Carvin DC800 UK prices?

rjcampbell

Reaction score
Hey guys, this is my first post here and I'm thinking about getting a custom 8 string this summer :D

I'm thinking it's either going to be a Carvin DC800 or a Strictly 7. However I live in the UK (scotland to be precise :yesway:) and am wondering how much DC800's start at in £'s and what they top out at as I can find this anywhere on Carvin's website?

Cheers!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

maliciousteve

Contributor
Reaction score
For what you'd pay for a Carvin now days you get can a decent custom 8 string made to your specs. Carvin messed up by raising their prices those outside the US :realmad:

RGA8

Reaction score
or; are items imported from the US taxed heavy by your country? I'm not sure and I thought I'd throw that out there. That may be driving the price up.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
or; are items imported from the US taxed heavy by your country? I'm not sure and I thought I'd throw that out there. That may be driving the price up.

Importation has nothing to do with it. It's been proven by users on here that it's actually cheaper to buy a new Carvin via a third party in the US and have it shipped and imported to Europe.

What's driving up the price is distributor/retailer markup, which is something that Carvins don't encounter in the US.

It's Carvin's fault for letting these distros/retailers markup their products so significantly. There's a rather large thread on this somewhere, you may want to peruse it. It's a very good, informative read.

Edika

Reaction score
Problem is we can't have an idea through the Carvin site of how much the guitar would cost, because when you spec it out you have no prices. You have to contact a dealer and that means you are committed on buying the guitar, whatever the cost, and of course have the money. I am not sure though if dealers would entertain you while sending spec sheet after spec sheet (or like 4 or 5 at once) trying to find which combination you can afford.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Problem is we can't have an idea through the Carvin site of how much the guitar would cost, because when you spec it out you have no prices. You have to contact a dealer and that means you are committed on buying the guitar, whatever the cost, and of course have the money. I am not sure though if dealers would entertain you while sending spec sheet after spec sheet (or like 4 or 5 at once) trying to find which combination you can afford.

I would think they would if they want to make a, on the low side, $2500 sale.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
As max said, you're probably looking at about $2500 plus shipping and tax at 20% and duty at 3% (of the gross amount).

Daemoness, Invictus or Siggery would be much cheaper. Haven't seen much out of Invictus personally, some of their designs look a little strange but if you can wait 18 months a Daemoness would be amazing.

I think Vik is in Latvia, so no tax, but then we're talking £2-3k and a 2 year wait.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
Yeah I got a quote for a DC800 and it was waaaaay more expensive than what U.S folk have been paying. It's a pain in the ass. I've decided to get a Siggery instead.

thrsher

\m/-_-\m/
Reaction score
FYI any international parties interested, i am already acting as a middle man for a forum member in germany for a dc800, have no problem helping anyone out

Alpenglow

music and shat
Reaction score
Hey, why not Invictus guitars or Siggery? they are from UK and carvins are expensive in europe.
Personally I'd go for one of these. Invictus is currently making new 7s for all of Vildhjarta's guitarists. I've heard good things about both. It will be in the same price range as a nice imported Carvin. Carvins are not a bargain outside of the US, unfortunately. :noplease:

Ishan

Giant Fridge Magnet
Contributor
Reaction score
I've tried that route before, the distributor was asking 1800€ for a 1350$ (approx 1000€ guitar), that's including taxes and duties, shipping and distributor markup. I don't think they get it @ 1000€ either, as distributors they have lower prices...
I just don't understand why Carvin doesn't sell online worldwide, they are just killing their international sells with this attitude. Maybe they aren't big enough to cope with that.

rjcampbell

Reaction score
Daemoness would be nice but I imagine they will be out of my price range. Looked at Siggery and Invictus, not too keen on Siggery's headstock shape and haven't really had a proper look at Invictus.

But if Carvins are starting at high prices then I think I'm leaning more towards Strictly 7

Ayo7e

ralugeR gro.ss
Reaction score
Daemoness would be nice but I imagine they will be out of my price range. Looked at Siggery and Invictus, not too keen on Siggery's headstock shape and haven't really had a proper look at Invictus.

But if Carvins are starting at high prices then I think I'm leaning more towards Strictly 7

Personally I recommend siggery, I've ordered one a week ago, and you can choose the headstock/body shape that you prefer, just email him. Affordable prices too.:metal:

btw I think strictly and daemoness are in the same price range...

rjcampbell

Reaction score
UPDATE

Just got this e-mail from Carvin:

'The DC800 starts at £1370 and can go up several hundred pounds depending on the options ordered. For example, if you order a spalted maple top this would increase the price by £292. Check out the builder online to see the options available and then contact one of our dealers for an actual price quote.'

Better be a really nice spalted maple top.. :eek:

Ayo7e

ralugeR gro.ss
Reaction score
UPDATE

Just got this e-mail from Carvin:

'The DC800 starts at £1370 and can go up several hundred pounds depending on the options ordered. For example, if you order a spalted maple top this would increase the price by £292. Check out the builder online to see the options available and then contact one of our dealers for an actual price quote.'

Better be a really nice spalted maple top.. :eek:

$2000 for basic specs...no way.:ugh:

Scattered Messiah

Kassandrian Dreams
Reaction score
If you're able to get hold of somebody trustworthy to act as middleman [can only recommend Thrsher, so far he was a really cool guy to pair up with], meaning he will order the guitar for you - and then ship it to you - the whole thing turns out to be quite competitive.
I calculated things through, and my dc800 will cost me a good deal less than a RG2228 - even with shipping, import tax and vat.

the upcharge for the whole guitar being officially distributed to Germany was like +1k € at least, so either third party or different builder, since I dont' see me pushing 1000€ up somebodys ... sleeve without gaining any advantage ;)