance.

Majoggy

Reaction score
The Marvel movies have all been pretty entertaining. They've introduced lots of characters I'm unfamiliar with or not particularly interested in. Until they start fucking up DC style, they can have my money.

I think the general high quality of their films means I give them the benefit of the doubt, they've earnt it.

The fact that she is a powerful female superhero is a non issue to me. This isn't ghost busters, I don't get the hate.

Obsidian Soul

Reaction score
I'm surprised nobody brought up the remarks she made about heterosexual,caucasian men, but given that the first remark towards the OP was an attack rather than trying to understand his perspective first I guess I shouldn't.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm surprised nobody brought up the remarks she made about heterosexual,caucasian men, but given that the first remark towards the OP was an attack rather than trying to understand his perspective first I guess I shouldn't.

Who? The comic book character?

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
If you don’t like it maybe don’t go see if? :shrug: If you’re asking why you should care, maybe you don’t fall into the target demographic.

I don’t know that they need to pick someone that’s a sex symbol among millennials to play the role, though. Benedict Cumberbatch isn’t exactly a sex symbol among millennials, and he got his own movie. Same with Mark Ruffalo.

I’m also thinking that they’re not after making a “girl power” statement. Given than girls are 50% of the population, it seems logical that at some point there’s going to be a girl lead character in the MCU. I’m actually surprised it took this long. In the past the franchises introduced characters like Cat Woman way earlier in the series.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Brie Larson.I have no problem with having a strong woman character,but the actress has said some things recently that makes her appear discriminatory.

What did she say? I’m not familiar, and haven’t seen anything in the news.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score

Jeeeeez, you guys are really against Brie Larson. Maybe lead with that? It’s a comic book movie. And he said she’s not good looking, and that the movie is just a girl power movie. I think he made his “perspective” abundantly clear. I would guess that the first remark just plain out didn’t agree with it.

I guess I just don’t understand what the big deal about having a female superhero is? It doubt it’s the illuminati trying to have women take over the world. I think it’s 100% because the studio thinks it’ll make them a lot of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.