Carcass is a damn good band

• Thread starter Sunlit Omega
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AdamMaz

Reaction score
I unexplicably have not gotten into Carcass, although I've been aware of all of the praise and have had their discography for awhile.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ShadowFactoryX

OMNIHILITY
Reaction score
old carcass is replicated frequently. most of the bands that do it, fail

not too many have the necro-heartwork touch though
heartwork is by far one of the most important metal albums of all time

GhostsofAcid

Suiçmez fanboy
Reaction score
Great band. I only have heartwork though, maybe i should check out their other albums...

canuck brian

Bowes Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Has anyone here ever gotten to see Carcass live? I bet that it would have been a fucking amazing show.

I got to see them on the Heartwork tour here in Toronto with Pitchshifter opening. It was fucking amazing.

The sound on that album is just monstrous - main reason i bought at 5150 way back then.

-42-

Nothing to see here
Reaction score
Also, forget everything you know about 'metal' guitars.

Bill_Steer.jpg

Sunlit Omega

Chaos Engineer
Contributor
Reaction score
The opening riff to "Buried Dreams" gets me everytime. I can't help but lose my mind when I hear it, that is on my list of top 5 favorite riffs of all time.

Inazone

Reaction score
I think that Heartwork, along with ATG's Slaught of the Soul, represents the ideal combination of songwriting and production. Carcass and At the Gates were both bands that probably would have been more appreciated earlier in their careers with the benefit of better production. As much as I don't intend a similiarity in terms of quality, Heartwork and SotS were to Carcass and ATG what the "black album" was to Metallica, in the sense that improvements in recording technology coincided with the right industry conditions for those bands to really make a mark with a larger audience. I hesitate to use the word "mainstream" because people view it so negatively, but Heartwork came out at the right time and with the right sound to open a lot of doors for other extreme metal bands. Its mainstream popularity paved the way for dozens if not hundreds of bands to succeed.

I love it. I also like quite a bit of Swansong - the album Megadeth should have made instead of Risk!

Shogun

Reaction score
Damn! i was gonna start a carcass appreciation thread but you beat me to it, oh well. Carcass were so far ahead of there time man. Heartwork is definately in my top 5 of favorite metal albums. I love the brutal tone they got on that album and necrotisism. If im not mistaken didn't they use marshall amps on heartwork ? jcm 900 i think

Triple-J

the Experimetalist
Reaction score
the rain soaked post industrial wasteland known as
Have any of you guys heard Blackstar? they were the band that Jeff, Ken and Carlos formed after Carcass split they only did one album though.

I love it. I also like quite a bit of Swansong - the album Megadeth should have made instead of Risk!

I've gotten a lot of funny looks from people when I tell them I've always felt that Swansong is what Megadeth would sound like if they pushed for a harder sound so thanks for making me feel sane again. :lol:

FACTORY

Manufacture
Reaction score
Loved Carcass back in the day & still do, they are (or at the very least were) a fuckin great band.

Reaction score
Carcass rules. Heartwork has one of the best guitar tones I've ever heard in metal.

Also anyone interested in stuff that sounds similar should undoubtedly check out Burning Bridges by Arch Enemy. It's pretty much what Swansong should have been.

rippedflesh89

Reaction score
its nice to see all this carcass appreciation here... one of the most crucial bands to the development of death metal

ittoa666

Being confused on SS.org since 2008
Reaction score
My all time favorite Carcass song. So crushingly heavy.

Stealth7

Reaction score
wat :scratch:
regardless, Heartwork has one of the best guitar tones on any album ever

Yeah I don't know! :lol: I can hear a bit of a Heartwork influence in their stuff... Maybe that's just me though. :shrug:

')