Carvin Experts: Lend me your knowledge before I jump in

7slinger

wake up dead
Contributor
Reaction score
so, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna dive in and order a Carvin...yet I've never even seen one :nuts:

I've done a ton of searching and the reviews are all pretty stellar, and there's a 10 day return period, so what the hey, right?

so I've got some questions that I haven't found answers for, I'm hoping some of you Carvin guys can provide some good info for me.

1. Finishes. If you order say a flame top with blackburst edges, is the back of the guitar just solid black then? All the pics on their site seem to just show the fronts of the guitars, and I can't tell what's goin on in the backyard. Similarly, cherryburst edges, does that leave you with a solid "cherry" color on the back, or is it a transparent cherry :scratch: ?

2. Neck carves. I've gathered in the reading I've done that these are not Ibby Wizard neck carves, but just how thick are they? Are they similar to any of the other major manufacturers? Can anybody compare/contrast for me?

3. Bridges. I want a Floyd, so I guess I'm stuck with the 14" radius. I don't think I've had a seven that "round" before (mostly Ibbys, an LTD, JP7)...anybody have any issues with the 14" radius?

4. SS frets. I've never played on a guitar with these, but people who get them seem to like them. What are the pros/cons? I'm considering maple/koa neck thru with alder wings/flame or quilt maple top and ebony board for my build, would SS just be brightness overkill?

5. Neck finishes...what do you have and what do you like about it?

I'll likely come up with more questions, just can't think of anymore right now. Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lefty robb

Shred like a mofo
Contributor
Reaction score
Well, I can tell you that I am a nut for Ibby necks and i'm super picky, I love da thin, and I had a Carvin DC127 and I loved that neck, it was a little rounder and just a mm or 2 thicker than a Wizard 2 it seemed, it was REALLY comfy and I miss it, killer neck, it was even painted, and I usually don't like painted necks, and it didn't bother me at all.

Wi77iam

Ibanez fanboi
Reaction score
Well, I've never played one so .. don't take my word for it :lol:
but Jeff off MG.ORG just got a Carvin 7 and they're all pretty tone savvy over at MG.ORG and there's a little discussion going on.

Carvin, take 3: Action!

NemesisTheory

Reaction score
I currently have half a dozen DC 727's so I might be biased!

1. Carvin automatically does the burst on the front, back of body, and they burst the neck. If you want the back to be a solid color, they will do that too but you'll have to ask. The red in the cherry burst is translucent over a translucent color. Here's an older auction link that will give you an idea:
http://cgi.ebay.com/CARVIN-DC-Gorge...QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item3efc18e5b5
You should also go to the Carvin board and check out the "show your backsides" thread to see the backs of people's guitars.

2. The necks are bigger than Ibanez, but most necks are. In my opinion, Carvin necks are:
Thicker than Ibanez, Smaller than Schecter, slightly wider but flatter than some ESP's, thicker but not as wide as custom Jacksons, right about the same as some custom shop BC Rich's. Apart from one custom BC Rich I've got, they are the most comfortable neck to me. I thought they'd be bigger than they are, but they're awesome.

3. No issues with the radius on mine. I'm not really picky about that. All I can say is they're very easy to play.

4. I have stainless steel frets on all my Carvins on rosewood, ebony, and maple. I don't detect any tonal differences that can't be attributed to the various woods I've got. To me though, the SS frets seem to play really smoothly. They also seem more quiet, but it could just be that Carvins are so exact and set up so well that that could be the reason for the lack of noise too. I haven't tried a Carvin without them because I've liked all of mine with them just fine.

Hope that helps. Carvins are the best bang for the buck on the market and more. I can tell you, I've spent more than twice as much on other customs as Carvins, and the Carvins play better and have better quality woods! Every one I've ordered has been 100% spot on to what I asked for. Only problem I ever had was that a color turned out darker than I wanted, but the guitar itself is superb.

Scott

7slinger

wake up dead
Contributor
Reaction score
Well, I can tell you that I am a nut for Ibby necks and i'm super picky, I love da thin, and I had a Carvin DC127 and I loved that neck, it was a little rounder and just a mm or 2 thicker than a Wizard 2 it seemed, it was REALLY comfy and I miss it, killer neck, it was even painted, and I usually don't like painted necks, and it didn't bother me at all.

thanks

Well, I've never played one so .. don't take my word for it :lol:
but Jeff off MG.ORG just got a Carvin 7 and they're all pretty tone savvy over at MG.ORG and there's a little discussion going on.

Carvin, take 3: Action!

hmmm...interesting thread, thanks a bunch for that. worrisome though, that his mahogany body/mahogany neck combo sounds like an icepick, makes me think perhaps my wood combo might sound like a focused beam of 20khz energy to the eardrum

lateralus819

Mr. legacy
Reaction score
The necks are great, I'm a huge ibanez whore and i love the neck on my carvin, they're different but it didn't take me any time to get used to it so i wouldn't let that bother you...

