Carvin DC727/747 VS Agile Hornet Pro 725

Camael

Reaction score
Hi!

I'm looking for 7-string guitar, and think about 2 brands - Agile and Carvin. I live in Russia, and Carvin's price here is about 1000$ (used). New Agile w/delivery about 950$.
So, what's better? Carvin's design is ugly IMO, but i think that wood on USA guitars is better than South Korea-made.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mrhankey87

Banned
Reaction score
It's a matter of taste. Generally speaking, USA made guitars are better than Korean made, but it really depends from case to case.

If the used Carvin you're referring to is in in good condition and doesn't have playability defects, go for it.

eyebanez333

Reaction score
I've loved every Agile I've played...and they're well worth the money. That being said, I haven't played a Hornet. But since you'd have to have it shipped, it's not AS great of a deal. Carvin makes some great guitars too.

Camael

Reaction score
No, Carvins generally in near mint condition, but price sometimes can be higher (1000-1300$).
Agile is much more beautiful, i have some doubt about wood only. It is african mahogony or "nato" - eastern mahogony?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Go for the Carvin, while they may not look as sharp, and are a bit pricier, they are built with better woods, and are made to a MUCH higher standard as far as fretwork, build, and fit & finish. While Agile's aren't bad by any means, they simply aren't in the same league with Carvin.

You're comparing mass produced, "budget", Korean instruments to high end, custom shop, USA made guitars.

Edika

Reaction score
^ I agree. I haven't played an Agile and would like to grab one at some point but am in love with my Carvins.

And Carvin guitars are not ugly PERIOD! :p

failshredder

hammer every cock
Reaction score
Хотя у меня никогда не было того или другого -- привет из Америки! ;p

(Hopefully using a foreign language isn't some kind of faux pas around here?)

Last edited:

Camael

Reaction score
Ты там родился или туда уехал на ПМЖ? Стукни в аську три шесть шесть два шесть шесть шесть девять шесть, пообщаемся :)

I saw very beautiful Carvin DC727 from Koa with natural finish, but most of them not so beautiful as V with no markers on fretboard. This is only my opinion) And I already have a superstrat.

led-ua

Dysphoria (guitars)
Reaction score
Hi!

I'm looking for 7-string guitar, and think about 2 brands - Agile and Carvin. I live in Russia, and Carvin's price here is about 1000$ (used). New Agile w/delivery about 950$.
So, what's better? Carvin's design is ugly IMO, but i think that wood on USA guitars is better than South Korea-made.
Друг, забудь про Эджайлы, я не знаю, почему здесь все так на них пускают слюни, к нам в Киев/Харьков порядка 5 штук уже приезжало - по сборке и звучанию они на несколько порядков хуже старых японских Ибанезов. За те деньги, что они стоят с доставкой, лучше выцепить с ебэя старую японскую семерку Ибанез, либо искать Карвины до 700-800 долларов. С доставкой выйдет как раз $1000.
Я писал в студии своей Карвин 727 и 747 - отличные гитары, суперсборка)

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The Carvin will generally speaking have a much better build quality than the Agile. For a comparable price go for the Carvin :2c:

Camael

Reaction score
Друг, забудь про Эджайлы, я не знаю, почему здесь все так на них пускают слюни, к нам в Киев/Харьков порядка 5 штук уже приезжало - по сборке и звучанию они на несколько порядков хуже старых японских Ибанезов. За те деньги, что они стоят с доставкой, лучше выцепить с ебэя старую японскую семерку Ибанез, либо искать Карвины до 700-800 долларов. С доставкой выйдет как раз $1000.
Я писал в студии своей Карвин 727 и 747 - отличные гитары, суперсборка)
Старые японские семёрки Ибанез в основном из японской липы, что просто дикое унылое говно по сравнению с ольхой и махогоном, имхо.

Карвины без доставок с ебэя уже здесь 28-40 тысяч рублёв стоят.

failshredder

hammer every cock
Reaction score
Ты там родился или туда уехал на ПМЖ? Стукни в аську три шесть шесть два шесть шесть шесть девять шесть, пообщаемся :)

I saw very beautiful Carvin DC727 from Koa with natural finish, but most of them not so beautiful as V with no markers on fretboard. This is only my opinion) And I already have a superstrat.

Я рожден в США, но начал изучать русски язык в 17 лет, так что прости меня за ощибки. По кровью Американец. У тебя AIM или Skype? Ненавижу аську. :p

По-моему, ты должен смотреть на "черты" и звук гитара. Верь мне, вид кончит имееть значение когда понимаешь, что твоя новоя, красивая гитара играет и звучит фигово.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi!

