Captain Marvel, why should i care?

• Thread starter sharedEQ
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sharedEQ

Reaction score
Actor herself is a modern feminist cunt and her face is kind of annoying, so enough reasons not to watch the movie in theater (maybe when it comes to Netflix) :fawk:
When she says things like she did, then gets cast in a lifetime bank role, makes me wonder if she was cast on poli views.

She was wrong choice. Five years ago, a wholesome apolitical starlet would have got role. Now women are rewarded for hateful feminism.

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
When she says things like she did, then gets cast in a lifetime bank role, makes me wonder if she was cast on poli views.

She was wrong choice. Five years ago, a wholesome apolitical starlet would have got role. Now women are rewarded for hateful feminism.

Ya fuck them for picking an actress with only one academy award and golden globe.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

PunkBillCarson

Reaction score
If a man said what she did and transposed race and gender, he'd be blacklisted.

Oh BOO FUCKING HOO, like men haven't been in power since pretty much the beginning...

Are you really that bothered that ONE of these movies is focused around a person who just happens to be a woman instead of a man? The rest of the movies have been pretty much a sausage fest with only a few women involved. Are you really that bothered that some people just want a level playing field? Men have had their say for millenniums ON END and even I, AS A MAN, am aware of this. How can some people be so dense, Jesus Christ...

Of course there's a bit of leeway when a member of one of the more oppressed members of the human race has a say, and not only that, what the fuck did she say that was exactly so terrible? What does a white guy have to say about a movie that isn't addressing him or his issues? Answer me that.

Oh, and I'm white, by the way, just thought you should know that as well.

Last edited:

Jason B

Unbanned
Reaction score
Just popping in to say that I was going to ask you folks how antagonism-marketing works, but I learned by reading the thread.

My own sanctimonious fight is in that thread about mayonnaise vs miracle whip; so I bid you a doodoo.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
At this point, even if I thought this movie was going to be a 100% dog turd, I'd still go see it just to spite the people who constantly whine about Brie Larson, SJWs and feminism. The entertainment afforded by that is something that money can't buy.

Yul Brynner

Change my pitch up! Smack my bitch up!
Reaction score
I don't know why people care about any of these comic book super hero movies.

I'd rather watch two hours of A Bit of Fry and Laurie or The Vicar of Dibley or One Foot in the Grave or Blazing Saddles or Blue is the Warmest Color or Major Payne or Apocalypse Now or Lake Placid...

Ordacleaphobia

Shameless Contrarian
Reaction score
If a man said what she did and transposed race and gender, he'd be blacklisted.

So I'm going to go right ahead and say that this thread was clearly a very thinly veiled attempt to discuss the identity politics at play here.
I agree with your perspective here for the most part, but I'm also going to say that I don't think you're doing a very good job at framing that conversation and that you're just digging yourself into a hole.

It looks like you framed the question like "what's the deal with this movie / why should I care about this movie," and you really already know these answers; you just dislike the casting decisions, the politics of the actors (and probably the production staff), etc and want to talk about that, but know that you can't start a thread just ranting about these things. Again, I'm on your side for most of that- but bringing it up through a facade of interest is not a good way to talk about it with people and will result in the kind of responses you've already received.

You should care about Captain Marvel if you cared about Captain Marvel the character already, or if you're into superhero movies. Not much more to it.
If you're tired of hearing about it, tired of the antagonistic marketing, never cared about Superhero Movie #48, and you're thinking you just must have missed something and surely this film will alter your life if you only knew this missing piece- stop. You're just gunna stress yourself out and waste your own time.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
wrong, she's been an extremely powerful character since her binary and warbird days which were in the 70 through 90s. the current iteration of capt marvel is even more powerful, but she already had ridiculous power in the old comics such as : superhuman strength, endurance, stamina, physical durability, a limited precognitive "seventh sense" and a perfectly amalgamated human/Kree physiology that rendered her resistant to most toxins and poisons/ tap the energy of a "white hole", allowing full control and manipulation of stellar energies, and therefore control over heat, the electromagnetic spectrum and gravity. Light speed travel and the ability to survive in the vacuum of space were also possible.
oh also she can discharge explosive blasts of radiant energy, which she fires from her fingertips. She also demonstrates the ability to absorb other forms of energy, such as electricity, to further magnify her strength and energy projection, up to the force of an exploding nuclear weapon.

