Carvin 7 Opinions

Taylord

Reaction score
Hey guys, so I have a EBMM JP7 which is great and I am looking into getting another 7. Something that is pretty different but equally as awesome. I've been considering a DC 727 for a while now and while most of the reviews seem to be good, I hear a lot of things a long the lines of the guitars feeling sterile, too bright, and other things of that nature which I know is mostly preference but still. I have also read a lot of threads about reasons why bolt-on construction is preferred by most and all the benefits it offers.

So I was curious what owners or previous owners of these guitars have to say after using them for a while and having compared them to other guitars.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

decreebass

Business Secrets of the Pharoahs
Reaction score
Firstly, I LOVE my JP13 7 - but I also love both my Carvins: a DC800 and a 747 (basically the 727 with a middle single coil pup).

I've never heard ANYONE say they're too bright, sterile, or anything negative - unless a particular build has issues.

I'm in the exact same boat as you. I LOVE my JP, but I'm starting to get the itch for another Carvin, especiallty since they just released the DC7X (27" scale DC700) which you can get passive pups in...

People could debate for days between bolt-ons and neck-through and set-necks; but it's really personal preference. I love the way all my guitars play and feel. I don't think you've got anything to worry about no matter what you go with.

Here's my NGD for the JP13: http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/sevenstring-guitars/249176-ngd-ebmm-jp13-7-mega-pic-heavy.html

Here's my NGD for my DC800: http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/ex...quilt-carvin-dc800-lots-pics-added-fixed.html

Basically, I'm not sure where I said it, (probably the first link) but they are really on equal ground - ESPECIALLY considering the JP cost me more than $1K more than the DC747. THere's noe way I could think of to improve either guitars. Seriously. I'm currently having to actively convince myself that I don't need another guitar... lol

Hyacinth

Ghostmaker
Reaction score
I love my DC727 a lot. Mine definitely doesn't sound sterile or too bright. The neck is really comfortable and fast. The neck joint is a dream and really allows easy access to all the upper frets. Just do yourself a favor and get SS frets. I recently cleaned my DC727 after a couple years of owning it almost no dirt built up on the frets after very frequent playing. The stock pickups are pretty bad for metal tones, but that's an issue you'll find with 90% of guitars out there. One thing that I didn't like is that the pickup routes are smaller than most other pickup routes, so you'll most likely have to make a bit more room when you replace the pickups.

mbardu

Reaction score
Let me put it that way.

To get something similar in quality to Carvin in any similar us made brand, be prepared to pay anywhere between 50% to 100% more.

They are different, but of same quality level as an ebmm, and in my opinion better (playing/sounding /finished) than your standard (e.g non 5k+ custom shop) Jackson USA or esp Japan.

I own many carvins, at the moment including one seven string (dc747). You can't go wrong with that model in terms of quality, and if it's not your thing in terms of subjective feel, you can always return them after 10 days. You'll only be out return shipping. But I honestly have not seen many people doing that.

Once you go Carvin, it's very tough not to get a second one, third one, etc...

mbardu

Reaction score
That's funny I had not thought of it that way before... But I was perfectly content with one ebmm in my 'collection'. Same with prs, I'm happy with the one I have.

But Carvin is the one brand that continues to instill GAS consistently guitar after guitar.
So that may be an inconvenient actually. Once you bite it's a powerful poison (deadly for the wallet) :).

mbardu

Reaction score
I love my DC727 a lot. Mine definitely doesn't sound sterile or too bright. The neck is really comfortable and fast. The neck joint is a dream and really allows easy access to all the upper frets. Just do yourself a favor and get SS frets. I recently cleaned my DC727 after a couple years of owning it almost no dirt built up on the frets after very frequent playing. The stock pickups are pretty bad for metal tones, but that's an issue you'll find with 90% of guitars out there. One thing that I didn't like is that the pickup routes are smaller than most other pickup routes, so you'll most likely have to make a bit more room when you replace the pickups.

There have been a number of recent updates to Carvin Guitars.

They offer new more modern shapes with the DC600/700/800/7x series.
They have industry standard size pickup routes now.
They have ofr bridges on 7s (finally).

And they just released the dc7x for extended 27" scale.

