Carvin DC800 carbon-fiber neck rod question

techmetalshred

Reaction score
I am interested in getting a DC800 soon because I have seen some that look amazing. I am still on the fence about getting a used one or saving up a bit more and getting a custom made.

The used DC800 that I was looking at was made in 2011, and Carvin mentioned that the newer models use carbon-fiber rods in the neck to add reinforcement. It sounded like that was the only change since 2011. I am aware that they are trying to sell me on getting a custom built but I was wondering if anyone has any insight as to how much these rods affect the neck?

I am leaning more towards buying used but there are pros and cons to both.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ferret

Reaction score
It might be important to note that starting May 2015, every Kiesel/Carvin has the reinforcing rod. Originally it was just the 27" models.

gimmiedataxe

Reaction score
Honestly, I've had a number of dc800s and 2228s that were made before and after the carbon rods and kts rods (both multi lam and single) and neither i nor my tech have ever noticed a difference between them and the newer models. I'd say if you're getting a good price, go for it.

vick1000

Reaction score
It may make more of a difference on the one piece neck option, but laminated necks should be rigid enough.