*mic drop*

Fuck I wanna reads those comics now. What does a character like that even fight?

I’ve always loved cosmic story lines. (Green Lantern being my favorite DC hero/series by a long shot).

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
Fuck I wanna reads those comics now. What does a character like that even fight?

I’ve always loved cosmic story lines. (Green Lantern being my favorite DC hero/series by a long shot).

Depression

The original mar-Vell fought cancer. (He lost)

sharedEQ

Reaction score
So I'm going to go right ahead and say that this thread was clearly a very thinly veiled attempt to discuss the identity politics at play here.
I agree with your perspective here for the most part, but I'm also going to say that I don't think you're doing a very good job at framing that conversation and that you're just digging yourself into a hole.

It was late, I was typing on my tablet, there wasn't any thought given to it. Like a talk show host, I posed a question and left it up to the guests to give their opinion. There are people much more knowledgeable on comics.

I don't really care about the character or Brie Larson, I'm not a comic geek, I'm only mildly curious how they are going to save half the universe, and having researched the character, it still seems like a generic female superman, without a compelling backstory, and who went through many different iterations over the past 50 years.

The Brie Larson feminist quote, I found after I posed the original question. I am actually more interested in the topic of liberal "handout" casting to actors who publicly express vile opinions than I am about a relatively unknown comic character. Did her progressive views on race and gender land her that role? A decade ago that kind of talk would have got her blacklisted.

There are other examples of artists getting a big score after expressing vile/divisive liberal viewpoints on social media. It seems that a willingness to spew liberal rhetoric may have become the new casting couch. Thats actually quite a bit worse than sexual qpq.

No one presented a compelling view on the character so I guess we are left with the politics of the casting.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
This thread fucking sucks because OP is a bootyhead who wants to make everything political.

Literally all this that you just posted is “defending trolling behavior 101” and honestly you could have posted this all in the US politics thread.

Ordo was correct this entire post was politically motivated and had absolutely nothing to do with the blockbuster action movie/marvel comics.

TL;DR - this thread sucks and OP is a bootyhead that doesn’t want to keep politics to the politics thread.

sharedEQ

Reaction score
This thread fucking sucks because OP is a bootyhead who wants to make everything political.

Literally all this that you just posted is “defending trolling behavior 101” and honestly you could have posted this all in the US politics thread.

Ordo was correct this entire post was politically motivated and had absolutely nothing to do with the blockbuster action movie/marvel comics.

TL;DR - this thread sucks and OP is a bootyhead that doesn’t want to keep politics to the politics thread.

I didn't know there was a politics thread. I was hoping the discussion would grow organically.

I agree this thread sux.

Demiurge

Reaction score
I didn't know there was a politics thread. I was hoping the discussion would grow organically.

I agree this thread sux.

What, a discussion topic posted in bad faith to pussyfoot around your already-drawn conclusions about a liberal conspiracy in the entertainment industry? You asked about a comic book character and people even gave you answers and that wasn't enough.

Honestly, I think your take about people liking Greta Van Fleet and people ignoring the Chinese kid that got run over was better.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I'd be interested in seeing the movie just from the point of view of having previously known nothing about the character. I really don't care who the lead actress is, or what her politics might be. Maybe like in other threads about dudes who do terrible things, I can separate the person from their works.

PunkBillCarson

Reaction score
I don't know why people care about any of these comic book super hero movies.

I'd rather watch two hours of A Bit of Fry and Laurie or The Vicar of Dibley or One Foot in the Grave or Blazing Saddles or Blue is the Warmest Color or Major Payne or Apocalypse Now or Lake Placid...

"I don't like these movies, so why should anyone else?"

Right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts