Captain Marvel, why should i care?

• Thread starter sharedEQ
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Brie Larson.I have no problem with having a strong woman character,but the actress has said some things recently that makes her appear discriminatory.

I guess if you don't like the actors or actressess involved, don't see it. :shrug:

Not sure what that has to do with the movie itself though. It doesn't look like she has a writing or production credit.

Obsidian Soul

Reaction score
I guess if you don't like the actors or actressess involved, don't see it. :shrug:

Not sure what that has to do with the movie itself though. It doesn't look like she has a writing or production credit.
I'm just explaining why this is even an issue to begin with.I don't have to be told not to see a movie;I have enough sentience to make that decision myself,guy.

Edit: I don't mean to be antagonistic,but I hate when people take what I say out of context.I'm not a vehement hater of the movie,and I'm not going to see it.I'm not even a part of the demographic her statements were aimed at.And no,the actor does matter.Otherwise,anyone could be an actor playing any role.

Last edited:

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm just explaining why this is even an issue to begin with.I don't have to be told not to see a movie;I have enough sentience to make that decision myself,guy.

I'm not your guy, friend.

You're doing a dogshit job 'splainin this, hence everyone asking what the heck you're talking about. :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Captain Marvel, not so much lore, it appears that they may have been searching for a female character to push their own "wonder woman" female empowerment and that is bad news for story.

Actually, the lore and off universe history of Captain Marvel is much more deeper and more complex than many people realise. Look up her relation with DC's Shazam to see what I mean.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Edit: I don't mean to be antagonistic,but I hate when people take what I say out of context.I'm not a vehement hater of the movie,and I'm not going to see it.I'm not even a part of the demographic her statements were aimed at.And no,the actor does matter.Otherwise,anyone could be an actor playing any role.

I get what you're saying. :yesway:

I don't really like Vince Vaughn, so I choose not to see his movies, but that doesn't mean I can't find one of the films he's in funny or good on its own.

I just think there's more nuance than actor bad = movie bad.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
Just in reply to the original post it’s a big budget marvel action movie with awesome effects and an A list cast. Either you’re into that or you’re not.

It’s a $20 movie ticket and two hours of entertainment. We’ve all spent more on dumber stuff.

I wouldnt expect anyone to “care” more or less about the movie without seeing it themselves.

PunkBillCarson

Reaction score
Basically Brie Larson said she didn't want to hear what a 40 year old white dude has to say about a movie directed towards "women of color" (her words, not mine). Personally, I don't give a flying fuck what she says IRL, not that she's wrong anyways. I'm going to watch a movie to see what it adds to my favorite universe. Don't like it, don't see it. Swear, people act like when a movie comes out that Hollywood is ramming it up their asses or something. Even if the movie was about girl power, why does that matter? Why can't they have their say or little breath of fresh air just for two hours? Is that so wrong?

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
she's one of the most powerful heroes in the comics as well, rivaled only by dark phoenix and a few others... she's been a character in their roster since damn near the 60s, so just because you didn't know about her doesn't make her unimportant. the carol danvers arc is the best version of her story in the comics, so be glad they didn't go with the sjw pandering ms. marvel version.

PunkBillCarson

Reaction score
she's one of the most powerful heroes in the comics as well, rivaled only by dark phoenix and a few others... she's been a character in their roster since damn near the 60s, so just because you didn't know about her doesn't make her unimportant. the carol danvers arc is the best version of her story in the comics, so be glad they didn't go with the sjw pandering ms. marvel version.

FUCKING THANK YOU!!!

sharedEQ

Reaction score
Jeeeeez, you guys are really against Brie Larson. Maybe lead with that? It’s a comic book movie. And he said she’s not good looking, and that the movie is just a girl power movie. I think he made his “perspective” abundantly clear. I would guess that the first remark just plain out didn’t agree with it.

I guess I just don’t understand what the big deal about having a female superhero is? It doubt it’s the illuminati trying to have women take over the world. I think it’s 100% because the studio thinks it’ll make them a lot of money.

