Carvin Ebony Kiesel Edition SCB6

• Thread starter Garnoch
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
Can someone educate me as to what this Kiesel edition business is?
94.gif

Jeff Kiesel is the grandson (or great grandson? I forget where they are in the lineage now... :lol:) of the guy who started Carvin. The Kiesel Edition guitars are typically fancier guitars based on standard Carvin models (although I guess that's just based on specs you choose) that are built by Jeff Kiesel instead of the standard production route. This basically allows you to request options you couldn't normally get via their standard custom shop, similar to PRS production guitars and Private Stock guitars if that makes sense. I think the upcharge was like $1K or $2K on top of typical model price, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it was closer to the higher end of that scale.

Seems like Jeff is very enthusiastic about his builds and will entertain a lot of unique options so honestly unless you're opposed to spending $2500+ on a Carvin, it's not a bad way to go if you're looking for the small luthier-type experience but a higher guarantee of delivery. That being said, I sincerely hope that Jeff is smart about this and knows approximately how many he can actually build himself so he doesn't start accepting a bunch of slots for Kiesel builds and then this turns into the (insert lack-luster luthier here) of the week deal all over again. :lol: I think Jeff is a smart dude and he knows the market could use something like this, and I thought I saw him post on his FB page that "a slot has opened for a Kiesel build" so I'm hoping he's paring it down to simply what he knows he has time to build and what he can't, thus avoiding any backlog-related issues with buyers getting antsy/upset about delays. :yesway:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Garnoch

Reaction score
Yeah, Jeff did say a slot opened up, but what he didn't say is that there is now a waiting list. I think it's up to 8 weeks now before he starts it but i could be wrong. So at least he's pacing himself.

If I remember correctly, Jeff announced on Facebook in March that he was going to start doing this. I believe he had showed off one that he had built and basically said, okay here's what I'm doing and what you can expect. He made it sound like you would contact and deal with him directly via FB. You'd choose whatever model and features you want. A KE would be $2000 on top of the base model's price (the model with no fact tops) and would include a 5 piece body and a 5 piece neck. The matching top and back wood would also match both sides of the headstock. He sends pics of the build to you throughout the process via FB and he will sign it if you want him to.

HighGain, also, I'm not sue if he made the cavity deeper, sorry.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, Jeff did say a slot opened up, but what he didn't say is that there is now a waiting list. I think it's up to 8 weeks now before he starts it but i could be wrong. So at least he's pacing himself.

If I remember correctly, Jeff announced on Facebook in March that he was going to start doing this. I believe he had showed off one that he had built and basically said, okay here's what I'm doing and what you can expect. He made it sound like you would contact and deal with him directly via FB. You'd choose whatever model and features you want. A KE would be $2000 on top of the base model's price (the model with no fact tops) and would include a 5 piece body and a 5 piece neck. The matching top and back wood would also match both sides of the headstock. He sends pics of the build to you throughout the process via FB and he will sign it if you want him to.

HighGain, also, I'm not sue if he made the cavity deeper, sorry.

Ha, there you go! Thanks for the extra info, I too am curious about potentially ordering one of these but now it's going to be a little bit as I still have some other stuff to cover. :lol: The clarification is appreciated though, I was curious if the $2K was base model + wood material and then added on top or if it was strictly the base model + $2K, so that's good to know. I keep going back and forth on what model I would order, leaning towards an HH2 since I REALLY want one but I feel like a Kiesel Edition wouldn't be justifiable (to me at least :rofl:) for what you would get out of it since there's no headstock and other than adding a maple back, there isn't any appreciable difference for me to add the $2K to that model. Yours came out great though, I'd love to try out on of the SCB models to see how I get along with it! :D

schecter_c7

Reaction score
Carvin has been putting out such great stuff lately. I've been wondering if they would do an ebony top on request. Congrats man!

Jason2112

I'm old school
Reaction score
That's a beautiful guitar for sure but I still can't wrap my head around the layered wood look on the SCB. I guess I'm just used to seeing drop tops and wrap finishes that this looks so foreign to me. HNGD!

Purelojik

Reaction score
that little maple veneer between the ebony and limba was something iw as gona try on my ebony build. seeing it now i def am gonna do it. it looks so classy.

but that signature doe....:squint:

Garnoch

Reaction score
Trying out some ebony and zebra wood knobs.....

15441454108_8a4bc936f0_h.jpg

15628421022_308596784a_h.jpg

15628423232_e119200e70_h.jpg

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score
I can't even begin to describe how jealous I am! That's fantastic! I'm tempted to get one myself with a few personal touches... Congratulations man, Jeff and the gang really hit a home run with this one!

dtp3347

Reaction score
Those upward facing outdoor pictures of this guy made me think of the obelisk from 2001 A Space Odyssey. Again amazing guitar...one of the few that every time I see pictures of it again I say "wow"

')