Однозначно Carvin. Звук намного более породистый,взрослый. Agile звучат на уровне Ltd 400ой/1000ой серии,Schecter... Carvin-гитары намного более высокого уровня. И выглядят они уж точно не агли ;)

Я рожден в США, но начал изучать русски язык в 17 лет, так что прости меня за ощибки. По кровью Американец. У тебя AIM или Skype? Ненавижу аську. :p
Прекрасный русский ;)

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
No offense, but you should save your native tongue conversations for private messaging :)

bend

Reaction score
ололо! ту мени рашн ленгвич юзерс в этом итт треде :D

bend

Reaction score
и да карвин и ажайл это две большие разницы и по цене тоже

Umbralegio

Hidden in the Fog
Reaction score
No offense, but you should save your native tongue conversations for private messaging :)

Nah, its the Russian invasion on SS.Org!! Yay!
Вообщем я б тогда смотрел или Карвины, или Ибанез К-7 (часто попадается за вкусные деньги).

kevman

Reaction score
Go for the Carvin, while they may not look as sharp, and are a bit pricier, they are built with better woods, and are made to a MUCH higher standard as far as fretwork, build, and fit & finish. While Agile's aren't bad by any means, they simply aren't in the same league with Carvin.

You're comparing mass produced, "budget", Korean instruments to high end, custom shop, USA made guitars.

Really? You have been to the Agile plant? They do custom work too. I have seen the order form! I know what you are saying but think that the level of craftsmanship on a $950 Agile is going to be pretty stellar, perhaps as high as a Carvin. It's not like the machines they route Carvins with are any better than the machines they route Agiles with. Wood selection? Maybe an edge to Carvin. Upper end Agiles give nothing away in component quality barring a real Floyd Rose vs. a decent licensed unit.

I'd say go with your gut. If someone is selling a Carvin which they paid a good chunk for new they must be getting rid of it for a reason. Also I like bound necks on my set neck and neck through guitars. A personal preference that Carvin does not cater to. If I am spending a grand I want binding. Carvin does make great guitars no doubt, just not for everyone. Both will do poorly in the resale dept. but Agiles are collecting quite a following. Used prices will always be dictated by what you could order a new one for.

I have a first gen Hornet 6 string and it is very light I think it's agathis and it sounds like mahogany. I'll record the next track on our demo with it and post it hopefully next week. Also it is every bit as nice as an 800 dollar LTD or Schecter in terms of fit and finish. I paid like less than $300 for it new. I changed the pups to something even more metal (GFS Crusaders) but the 2500 level of Agile's ceramic humbuckers sound great to me and I have them stock in my #1 LP shaped guitar. What pickups come stock in the Agile 7s? I'll go have a look.

If an Agile 7 were in my budget I'd get one. My budget is smaller though.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Really? You have been to the Agile plant? They do custom work too. I have seen the order form! I know what you are saying but think that the level of craftsmanship on a $950 Agile is going to be pretty stellar, perhaps as high as a Carvin. It's not like the machines they route Carvins with are any better than the machines they route Agiles with. Wood selection? Maybe an edge to Carvin. Upper end Agiles give nothing away in component quality barring a real Floyd Rose vs. a decent licensed unit.

I'd say go with your gut. If someone is selling a Carvin which they paid a good chunk for new they must be getting rid of it for a reason. Also I like bound necks on my set neck and neck through guitars. A personal preference that Carvin does not cater to. If I am spending a grand I want binding. Carvin does make great guitars no doubt, just not for everyone. Both will do poorly in the resale dept. but Agiles are collecting quite a following. Used prices will always be dictated by what you could order a new one for.

I have a first gen Hornet 6 string and it is very light I think it's agathis and it sounds like mahogany. I'll record the next track on our demo with it and post it hopefully next week. Also it is every bit as nice as an 800 dollar LTD or Schecter in terms of fit and finish. I paid like less than $300 for it new. I changed the pups to something even more metal (GFS Crusaders) but the 2500 level of Agile's ceramic humbuckers sound great to me and I have them stock in my #1 LP shaped guitar. What pickups come stock in the Agile 7s? I'll go have a look.

If an Agile 7 were in my budget I'd get one. My budget is smaller though.

The CNC machines are not doing the fretwork though, that's still left to humans. All the machines do is make the bodies, necks, and fretboards. All the "artisan" work is still done by hand.

I'm speaking from the experience of owning four Carvins and six Agiles. Like I said, Agiles aren't bad, they are just not up to par with Carvin. The fretwork on my Carvins was significantly better, with no sharp ends, and no mis-leveled frets. I wish I could say the same for half my Agiles.

As for Carvins, the reason the resale is so minuscule on them is they are just so damn cheap new. Why buy a said guitar with half the specs you want for $1000 when you can get the EXACT guitar you want for $1200?

I stand by what I said man, because I've seen it first hand. Have you held an Agile 7? Have you held a Carvin 7?

')