Capturing tones with Helix: USB or SM57 + Cab?

ChugThisBoy

Reaction score
Hi. Just like the title says.

I play through my cab loaded with V30's and seek all the tones with that setup. When I want to record something, I simply do it directly via USB and then add some 3rd party IR to the guitar track (it records RAW input since there's no cab in chain because I'm playing through cab).

The thing is, that I don't really like the sound that I'm getting. I have literally thousands of IR's and mojority of them sounds really good but I'm very picky about my overall tone so I'm not excited or happy about them.

Do you guys think that I will be more happy with traditional way of recording? I've done it in the past and I kinda liked it but didn't really get deep into mic positions etc. because I assumed that I have so much IR's to mess with.

Stupid thread? Delet it then :D If not, please feel free to post your opinions and/or experiences.

Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Do you guys think that I will be more happy with traditional way of recording? I've done it in the past and I kinda liked it but didn't really get deep into mic positions etc. because I assumed that I have so much IR's to mess with.
I'm a proponent of amp+cab, but considering it sounds like you already have the gear you need to mic up a cab yourself, give it a shot. You lose nothing but an hour or two of time for trying.

gienek

Reaction score
Mix recorded SM57 with IR tracks? Mind on alligning tracks togheter (plugin you can use https://www.forward-audio.de/fatimealign/)

Another, mix two IR tracks with different depth of reverbs on each one and radical volume change. Ex 4x12 with 5% reverb + -15db 2x12 open cab with 2% reverb

ChugThisBoy

Reaction score
Thanks guys! Appreciate the effort. I always kinda know what to do but I was curious what else I could try out. Testing new methods should be interesting

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Thanks guys! Appreciate the effort. I always kinda know what to do but I was curious what else I could try out. Testing new methods should be interesting
Honestly, if you have production questions like this one, one of the best things you can do is just spend an afternoon experimenting, trying mic'd tracks, IR tracks, various combinations, etc. Throw a LOT of shit at a wall and see what sticks.

ChugThisBoy

Reaction score
Honestly, if you have production questions like this one, one of the best things you can do is just spend an afternoon experimenting, trying mic'd tracks, IR tracks, various combinations, etc. Throw a LOT of shit at a wall and see what sticks.

Yeah, wekend's ahead so I'll try some new things I guess