Carvin 8 Strings Available!!

• Thread starter shaneroo
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MikeAlustrium

Mike DeMaria
Reaction score
i just wish they had an option for passive=/ that being said I wish carvin would finallllly make their routs compatible with other pickups. im sick of grinding down all my bass plates haha

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

xwmucradiox

sweep.tap.sweep
Reaction score
Let's not accidentally imply that the 2228 is superior to these Carvins. Carvin makes some seriously awesome stuff, and I'd take one of these over a 2228, assuming they were both free.

I think it really depends on what you like. Based on the Carvin 7s I have played, Im concerned that the necks on these 8s are going to be huge D-shaped affairs compared to the slim and extremely comfortable contours on a 2228. I wish they had the neck specs posted for these.

I do think some of these might be awesome guitars though. I'd love to grab an ash/maple one perhaps.

ZEBOV

Banned
Reaction score
Heres hoping that ibanez realizes their competitive disadvantage now and releases something more affordable than the 2228 but higher quality than the rga8 in the next 12 months or so. Otherwise I forecast their US 8 string sales will plummet.

If ibanez does that, it will STILL have shit pickups in it. I'd rather have no pickups than shit pickups.

AntiTankDog

Reaction score
If they made longer scales I'd be all over it. A 27" 8 string does NOT blow my skirt up.

Ishan

Giant Fridge Magnet
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm contemplating contacting the French importer just for the hell of it! If the custom I spec'd come close to 1700€ (Carvin ask 1700$ for it, but that's before shipping and import taxes) it would be a pretty good price.
Too bad I expect 2500€ to be more realistic :lol:

jl-austin

Reaction score
Wow! This is the first Carvin that I would actually consider. I have never been a fan of the rounded edges and the shorter scale length of the DC700.

I can pretty much make a DC800 to my liking without option 50. Now the question is, should I really go 8 string?

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
I think it really depends on what you like. Based on the Carvin 7s I have played, Im concerned that the necks on these 8s are going to be huge D-shaped affairs compared to the slim and extremely comfortable contours on a 2228. I wish they had the neck specs posted for these.

Every Carvin I have gotten my hands on has had tiny necks.. Too small for my preferences infact. Even the 7 string is only 0.9" at the 12th fret. They also tend to have less shoulders than comparative thinner necks, which at least plays in their favour.

Galius

Mentally Guitarded
Reaction score
The more I go through the builder the more I want one of these. I was getting quotes upward to $1,600, but after playing around with the options I found a VERY nice and simple combo that runs just under 1,300 and looks just as nice as one spec'd to the max. Now to figure out which of my guitars to sell :/

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Every Carvin I have gotten my hands on has had tiny necks.. Too small for my preferences infact. Even the 7 string is only 0.9" at the 12th fret. They also tend to have less shoulders than comparative thinner necks, which at least plays in their favour.

Believe it or not, that .9" is still the better part of 10% thicker than that of even the RG2228. Even more compared to most Ibanez 7s, and a pretty good amount more than the majority of Ibanez 6s.

All things are relative though. We don't all play nearly 1" thick G&L Classic/Vintage necks. :lol:

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Seeing as 90% of folks plan on throwing some aftermarket pickups in these, and the REALLY low cost of the instrument all together, I don't see even the shittiest of stock pickups being an issue. :2c:

xwmucradiox

sweep.tap.sweep
Reaction score

Really? Every 747/727 I have played has had a much larger neck than my 7620s have. If anything I find that they have much heavier shoulders than most other necks. Basically, my experience with their 7 strings has been the complete opposite of yours. ERGs are really the only guitars where I prefer the thinner necks. Most of my teles and other guitars have rather substantial necks.

Hemi-Powered Drone

Dragonblade629
Reaction score
Another thing the Carvin has over the RG2228 is that it has the apparently shredder friendly 20" radius, as well as an option to have a 14" radius. That seems like a point in Carvin's direction in my book.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Another thing the Carvin has over the RG2228 is that it has the apparently shredder friendly 20" radius, as well as an option to have a 14" radius. That seems like a point in Carvin's direction in my book.

I don't see how a 20" radius is "shredder friendly". All that a flatter radius allows is for larger string bends without fretting out.

Some of the best shredders over the last three decades have used fretboards in the 9" to 17" range.

Have you tried a 20" radius? I have, and it's really not all that different from an Ibanez 17" (rounding), or the 16" of Jacksons.

idunno

Reaction score
The flattest I play is a twelve inch radius, is a twenty a jump you would really notice?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The flattest I play is a twelve inch radius, is a twenty a jump you would really notice?

You'd likely notice. Not saying you'd like it any more or less, but it would be noticeable. Your particular playing style will also come into play there as well.

Latest posts

')