Carvin 8 Strings Available!!

• Thread starter shaneroo
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ben.Last

Formerly Lern2Swim
Reaction score
I like 20 lbs of tension on my strings at these scales, and even if you're no lower than F# you can't get it on that low string unless you're using bigger than an .80 gauge (which some string manufacturers don't even offer). It's just physics. The only way around it is to get a longer scale length than 27".

No. Like you just wrote, you can also get heavier strings. They are not prohibitively hard to find.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Setnakt

il Brutto
Reaction score
To get an .84 you have to buy a Bass VI type string set, even if you don't like the other strings. You can get a .90. You can get bass strings. Those are your choices without going custom, which gets expensive and involves wait times. In all cases you have to order them on the internet and get them by mail, unless your store will actually order them for you, which is not always the case.

Those are prohibitive factors. Plus, you may not want a really big string, due to inharmonicity and issues of balance with the other strings in feel and tone.

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
Seeing as most folks don't use the low string for anything but chugging type stuff, with lots of distortion, inharmonicity becomes much less of an issue than if you were say, playing jazz with it.

potatohead

Reaction score
There's one in every crowd :noplease:

DD.png

Adam Of Angels

The GAS Man
Reaction score
Less tension results in more vibration, which means your notes break up a lot more with distortion. Since most folks playing 8 strings are playing metal, the 27" scale is far more useful.

Setnakt

il Brutto
Reaction score
Tell that to Meshuggah, bro.

If Meshuggah is one of the main reasons why people get interested in 8 strings, I still don't understand why none of the name brand companies or even custom-ish shops like Carvin don't make guitars that resemble theirs.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score

If Meshuggah is one of the main reasons why people get interested in 8 strings, I still don't understand why none of the name brand companies or even custom-ish shops like Carvin don't make guitars that resemble theirs.

While they might want the sound, what if the guitar showed up and was unplayable to 50% of the audience? That's why they're not doing 28"+ scale 8's. Seriously, I've played on all sorts of extended scale stuff (I have baritone and fanned fret guitars in my stable currently), 28"+ for a guitar is NOT what I consider to be a comfortable scale and I'm 5'10" and don't have T-Rex arms. They probably did some asking around and found that generally that was the case. I haven't seen Shane post up but I'm assuming he ALSO told them that since that's what they're going with and he has the first one. :shrug: We get it, you REALLY like 28" scale, but if they're going to sell them (and that's their end goal), playability might be a bigger part to their game and other folks running 27" on their 8's seem to be getting by just fine. :2c: Also the guitars I've played that were above 27" scale were not my cup of tea particularly when it comes to the high strings. You gain the tension on the low strings but the added tension on the high ones is not desirable to both my hands and my ears.

There's one in every crowd :noplease:

DD.png

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Yeeeeeep.

MJS

Reaction score
I'd buy 10 of them if they had a 27.0001" scale. :spock:

Adam Of Angels

The GAS Man
Reaction score

Meshuggah gets their sound from crazy long scale lengths. That doesn't change a single thing about what I said about shorter scales.

thrsher

\m/-_-\m/
Reaction score
i have yet to play a 27 in 8...my current 8 is 28 5/8 and the tension is great on the baritone side but not treble in terms of sustain and vibration etc. also, fret spacing is not what i prefer either for that scale. my next 28 in scale will have 27 frets. i am hopeful for the 27 in scale but i dont think it will be enough tension unless i bump it to .80 gauge since i drop it to E

Adam Of Angels

The GAS Man
Reaction score
I was just laughing about the people that are like, "Oh, a company that was unlikely to offer 8 strings made an 8 string? It's of really good quality and relatively cheap? Well, they don't offer it in many different scales lengths, so its not perfect, so basically, fuck that company for being stupid jerk retard idiots." :lol:

potatohead

Reaction score
I was just laughing about the people that are like, "Oh, a company that was unlikely to offer 8 strings made an 8 string? It's of really good quality and relatively cheap? Well, they don't offer it in many different scales lengths, so its not perfect, so basically, fuck that company for being stupid jerk retard idiots." :lol:

:yesway:

With this thing and the V3M Carvin has completely blown the lid off the respective market for each of those products... And all people do is whine.

Setnakt

il Brutto
Reaction score
So apparently any comment about how their new product unfortunately doesn't cater to my needs is "whining" and telling them to fuck off for being "stupid jerk retard idiots."

Thanks for staying civil, guys.

potatohead

Reaction score
So apparently any comment about how their new product unfortunately doesn't cater to my needs is "whining" and telling them to fuck off for being "stupid jerk retard idiots."

Dude the entire 15th page is moaning that it's a 27" scale. 90% of people are fine with a 27" scale, so they build that. If you want something else you can get exactly what you want elsewhere but of course it's going to cost three times as much.

XEN

BEYOND 6UITAR & B4SS
Contributor
Reaction score

Four words:
Carvin made an 8.

The appropriate response is somewhere between dumbfounded disbelief and joyful weeping. Anything else is, well, you know....

Adam Of Angels

The GAS Man
Reaction score
I'm not aiming that comment at anybody in particular, or even completely serious, I'm just saying its funny how people complain about something that was unlikely to happen at one point in time. Bottom line is, if you don't like it, you don't have to pay any mind to it. There's plenty of options out there. Go check out Strictly 7 - Jim will build you an affordable, custom 8 string with a long scale and great quality. No need to dis on Carvin - their stuff is awesome, and well worth the price.

')