Carvin DC800 Need Help!

• Thread starter GoingGranola
  • Start date
  • Tags
    dc800
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GoingGranola

Reaction score
Hay I am new to this forum but am going to purchase a DC800 and was wondering if a swamp ash body with maple neck would look weird. Also I was going to slap a ebony streak-less fret board on it. I am looking for suggestions on what to get; However, I want a natural looking body with black hardware and an opposite in colors for body/fret board. For example, If I got a walnut body and neck I would like to get a maple fret board. I also have no clue what finish to put on it. Is gloss more durable than satin, and is tung-oil really worth it? Please help me.

Thank you,
GoingG

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sean1242

Very Left Handed
Reaction score
I have one with a swamp ash body and a one piece maple neck and I personally love how it looks. The top on it is Claro Walnut.

GoingGranola

Reaction score
Hey man that looks sick and it really helps. Im considering just going all maple but I feel like it does not have enough grain on it. If you went all maple what finish would you get with it?

frogunrua

Lord of the Afros
Reaction score
The tung oiled finish is definitely worth it. Even if you only get it on the neck.

Sean1242

Very Left Handed
Reaction score
I'd keep it natural as I'm not a big fan of putting a color on a guitar. My finish is the Tung Oiled Satin which is free as far as I know. A maple top on the swamp ash body/maple neck would be nice.

Reaction score
I just received my DC800, from everything I have read a 5-piece neck will help with some stability but one-piece is more than fine- I decided to get a maple neck w/ walnut stripes to match the walnut wings, and those lines look sick!

SUGGESTION: I went with Satin finish as I felt the Tung oil was too raw or dry- however I am learning quickly that satin finishes rub away quickly to leave shiny spots from friction and oils - I would definitely recommend Tung oil as I havent heard from any others on SSO that the same issues occur.

Get the SS Frets, Straplocks, and don't forget about body binding to match body if you want the top to match on the sides (otherwise it shows as a binding) as well as matching headstock. FWIW Walnut body is crazy heavy, they had a swamp ash in store and it felt/played great - if I build another one I will probably go one-piece neck, swamp ash and tung oil (ya live, ya learn).

You can always call them too, they were great in working with me.

Seanthesheep

Reaction score
the difference between one piece and 5 piece is marginal, unless you are touring. for home use 1 is fine but 3 or 5 is more stable. it just means itll take longer to need a truss rod adjustment. If youre touring I imagine the humidity and temp changes will have a bigger effect on a guitar, so ideally for a touring guitar Id like to have a 5 piece neck

thebunfather

Custom Monkey
Reaction score
I've heard the same about the 5 piece vs 1 piece necks. It's not a necessity, unless you live in a climate that varies alot or touring.

I ordered a 5 piece on mine, due to the humidity and temp changes in northern MI. I think my next one will have a single piece neck, though.

Sounds like your on the right path to a killer new guitar, though!

GoingGranola

Reaction score
Thanks alot guys it really helps. So is the 5 piece thicker? Also I think I am going to go towards either an ash body/ maple neck or all maple with gloss finish. I feel like the tung-oil colors the wood which is not what I am looking for. I think im going to call them and see if they could send a pic of a guitar they're making with these specs. I am just too worried that the swamp ash will look weird with the maple or that the all maple will look like a crappy cheap guitar.:wallbash:

Also do you think this guitar is Swamp ash body with flamed maple top and neck with tung-oil finish? Their website does not specify on this guitar.
http://www.carvinguitars.com/images/guitars-in-stock/large/118027b.jpg

Fractal Infinity: That is a sick guitar man. You live in San Diego??? that is sweet. haha I think my GC/SA has a ash/maple guitar going to try it out tomorrow.

Frogunrua: Do you know if the tung-oil goes all the way through the body on the neck? or just the neck that you touch?

What inlays would you guys like to see on a all maple ebony (no streak) fretboard. Or none at all? supa pro guys supa pro

Thanks again!

Seanthesheep

Reaction score
I've heard the same about the 5 piece vs 1 piece necks. It's not a necessity, unless you live in a climate that varies alot or touring.

I ordered a 5 piece on mine, due to the humidity and temp changes in northern MI. I think my next one will have a single piece neck, though.

Sounds like your on the right path to a killer new guitar, though!

I live in toronto and the weathers been all over the place lately and all my 1pc neck guitars have been fine, which is most of them :lol:

Cloudy

Pacific Wood Lab
Reaction score
As long as you get a top it doesn't matter what neck/body combo you get really(imo)... In regards to Swamp ash/ash vs Maple they're pretty close in colour and Ash definitely has a nice grain!

I would definitely take an ash body w/maple neck pieces.

Definitely would recommend getting a 5p neck for stability purposes, and serious tung oiled necks are amazing and are almost a must with carvins, its like turning down a Filet Mignon to eat a flank steak.

MikeK

Reaction score
Tung oil is not a care free finish. It builds on the surface and will go into to pores of the wood, curing over into a protective barrier. It will wear off over time and need to be re-oiled or waxed at some point. Satin finishes do not wear off, they are just hard to keep looking satin. Your skin oils leave a shine to the finish. Rubbing alcohol will take the oils right off and leave the finish looking satin again.

RV350ALSCYTHE

Reaction score
1 Piece maple neck will be fine and look much better. Have two DC800s with one piece necks and their wood selection brings out great patterns.

I find Tung Oil to be overhyped. It feels nice but I'd prefer less manintenace and better surface durability from satin and clear coat finishes. I'll never get a tung oil finish again since its main benefit isn't important for me.

Tung Oil feels like raw wood with a little greasiness. I personally have to no issue touching satin and clearcoat finishes in regards to tackiness and hand sticking to the neck, but if You do then Tung Oil may be worth it.

Cloudy

Pacific Wood Lab
Reaction score
Basically almost all the options are good, just do what you think is right for yourself.

frogunrua

Lord of the Afros
Reaction score
Thanks alot guys it really helps. So is the 5 piece thicker? Also I think I am going to go towards either an ash body/ maple neck or all maple with gloss finish. I feel like the tung-oil colors the wood which is not what I am looking for. I think im going to call them and see if they could send a pic of a guitar they're making with these specs. I am just too worried that the swamp ash will look weird with the maple or that the all maple will look like a crappy cheap guitar.:wallbash:

Also do you think this guitar is Swamp ash body with flamed maple top and neck with tung-oil finish? Their website does not specify on this guitar.
http://www.carvinguitars.com/images/guitars-in-stock/large/118027b.jpg

Fractal Infinity: ThDR
at is a sick guitar man. You live in San Diego??? that is sweet. haha I think my GC/SA has a ash/maple guitar going to try it out tomorrow.

Frogunrua: Do you know if the tung-oil goes all the way through the body on the neck? or just the neck that you touch?

What inlays would you guys like to see on a all maple ebony (no streak) fretboard. Or none at all? supa pro guys supa pro

Thanks again!

This is my DC800. It has a flamed maple tung oiled neck, ebony fretboard, and a sunset burst swamp ash body with spalted maple top. I hope this helps.

20130627_144204_zpsbc6e84fa.jpg

20130627_144045_zpsbe79758a.jpg

Latest posts

')