Carvin DC727 Opinions?

• Thread starter Tom 1.0
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Tom 1.0

Djizz.
Reaction score
I am looking to get one built in the next few months and was wondering if you guys would be able to give me feedback on how yours have held up and if possible post some pictures up of these great looking guitars!

Thanks,

Tom

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mhickman2

The Abiding Dude
Reaction score
They are pretty much the best value on the market. With direct factory pricing they can't be beat. The woods are great quality and the 5 year warranty speaks for itself. My only recommendation is you order everything you want in a guitar.

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
No guitar in Carvins price range competes with Carvin (except G&L, which I like more, but Carvins bolt on instruments fall at a lower price, so I guess G&L still costs more), although slightly less attention to detail is paid as say PRS , they can come very close to competing with a PRS. I am sitting playing my LB75 right now :lol:. With better, industry sized pickups and a bit more strictly on what is acceptable they would be equals in my mind. Watch out for off the list options, my experience has been they screw them up, omit them, and the like a lot more often (2 out of 3 orders).

Tom 1.0

Djizz.
Reaction score
Thanks guys :)

DC 727

-MA - Maple Neck/Alder Body (Standard) $0.00
-CG - Clear Gloss Finish (Standard) $0.00
PB - Pearl Blue $0.00
RB - Rounded Body Sides $40.00
-PH - Headstock To Match Plain Wood Body Color (Standard) $0.00
-EB - Ebony Fingerboard (Standard) $0.00
NIN - No Top Inlays - Side Dots Only $0.00
6100 - Jumbo Frets .055" H .110" W $15.00
-R14 - 14in Fretboard Radius (Standard) $0.00
-C26B - C26 Bridge Pickup $0.00
-C26N - C26 Neck Pickup $0.00
-400 - Black Coils w/ Black Bezels (Standard) $0.00
BC - Black Hardware $30.00
-1056 - Elixir Light Gauge .010 - .056 (Standard) $0.00
ABL - Abalone Logo $30.00
PK - Metal Knobs w/ White Pearl Inlays (Black Inlays on Black Knobs) $10.00
ETR - Engraved Truss Rod Cover $10.00
Truss Rod Engraving:
Line 1: Tom
Line 2: Horn
HC11S - Form-Fitted ABS Hardshell Case FREE $0.00
Custom Shop Total: $984.00

Anything you guys would add?

mhickman2

The Abiding Dude
Reaction score
To be honest, the rounded body takes away from the look. Add tung oil neck. I would also suggest getting laminates(walnut) in the neck as well as changing the body wing wood, mahogany probably. That's just my opinion. I like the woods to oppose eachother to add more drama to aesthetics. Their triple step finishes are excellent as well. They certainly compete with prs when it comes to finishes.

Tom 1.0

Djizz.
Reaction score
I have my mahogany guitars, I hoped the Alder and Maple would allow it to have a nice bright and add a bit of cut to it?

I'm not too concerned about pretty woods though as I am having a solid finish, I choose the Rounded Body as I thought that would make it feel a bit like an S?

I am a bit hesitant to spend too much as I am buying it through a friend in the states, the same guitar came out at £1500 exactly, ordered through my friend £700.... Stupid or what?

I was thinking if this came out well and I was happy with it I would probably spend more on a nice 6, which is what I primarily play.

shanejohnson02

Hammer of the Gods
Reaction score
To be honest, the rounded body takes away from the look. Add tung oil neck. I would also suggest getting laminates(walnut) in the neck as well as changing the body wing wood, mahogany probably. That's just my opinion. I like the woods to oppose eachother to add more drama to aesthetics. Their triple step finishes are excellent as well. They certainly compete with prs when it comes to finishes.

+1

I have a tung oil 5-piece neck, and it is pure sexx. Also, the rounded body sides is a more personal issue...I have them, and I have no problems with the guitars looks or stability while sitting down (which are the biggest 2 complaints concerning rounded body sides). YMMV, so I say pick whichever one looks the best to you.

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
A tung oil 5 piece neck isn't always the best idea, as you will need to effectively sand out some ridges now and then.

At the end of the day, don't worry about what options people want you to have, get what YOU want. A 5 piece neck is 95% an aesthetic choice, I have not noticed much difference in stability overall. Tung oil necks are nice, but not necessary.

Tom 1.0

Djizz.
Reaction score
So the rounded body makes it a bitch when sitting down?

I wont go for a 5 piece neck, tonally I wouldnt hear a different and like I said I wont see to anyway :shrug:

I have the specs i am happy with but I jut want to see what Carvin owners would have avoided if they were to do it again :)

shanejohnson02

Hammer of the Gods
Reaction score
So the rounded body makes it a bitch when sitting down?

