Carbon Fibre/composite guitars

• Thread starter maliciousteve
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Be_eM

Reaction score
You had to post that link, didn't you?

Behind that reproachful tone I still read some silent appreciation :)
Yes, I had to.

So now I'm wondering about their pseudo-Stein hardware, or about substituting hardward from (say) Strandberg, even though the Strandberg stuff doesn't handle the size of stirngs I'd want at the bottom end (although his custom builds show that the tuners might handle larger).

The hardware looks like being made by ABM Mueller. They aren't new to the business, and as far as I've heard their parts are high quality.

Bernd

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

VigierUSA

Reaction score
The Moses neck on my Steinberger is hands-down the best guitar neck I have played. Ever.

Granted I haven't played any Mayones, BRJ, etc. that are all the rage on these forums, but among the Gibbys, PRSs, and more mainstream expensive guitars I have laid hands on mine blows them out of the water in terms of feel and playability. That guitar went from being mediocre hand-cramping Chinese pseudo-trash to my favorite instrument ever.

Two different types of headless necks, yes. A standard MB-27 on several Steinies, and a "woven" one. Moses actually seems to build complete guitars, too: GL Copy

That's awesome to hear! Alternative materials have always been of interest to me.

I just took a peek at their website - have their prices come down? I remember thinking they were way more expensive...

marilyn and gv i think...

Yeah - the GV Wood, Marilyn are the guitars and the Arpege and Passion basses both have Phenowood (what we call Phenolic @ Vigier) boards.

It's really an excellent material - completely unaffected by weather, super stiff, nice and dense like ebony, but even smoother. From what I understand, it really takes a toll on tools (and luthiers), kinda like stainless steel vs nickel frets.

Patrice told me he made one Excalibur back in the day with a Phenowood board... I may have to try to sneak away with it when I visit France...

Be_eM

Reaction score
I just took a peek at their website - have their prices come down? I remember thinking they were way more expensive...

No, the prices have been the same for the past few years. They still make this somewhat crazy statement:
Our Price: $310.00

List Price: $365.50

Well, the list price is THEIR price, they are the manufacturer ;)

celticelk

Reaction score

I've looked at getting a Steinberger analog with more than 6 strings. Your link had me perusing the site beyond that Steinberger body you linked to, and I saw this in the Custom area:

doub8guitarresized1.jpg

OMG WANT

Al NiCotin

Reaction score
Woods are natural composite materials. Every single luthier on earth, in a way, create and deal with composite materials :hbang:

Switch guitars vibracell? Ibanez Ergodyne? aren't they discontinued?

pink freud

Reaction score
I have one of the Carbon Electric Blade guitars. It's an interesting instrument, sonically. It has a bit of a scooped sound while having a bit of a semi-hollow sound at the same time.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
I did take a good look at one of these a couple years ago, when I saw it at one store near where I was living:

xox_zig_zag.jpg

It's an XOX Handle Guitar, I believe is what it's called. Unfortunately, I didn't play it, so I can't tell you what it sounded like. But construction seemed flawless, based on that glance.

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
For whatever reason, I thought this topic was focused on electrics, but I do like my Rainsongs, especially those with truss rods, allowing dialing in the perfect relief for any given player....

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
XOX guitars are made completely of carbon fiber... although to be honest I played one and really wasn't blown away by it tonally. :(

I did take a good look at one of these a couple years ago, when I saw it at one store near where I was living:

xox_zig_zag.jpg

It's an XOX Handle Guitar, I believe is what it's called. Unfortunately, I didn't play it, so I can't tell you what it sounded like. But construction seemed flawless, based on that glance.

My friends guitar teacher has this really cool "handle" guitar. It's completely Carbon Fiber. It's so light and it resonates perfectly. It's really just awesome.

Photo Shoot | Facebook

Yeah they've been mentioned twice in the thread already. I've played one, looked really cool but sounded meh. :shrug:

Also not noted but Emerald in Ireland makes CF-based guitars, although not sure if they only do acoustics or if they do electrics as well. They do fanned fretted guitars too which is pretty cool. :yesway:

5406166576_36569d8c1e_b_d.jpg

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
What's the main advantage to a composite guitar? Weight?

Weight is a factor yes, but I think it's also the idea of not dealing with (provided you live in an area where this is a factor) climate changes. New England is the fucking worst for that and we have crazy weather, so your guitar can be set up fine one day then 80% humidity the next? Fucking forget about it, time to reset that bitch.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah not to mention evenness of tone and a "standardized" tone due to the material, no variance of tone between two guitars as there is no "wood" to color it differently.

TemjinStrife

Power Metal Cellist
Reaction score

I've looked at getting a Steinberger analog with more than 6 strings. Your link had me perusing the site beyond that Steinberger body you linked to, and I saw this in the Custom area:

doub8guitarresized1.jpg

So now I'm wondering about their pseudo-Stein hardware, or about substituting hardward from (say) Strandberg, even though the Strandberg stuff doesn't handle the size of stirngs I'd want at the bottom end (although his custom builds show that the tuners might handle larger).

Anyway, I thought others might find that picture interesting....

I'm guessing that's designed for tapping, one hand on each neck? Because I have small hands, yet holy hell would it be hard to access the upper neck :lol:

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
Weight is a factor yes, but I think it's also the idea of not dealing with (provided you live in an area where this is a factor) climate changes. New England is the fucking worst for that and we have crazy weather, so your guitar can be set up fine one day then 80% humidity the next? Fucking forget about it, time to reset that bitch.

Konfyouzd, Highgain510 and I all live in the same general vicinity, and we have the same issues here. Humidity is redonkulous around here during the warmer months, yet we can also get extreme cold during the winter. My set ups usually only last a few weeks, regardless of what time of year it is. :noplease:

')