Carvin Experts: Lend me your knowledge before I jump in

HaloHat

Baritones
Reaction score
Seattle WA. & Richfield, UT. & Valencia, Spain
I am not anti SS frets. However I respectfully disagree on if they change the tone or not. I feel they do. Not in a bad way. I just feel they do sound different. Do the people that think they don't also think the "nut" material does not make a difference? Because unless you are playing an open string or fretless guitar or using a slide [made of many different materials because they sound different yes?] The frets ARE the nut if you are fretting a string. Again I am not saying SS frets are bad, I have had both and think they are great too if they fit with what I am going for. And of course all the other factors matter too right down to the pick you use/amp/strings/woods.

With the Carvin you have lots of options that can balance with the other choices. If I could only have one or the other I would choose NON stainless to be honest but I can certainly see how that does not work best for everyone. Nice to have a choice for sure.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Edroz

new album soon!
Reaction score
so the spacing on the trem carvin uses has wider or narrower string spacing?

thanks for info. so you've never had any problems with pickups physically fitting in the routes?

the trem thing still gets me...what is "Ping?" is this the company that makes the trem carvin uses? it was mentioned above and I was wondering.

ya the return period does make it much more enticing. in fact, if they didn't have the return period, I don't think I'd be considering a Carvin at all.

the Carvin trem has narrower string spacing.

the only pickups that will fit in a DC727/ 747 without major routing work are Dimarzios after you after you shave off about 1/8" off each side of the pickup baseplate. if you want Duncans, BKPs, etc., you can't modify the pickup without damaging it to fit. opening up the narrow cavities is the only thing you can do.

Ping makes some licensed floyds among other things. i've never heard anything about them making Carvins trems though. don't know.

Reaction score
I'm hours from ordering a half-elite denim. I don't want a super bright guitar though. I'm thinking koa neck, I want a lighter colored wood for the body, is swamp ash super bright? What woods should I look at?

kherman

Reaction score
I'm hours from ordering a half-elite denim. I don't want a super bright guitar though. I'm thinking koa neck, I want a lighter colored wood for the body, is swamp ash super bright? What woods should I look at?

Koa is similar to mahogany in tone.
And since that's going to be the main wood your pickups are sitting in, you should be fine.
Ash is considered a medium tone wood along with alder and poplar.

ykcirj

Reaction score
I'm also ordering a carvin this week! I think I'm going with an all mahogany guitar with Claro Walnut top. S.S. frets And emerald green stain/ or greenburt finish. I hope it comes out ok. I hope the walnut won't make it overly bright. I want really tight lows and balanced mids and Highs.

')