Carvin dmc200L vs isp stealth? pros/cons?

Gmork

Reaction score
Which one should i get?
Which has more lowend?
Which one has a beefier sound?
Etc etc etc.
Other 1U shallow poweramps that dont suck?
Ive been pouring over info on this subject and think ive come down to those two. I know i can order the isp from my local long and mcquade but i cant find a canadian dealer for carvin. Anyway,,, DISCUSS!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wedge_destroyer

Reaction score
I've never dealt with the ISP but the Carvin being a PA amp should deliver whatever you throw at it, with minimal coloration. Plus I've seen a lot of bass players use various carvin power amps with good results.

Gmork

Reaction score
Yeah ive always read good things about carvin. I know both are good choices. Hoping someone who has used both will comment. I wish it was the norm for power amps to have resonance/depth and presence controls.

Shask

Reaction score
Which one should i get?
Which has more lowend?
Which one has a beefier sound?

The DCM200L is a Class D power amp. Usually Class D poweramps are known to not have as much low end as Class AB power amps. That is why the Carvin 1540L was so popular. It was the smallest Class AB one they made. Sadly, they quit making it last year.

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
The DCM200L is a Class D power amp. Usually Class D poweramps are known to not have as much low end as Class AB power amps. That is why the Carvin 1540L was so popular. It was the smallest Class AB one they made. Sadly, they quit making it last year.

Not sure where you're getting that from, but there are plenty of class D amps that put out more low end than you'd ever find usable. Sounds like one of those myths perpetuated on the Talkbass forums by guys who think Class D amps are 'digital' in design :scratch::lol:

Shask

Reaction score
Not sure where you're getting that from, but there are plenty of class D amps that put out more low end than you'd ever find usable. Sounds like one of those myths perpetuated on the Talkbass forums by guys who think Class D amps are 'digital' in design :scratch::lol:

Just read threads all over the internet from the last 5-10 years on power amps and modelers. You can read for days on the perfect power amps for the Axe-FX. This has been said many times, by many different people.

wedge_destroyer

Reaction score
I'm with Harry, because if class D amps don't provide enough low end then why are they being utilized for PA amps for all applications including subs. If they were inefficient in low end reproduction compared to class AB, they wouldn't be used to drive subs in new PA systems everywhere, class AB would be used if that was the case.

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
Class D is perfect for that application. More than enough low end.

Elric

Reaction score
+1 on class D being a non issue. I have AB and D power amps. Both are definitely suitable if you get quality pieces and configure your rig properly.

Krucifixtion

Duncan Hills
Reaction score
The ISP Stealth is nice if you are looking for something light weight and compact. It's got plenty of power to run a 4x12 at full band volume and still cut through. Not sure how it compares sound wise to the Carvin. The ISP is pretty neutral.

Gmork

Reaction score
I def like the idea of light weight/compact. I had an art sla2 and to my ears kind of souded digital for a lack of a better explanation. Some frequency that always seemed present. Surprisingly i thought my ehx magnum44 sounded better. The sla2 was WAY too heavy anyway. I know a lot of people love them, so ??? I traded mine plus $300 for my beloved ampeg vh140!!!!! :) anyway, back to the topic at hand! I wish it was the norm to have a resonance/depth control on poweramps. So if you want that extra bit of oomph you got it without bringing in another piece of gear like an eq or something.

')