The SS frets are great, seems smoother i guess then nickel frets, i got them mainly cause they supposedly wear dear a lot less then nickel soo...

Bottom line, i would highly suggest getting one! :D i lub mine

7slinger

wake up dead
Contributor
Reaction score
I currently have half a dozen DC 727's so I might be biased!

1. Carvin automatically does the burst on the front, back of body, and they burst the neck. If you want the back to be a solid color, they will do that too but you'll have to ask. The red in the cherry burst is translucent over a translucent color. Here's an older auction link that will give you an idea:
http://cgi.ebay.com/CARVIN-DC-Gorge...QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item3efc18e5b5
You should also go to the Carvin board and check out the "show your backsides" thread to see the backs of people's guitars.

2. The necks are bigger than Ibanez, but most necks are. In my opinion, Carvin necks are:
Thicker than Ibanez, Smaller than Schecter, slightly wider but flatter than some ESP's, thicker but not as wide as custom Jacksons, right about the same as some custom shop BC Rich's. Apart from one custom BC Rich I've got, they are the most comfortable neck to me. I thought they'd be bigger than they are, but they're awesome.

3. No issues with the radius on mine. I'm not really picky about that. All I can say is they're very easy to play.

4. I have stainless steel frets on all my Carvins on rosewood, ebony, and maple. I don't detect any tonal differences that can't be attributed to the various woods I've got. To me though, the SS frets seem to play really smoothly. They also seem more quiet, but it could just be that Carvins are so exact and set up so well that that could be the reason for the lack of noise too. I haven't tried a Carvin without them because I've liked all of mine with them just fine.

Hope that helps. Carvins are the best bang for the buck on the market and more. I can tell you, I've spent more than twice as much on other customs as Carvins, and the Carvins play better and have better quality woods! Every one I've ordered has been 100% spot on to what I asked for. Only problem I ever had was that a color turned out darker than I wanted, but the guitar itself is superb.

Scott

cool great info...so blackburst edges, they look like solid black, am I wrong? is it transparent? and the example you gave of the cherryburst, where the edges are "cherry," they'll continue that color over the whole back if you ask? So translucent over translucent means the guitar is sprayed one translucent color, which would be the main color of the top I would think, and then the edges are sprayed another translucent color over the first, then clear over the whole deal? I think I'd prefer the back of the guitar and neck to be a consistent color, but I'd like something transparent, but I was also digging the blackburst edges...but, but, but

...btw I've checked out your blue one for sale numerous times, but blue just doesn't do it for me...the gold really isn't my thing either I guess, but it's gorgeous none the less, good luck with the sale

7slinger

wake up dead
Contributor
Reaction score
This post directly compares an Ibby UV neck, to that of a Carvin 7x7. (Note that Dave got a custom 20" radius board.)

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/1910031-post17.html

ya I saw that during my investigating, thanks. I'm pretty much dead set on a floyd, so the 20" option is a no-go for me it seems

edit: I'll just tack this onto this post, to avoid the triple post...I wonder if they could do rear of body and neck say transparent black, then a different transparent finish on the top, and then blackburst edges?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
ya I saw that during my investigating, thanks. I'm pretty much dead set on a floyd, so the 20" option is a no-go for me it seems

You might want to see if they'll do an option 50 on it. As there seems to be 20" radius nuts on the market, as well as the fact the saddles on the bridge can be shimmed to virtually any radius.

7slinger

wake up dead
Contributor
Reaction score
You might want to see if they'll do an option 50 on it. As there seems to be 20" radius nuts on the market, as well as the fact the saddles on the bridge can be shimmed to virtually any radius.

I was thinking about this, but I thought I read that they would not do it:scratch:

with my luck I'd get them to do it and then the 20" would be too flat:mad:

I seem to have the worst luck when it comes to toys, which reminds me, my xbox died today:wallbash:

lurgar

Reaction score
They won't do a floyd and 20in radius no matter what. There's just something about it that they won't mess with.

Interesting that the thread on MG called an all mahogany guitar ice-picky. My Ash 727 has actually been a bit dark in some instances. It's by no means nothing I can dial out, it just means sometimes I use the active eq to dial in a bit less bass and a bit more treble.

7slinger

wake up dead
Contributor
Reaction score

Scott

thanks for this, I checked out the thread...

I saw a pic of a guitar in there where it appears they left the sides (1/4") of the top wood unfinished, creating the "natural binding" appearance...is this something they'll do? I don't remember seeing it as an option. I have this look on my JC and I dig it, if they'd do that for me, perhaps I'll forgo burst edges altogether

NemesisTheory

Reaction score
Yeah, the blackburst edge is solid black. I'm sure they'd do the back solid black if you wanted. Carvin is one of the few companies that actually still does the burst on back without you asking for it. I like the back burst on most stuff so that's good for me. I've seen them do black backs before (its an option on the builder for the CT's and CS's). I've seen them do stained tops, and natural un-stained backs too. If its something simple, they usually don't have a problem with it. They'll do custom colors as well, depending on what you want, and how busy they are. One other thing you can do is specify how much black burst you want on it, minimal, med, or a lot. You can say if you want it to be a gradual or sharper fade between the black and main color too. Also consider if you want the neck painted or left natural! I've never talked to a sales rep who wasn't really knowledgeable, so they can help you nail it down. Some options may be an upcharge. If you want them to match a picture or a certain wood pattern, it usually is extra.

