Carvin 727 neck vs Schecter C7

• Thread starter dav2321
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dav2321

Reaction score
Hey guys, I recently got the C7 and while I like the sound of it and the extra tension on the low B ( 26.5 scale) , the thick neck is giving me second thoughts. Currently my other 7 is a Ibanez 7421 (SD Custom pu in bridge). The Ibanez neck is comfortable and easy to play, the C7 felt like a bat the first time I played it. Dont get me wrong, I have no real problem fretting notes/chords with it, I'm just trying to figure out if I should keep it. Which brings me to Carvin, are their necks any smaller than the C7 ? I looooove natural finish guitars, esp. mahogany and have thought about getting one of those instead. In fact there's one there that I believe was owned by someone on this forum-Polaris 20 maybe ? Anyway sorry for the long first post, any thoughts appreciated.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Guitarist4JC

Reaction score
I ordered a C-7 through Musicians Friend back in Feb and waited until April 4th and it was still on back order, so I cancelled that and ordered a Carvin 727 for a few hundered dollars more the neck is excellent!! The pickups could be hotter IMO. I ordered mine with tung oil tung since I was use to wood and not paint. I have never played a C-7 but after you said that they have baseball bat size necks sounds fun. I was playing mid 80's Jackson's and Charvel's which had those type of necks. Lots of wood.

WayneCustom7

Paolo
Contributor
Reaction score
Guitarist4JC said:
I ordered a C-7 through Musicians Friend back in Feb and waited until April 4th and it was still on back order, so I cancelled that and ordered a Carvin 727 for a few hundered dollars more the neck is excellent!! The pickups could be hotter IMO. I ordered mine with tung oil tung since I was use to wood and not paint. I have never played a C-7 but after you said that they have baseball bat size necks sounds fun. I was playing mid 80's Jackson's and Charvel's which had those type of necks. Lots of wood.
This is a good post cause my favorite neck on my 7's is the one on my Wayne Custom (Charvel) which, even though was built in 2000 or so is modelled after the guitars of the 80's...like a bat. In fact it doesn't feel like a 7. As a comparison my USA Washburn, has a thinner, slightly wider neck...so I am currently looking to buy another 7 and these posts comparing neck profiles helps a bunch. Thanks!

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
Hmmm, don't know how to answer with an opinion. I have a C-7 and love it. However, I do agree about the neck. I'm actually finding that my thumb gets tired way too fast playing it. When I played on my Ibanez AX7221 I never ever got fatigue. But with the Schecter I'm getting it very often. It's disturbing. It's not the scale either cause I'm perfectly fine with the scale. I also have long fingers. I figured I may get used to it or something eventually. Hopefully I will. If not there are plenty of options out there ;)

Rev.

Mind Riot

Devoted seven stringer
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm just the opposite. I had an Ibanez RG7421 with a really thin Wizard 7 neck, and I got hand fatigue after playing it for a while. My Schecter 007 Blackjack has a thicker neck (though I wouldn't go so far as to call it a bat neck) and it feels much more comfortable and I can play for much longer.

I also have long fingers, and huge hands. Everybody's different, eh? I love my Schecter's neck, it's my fave neck I've come across.

Jeff

Banned from Reality
Reaction score
Yes, I had a DC727, and previously had a 1527, and will once again have a 1527 on Wednesday, and have played Schecters.

While I did get rid of the DC (for reasons I believe to be unique to my particular guitar, not the line in general) the neck was simply amazing. Not as thin as an Ibanez, but fast nevertheless, and with a satin finish, wonderful to play on.

I do enjoy Schecters as well though, but their necks are thick. A neat feel though. I have long skinny E.T. fingers, but smallish palms. I've never had any fatigue issues with any of the 7's I've played

dav2321

Reaction score
So Polaris20 ,that is your guitar on Carvins web site right?- DC727 #90644 ? Has to be. Great looking guitar, I'm tempted... What was your problem with it? Man I wished Ibanez had a mahogany hardtail 7. (Edit) Hmmm, just saw the other post-question answered, too bad.

guitarjitsumaster

seven times seven
Reaction score
I have the Schecter A-7, The neck is fatter then an RG but IMO the fret profile and size (I think the schecter frets are larger) on the schecter is better which allows me to be very acurate when im shredding very fast and the width of the neck is very comfortable but if I could get a custom neck with the schecter features but the depth and profile of the back of the wizard neck I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Jerich

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a Carvin 747...I ordered from Carvin and i ordered the neck not finnished This time around just so i could address this problem. I took the guitar to my Guitar builder who makes my Archtops and I had him Shape the neck a little more..I wish i could tell you by how much But,I do not know.It was alot I had him contour it to the same dimensions as my BC Rich Beast's Because i liked the feel and radius of them. I did have a C7 at one time too and the necks were VERY!! similar. but the C7 was a painted neck so i would have messed the guitar up by doing this.And YES CARVIN pickups are about the worste out in the market if you like distorted guitar .Country Twang they are great for. I enjoy my Carvins very much.Loaded with Lundgren M-Model pickups,they are my tone..

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I've played both (own a C7), and like the neck on the Schecter a lot more than the 727. The C7 is just more comfortable all around.

7StringofAblicK

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a carvin and two shecters (C7 and Omen). Neck wise, i prefer the carvin. As mentioned above, it is thinner and I prefer the ebony fretboard. But, the schecters feel great in my hand for powerchords since there is more wood to grab on to (psychological thing i suppose). The only downfall I see in my schecters is the arm rest for the picking hand. It doesn't slope down like most guitars and when I'm finished playing for a while, my skin is all red and has actually bled before. If I wasn't a freak about keeping them in good shape, i would sand the fuckers down at that point so it wouldn't bother me. Cosmetically, it would destroy them.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
7StringofAblicK said:
It doesn't slope down like most guitars and when I'm finished playing for a while, my skin is all red and has actually bled before. If I wasn't a freak about keeping them in good shape, i would sand the fuckers down at that point so it wouldn't bother me.

Damn, you actually bled from that!? Wow. When I first got my Schecter I was complaining about this aspect. It's bothersome at first. By now though I'm completely used to it and don't really even think about it anymore. As for the neck... well I guess if one wants the neck thinner they could probably always bring it to a luthier and have them sand it down and re-finish it. But I guess that would probably cost some decent $$$. I think I'll also soon get used to it's thickness as well. I love the feel of the neck. It just fatigues my thumb at the moment.

Rev.

Jeff

Banned from Reality
Reaction score
dav2321 said:
So Polaris20 ,that is your guitar on Carvins web site right?- DC727 #90644 ? Has to be. Great looking guitar, I'm tempted... What was your problem with it? Man I wished Ibanez had a mahogany hardtail 7. (Edit) Hmmm, just saw the other post-question answered, too bad.

Something caused a weird ringing/sympathetic harmonic when muting the strings, regardless of the location of the muting, or which string.

I wonder if they fixed it? I am surprised to see it up there already.

Latest posts

')