Thats not what I said. I asked if these were the reasons.

I think she's attractive-ish in a generic sort of way. Not like the girl they got to play Wonder Woman who is a 10/10.

sharedEQ

Reaction score

I reasearched this, and they only made her powerful in the past five years. The majority of her stories she was a backup character.

Looks like they were laying the groundwork in the books for this to happen in MCU.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I reasearched this, and they only made her powerful in the past five years. The majority of her stories she was a backup character.

Looks like they were laying the groundwork in the books for this to happen in MCU.

Could articulate your question about it differently? You're asking why you should care, but you've seem to have done a fair bit of research into the back story of this. Are you asking why you should care about the character, or why should you care about the actor, or why this movie is important in the MCU? I think people originally assumed you were mad that there was a female superman type character getting a movie made about her. I think that's what got us off on the wrong foot.

beerandbeards

All things must pass
Reaction score
I’m looking forward to Dark Phoenix! That was some of the best stories from the cartoon back in the 90s

KnightBrolaire

Reaction score

wrong, she's been an extremely powerful character since her binary and warbird days which were in the 70 through 90s. the current iteration of capt marvel is even more powerful, but she already had ridiculous power in the old comics such as : superhuman strength, endurance, stamina, physical durability, a limited precognitive "seventh sense" and a perfectly amalgamated human/Kree physiology that rendered her resistant to most toxins and poisons/ tap the energy of a "white hole", allowing full control and manipulation of stellar energies, and therefore control over heat, the electromagnetic spectrum and gravity. Light speed travel and the ability to survive in the vacuum of space were also possible.
oh also she can discharge explosive blasts of radiant energy, which she fires from her fingertips. She also demonstrates the ability to absorb other forms of energy, such as electricity, to further magnify her strength and energy projection, up to the force of an exploding nuclear weapon.

*mic drop*

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
wrong, she's been an extremely powerful character since her binary and warbird days which were in the 70 through 90s. the current iteration of capt marvel is even more powerful, but she already had ridiculous power in the old comics such as : superhuman strength, endurance, stamina, physical durability, a limited precognitive "seventh sense" and a perfectly amalgamated human/Kree physiology that rendered her resistant to most toxins and poisons/ tap the energy of a "white hole", allowing full control and manipulation of stellar energies, and therefore control over heat, the electromagnetic spectrum and gravity. Light speed travel and the ability to survive in the vacuum of space were also possible.
oh also she can discharge explosive blasts of radiant energy, which she fires from her fingertips. She also demonstrates the ability to absorb other forms of energy, such as electricity, to further magnify her strength and energy projection, up to the force of an exploding nuclear weapon.

*mic drop*

And it’s telling the story of the Kree Skrull war which is an event at least as big as ultron and Thanos.

The only thing they are doing is collapsing a lot of confusion and skipping over Monica. Which is fine. They should save her for the next wave movie. Please let there be a next wave movie.

KnightBrolaire

Reaction score
And it’s telling the story of the Kree Skrull war which is an event at least as big as ultron and Thanos.

The only thing they are doing is collapsing a lot of confusion and skipping over Monica. Which is fine. They should save her for the next wave movie. Please let there be a next wave movie.
they can use this as the precursor for the secret invasion arcs with the skrull as well

Metropolis

Reaction score
Actor herself is a modern feminist cunt and her face is kind of annoying, so enough reasons not to watch the movie in theater (maybe when it comes to Netflix) :fawk:

sharedEQ

Reaction score

*mic drop*
Thor is more powerful in the books. Now apparently marvel is top dog in mcu.

A complaint about justice league was superman won the fight, other heroes did almost nothing. Captain marvel could end up sa e way..deus ex.

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
Thor is more powerful in the books. Now apparently marvel is top dog in mcu.

A complaint about justice league was superman won the fight, other heroes did almost nothing. Captain marvel could end up sa e way..deus ex.

What books. You’ve read every single in continuity and in cannon book and can verify this claim? All the books?

Status
Not open for further replies.