NemesisTheory

Reaction score
They offer the natural binding on the CT's, CS's, and ST300's and I think some others. It really can't be done right on the rounded edges of a 727/747. However, you can now get non-rounded edges. I examined one of mine that has n/r edges and I almost think it could be done, but near the arm contour on the butt, it wouldn't work since there's less top there. I don't know if they could eliminate that contour but kinda doubt they'd do it. I was going to ask about this next time I talk to someone.

One other solution is to have em build it with an option where you have your top, then a thin layer of light wood, then a darker back to simulate the binding look. Someone here recently got a denim 727 that has the top stained, then a dark layer, then lighter back. Maybe someone has the pic. Looked great.

thanks for this, I checked out the thread...

I saw a pic of a guitar in there where it appears they left the sides (1/4") of the top wood unfinished, creating the "natural binding" appearance...is this something they'll do? I don't remember seeing it as an option. I have this look on my JC and I dig it, if they'd do that for me, perhaps I'll forgo burst edges altogether

elq

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
They offer the natural binding on the CT's, CS's, and ST300's... I almost think it could be done, but near the arm contour on the butt, it wouldn't work since there's less top there

One other solution is to have em build it with an option where you have your top, then a thin layer of light wood, then a darker back to simulate the binding look. Someone here recently got a denim 727 that has the top stained, then a dark layer, then lighter back. Maybe someone has the pic. Looked great.

My ST300 with the flamed Koa top has the natural binding option because I didn't want the edges rounded at all. The picture sucks, but I think you can tell that it has an arm contour and the natural binding will follow the contour.

IMG_0012.jpg

Re: the denim 727, that's mine -

P1000037.JPG

funkygmacman

Sexy Bald Man
Reaction score
I've never had Carvin 7 string, but I own two DC135's and love them. The option Carvin offers that makes me turn to them first is the tung oil finish on the back of the neck. I LOVE the feel of it. As far as the blackburst goes, they offer a couple options...if you configure one on their web site you'll see it on your way through the process. Also, if there's something that you want that you don't see...call them and ask. I called them about the possibility of getting a 7 string with active electronics and toggle switches like the DC135 instead of a 3 way switch, and they told me yes, even though it's not an option you can select on the web site. They make really excellent guitars.

7slinger

wake up dead
Contributor
Reaction score
They offer the natural binding on the CT's, CS's, and ST300's and I think some others. It really can't be done right on the rounded edges of a 727/747. However, you can now get non-rounded edges. I examined one of mine that has n/r edges and I almost think it could be done, but near the arm contour on the butt, it wouldn't work since there's less top there. I don't know if they could eliminate that contour but kinda doubt they'd do it. I was going to ask about this next time I talk to someone.

so is that a layer through the whole guitar? I think I'm going with non-rounded edges if I order. thanks for the info on the blackburst, cause I definitely see in some pics where it's more pronounced than others. though I did configure a build on their website and don't recall seeing any additional options pop up, maybe I just don't remember, I'll try again later today

My ST300 with the flamed Koa top has the natural binding option because I didn't want the edges rounded at all. The picture sucks, but I think you can tell that it has an arm contour and the natural binding will follow the contour.

IMG_0012.jpg

Re: the denim 727, that's mine -

P1000037.JPG

I can't really see the binding option on the ST in that pic, but thanks for posting. you must really love that guitar, having a leopard guard it and all :wavey: just kidding man I love cats, mine never got bigger than 7 lbs when she was alive, so the big boys always make me chuckle some and think of my little gal

the 727 looks really cool...what kind of wood is the layer?

funkygmacman

Sexy Bald Man
Reaction score
so is that a layer through the whole guitar? I think I'm going with non-rounded edges if I order. thanks for the info on the blackburst, cause I definitely see in some pics where it's more pronounced than others. though I did configure a build on their website and don't recall seeing any additional options pop up, maybe I just don't remember, I'll try again later today

Whoops, my bad man. I wasn't totally making it up, but it's not an option on the seven strings. If you configure an ST300, you'll see the options for the back I was referring to.

zerohawk

Reaction score
I don't really have any technical knowledge of the Carvins but I did get a chance to check out one of their shops when I was visiting my friend in Cali. I played a couple 7's and man they were great! They were very high quality and sounded great. Can't really say the same for the V3 amp though, sounded pretty bland to me. Anyway, good luck.

')