7stg

Reaction score
Carvin just came out with the DC7x, and I would say that is the way to go. it has a 27" scale vs the 25.5 of the DC727 which will make the low B1 sound more clear the pickups and hardware can be the same as the DC727 if you wish.

Carvins are great, love mine. Tone has a lot to do with pickup choice and some to do with wood choice and hardware choice. I would not say most like bolt-on construction, some do, but some like set neck and some like neck though.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Yeah, I love Carvins - 7 strings and otherwise. I've never heard of anyone saying they sounded too bright or sterile, either, although I will say I'm not a huge fan of the actives on the DC800. But I loved the pups on my DC727.
The one thing you do always hear about Carvin is, "I don't know why I didn't get one years ago!"

ramses

Guitar/pizza regular
Contributor
Reaction score
To get something similar in quality to Carvin in any similar us made brand, be prepared to pay anywhere between 50% to 100% more.

This!

I have owned/borrowed a number —i.e., more than 5— of USA-made guitars that were up to twice as expensive as my Carvin DC747, and they were all of the same quality or lesser quality —Parker, PRS, .strandberg*, Les Paul CS, Fender CS.

Of course, you may not like the top you get, or how the neck feels in your hands —very personal things—; but, you have the 10 day return policy to cover you.

I acquired my DC747 on September of 2011, and it still leaves me amazed —after more than two years! That's why I always recommend Carvin to anyone going for their first custom guitar, or their first "expensive" guitar (a Carvin "full extras" 7-stringer will cost you less than $2400.00).

I will definitely order another Carvin 7-stringer one of these days, and I don't believe I'll ever sell my first one.

7stg

Reaction score
I will say I'm not a huge fan of the actives on the DC800.

Anything in particular you don't like? I will likely be getting them in my next build, so, curious.

Carvinkook

Reaction score
Whats my Name!
Lol, as with anything its.all.a matter of taste.
I'll tell you this I traded a Les Paul standard, for a Guitar on a wall.at.a.pawnshop because it was just ,"right"... I didn't even know what a carvin was. That was in 1994, and that guitar was my #1 for 15 years. Now carvins are almost all I own.I'm not a ridiculous fanboy.. but there are carvin Gems out there to be had at very reasonable prices. All but one of mine are used.

Discoqueen

Dang tootin
Reaction score
I think maybe I've heard the criticism that Carvin pups are a little too bright/thin/sterile, but I've never heard the guitar themselves are. I enjoy my 727 very much, the stock pickups weren't good for metal, but I really enjoyed the beautiful cleans I could get with them, not bright or sterile.
Question to OP: When you listen to a track can you tell what sort of neck construction is on the guitar? Especially under distortion I doughnut believe I ever could. I like the 727's construction because of how smooth the heel is, on certain days my bolt on tele is acoustically louder, on others my set neck Sg... I think maybe how you set the guitar up is more important then the stryle of construction.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Anything in particular you don't like? I will likely be getting them in my next build, so, curious.

Yeah, they're not horrible, but they're a little thin sounding on the lower strings. I might be able to dial it out on the amp, but it's just not as full as other actives I'm used to or other passives. Keep in mind that I'm just plugging it in and expecting it to perform the same. It might well be that if I were to dial it in specifically they'd be great. So maybe I should just say they're different from most of the others.

Hyacinth

Ghostmaker
Reaction score
I didn't like the stock pickups in my DC800 either. They weren't terrible, I just wanted something different.

that short guy

Reaction score
The only person I've ever heard say that their Carvin was too bright was Rev, but he'll even tell you that he prefers the darker tone of mahogany.

Honestly bro, as long as you don't want anythign that's an option 50 you've got nothing to lose except the money it would cost you to return it and if it were me i would just consider that small amount "cost of renting"

If you're skeptical buy one of the instock models if it's close to the specks you'd want on the Carvin sight and try it out and use their return policy

Mike

Reaction score
Honestly, I regret all the money I wasted on other 7 strings when I could have had a Carvin. I have a DC800 now and it's hands down my favorite guitar. As soon as gas fundage comes around again, it'll most likely be a DC7x for me, or another DC800.

ducer

ducer
Reaction score
Had DC727 for nearly 2 years, made from KOA. Kinda good guitar, however it wasnt what I was looking for because the original creator decided that this guitar will be a fusion one, not a metal one (no bass, just midrange and a bit of high peak).

')