I wont go for a 5 piece neck, tonally I wouldnt hear a different and like I said I wont see to anyway :shrug:

I have the specs i am happy with but I jut want to see what Carvin owners would have avoided if they were to do it again :)

In that case, the only thing I would do differently, is ask Carvin to put the controls in the same location as the DC747. I don't know if they do that sort of thing, but I'm sure it could be accommodated.

Edika

Reaction score
The rounded sides on my DC&$& and my DC400 don't cause me trouble while playing sitting down. Maybe it makes the guitar a bit more slippery with the gloss finish but that's the only I noticed. You will be pleasantly surprised with the guitar. It seems you are going for a fixed bridge and not the licensed Floyd. The licensed Floyd seems solid and if you opt for that put the locking nut also. Also it would be a nice touch to take the active electronics also. In my 6-string they produce a very nice acoustic tone.

ThorSilhouette

Reaction score
i like mine quite a bit. its also of note that they pop up on craigslist quite cheap, which is how i snagged mine. the rounded body sides dont bother me at all, although i will say that after playing superstrat ibanezish guitars for quite a bit that the right arm contour is less pronounced--not a huge issue, and of course the neck is a bit chunkier than most of the aforementioned axes too. all in all a very nice guitbox

Reaction score
My experience with my DC727 has been a mixed bag.

I never really liked the tone that the stock woods (maple and alder) produced. Even after a pickup swap (which is bothersome with Carvins) the tone was still unappealing (for metal).

I've had a lot of intonation/tuning problems due to the Floyd Rose, particularly with the low B string. I doubt I will ever buy a guitar with a tremolo after this experience.

I will say that Carvin's aesthetics are top tier. I absolutely love the way my guitar looks (quilted maple with black burst edges).

shanejohnson02

Hammer of the Gods
Reaction score
As far as wood choice goes, I opted for the 5-piece mahogany neck with swamp ash wings. The stock pickups were WAY too dark/muddy with this combo, but the CL/LF set I installed is excellent.

I haven't had any issues with my Floyd. My guitar *does* need a setup again. I try to do a full setup about every 3 months or so when it's new, and then every 6 months or so when it's settled in.

That being said, I think my next 727 will probably have a walnut neck, and it'll definitely be a hardtail.

Tom 1.0

Djizz.
Reaction score
Thanks for the opinions guy,

I decided upon my final specs and they arent much different to the original ones other than I have opted out of the Rounded Body..

DC 727

-MA - Maple Neck/Alder Body (Standard) $0.00
-CG - Clear Gloss Finish (Standard) $0.00
PB - Pearl Blue $0.00
-PH - Headstock To Match Plain Wood Body Color (Standard) $0.00
-EB - Ebony Fingerboard (Standard) $0.00
NIN - No Top Inlays - Side Dots Only $0.00
6100 - Jumbo Frets .055" H .110" W $15.00
-R14 - 14in Fretboard Radius (Standard) $0.00
-C26B - C26 Bridge Pickup $0.00
-C26N - C26 Neck Pickup $0.00
-400 - Black Coils w/ Black Bezels (Standard) $0.00
BC - Black Hardware $30.00
-1056 - Elixir Light Gauge .010 - .056 (Standard) $0.00
ABL - Abalone Logo $30.00
PK - Metal Knobs w/ White Pearl Inlays (Black Inlays on Black Knobs) $10.00
ETR - Engraved Truss Rod Cover $10.00
Truss Rod Engraving:
Line 1: Tom Horn
Line 2: 7
HC11S - Form-Fitted ABS Hardshell Case FREE $0.0

So fingers crossed in 12 weeks I should have it with me :D

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
Should really get the SS frets, they are like sex for your fingers. I have been playing the bass for 4 years and the guitar for 2 and not a spec of wear on either of them.

Tom 1.0

Djizz.
Reaction score
I have quite a light touch so the SS isn't really vital to me for longevity, I have an 8 year old Epi with no wear on it so its not really an issue, maybe next time :)

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
I have quite a light touch so the SS isn't really vital to me for longevity, I have an 8 year old Epi with no wear on it so its not really an issue, maybe next time :)

Oh, not so much about the fret wear - but they're SO divinely comfortable to play! The longevity is a bonus but for me the primary concern was the feel and they really are incredibly comfortable.

Still, maybe next time :)

SYLrules88

I play drums!
Reaction score
cant wait to see this thing tom! im thinking my next guitar will be a carvin. i wont need one or be able to afford one for a while though, so ive got plenty of time to decide on my options! here are some photos of my carvin bass to make the wait for your git a little more painful! :lol:

IMG_0323.jpg

IMG_0324.jpg

IMG_0325.jpg

IMG_0327.jpg

Latest posts

')