Carvin Vader

• Thread starter jc986
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

insaneshawnlane

Reaction score
Damn. In that case, I'm sure fully-spec'd I'm gonna be North of $2.3k.

It's gonna be worth it though.

Although, this will be the first time I'll have a chance to actually play the thing before I buy it. I bet at their NAMM booth they're gonna have both chambered and solid body options. Definitely going for chambered... Definitely maybe. Hopefully it won't add too much to the cost. SS frets & other options + fancy top + chambering = probably pretty pricey.

"Chambering is $150"
- Chris H

Not bad if you ask me!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ferret

Reaction score
Per Mike Jones on CarvinBBS:

The neck cap (What would be the technical term?) used for the Vader is a custom designed end piece by Mark and Jeff, being manufactures by Hipshot. So it's a Hipshot Bridge with a custom Hipshot end piece.

The 6-string in the photos has a J-Custom end piece because the 6-string version from Hipshot was not in stock yet.

hardvalve

Reaction score
Per Mike Jones on CarvinBBS:

The neck cap (What would be the technical term?) used for the Vader is a custom designed end piece by Mark and Jeff, being manufactures by Hipshot. So it's a Hipshot Bridge with a custom Hipshot end piece.

The 6-string in the photos has a J-Custom end piece because the 6-string version from Hipshot was not in stock yet.

I was wondering about that.

cubix

Spring of 86
Reaction score
Yeah I don't feel the bridge at all and the edges don't look that comfortable... They seem too high in respect to the actual saddles. The J-Custom bridge on the HH models looks much much better and I'm pretty sure it would feel better aswell. Anyway the 27" for the 6 string is a showstopper for me so not really interested anymore... bummer :(

teamSKDM

Reaction score
Im thinking itll be tge same price as an hh2, because if my memory serves me right i believe the headless hardware from hipshot ia actually slightly cheaper than the bridges from the hh2, maybe theyre the same price i cant remember. Ill look it up when im home

Ok i was kinda right. The hipshot is cheaper than the j custom tremolo but the j custom hardtail is cheaper than the hipshot headless

hardvalve

Reaction score
Hipshot makes really high quality stuff. Not sure the edges will be as pronounced as it appears. I will find out....

celticelk

Reaction score
I find it interesting, but unsurprising, that quite a few people are questioning the playability of a bridge that they have not only never played, but never *seen in person*.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
I guess we're not allowed to have an opinion until we buy one.

Shame I can't put to use this experience with other bridges that have similar characteristics and looks, and thus make an educated guess as to what the bridge might feel like under the palm. Oh well.

celticelk

Reaction score
I guess we're not allowed to have an opinion until we buy one.

Shame I can't put to use this experience with other bridges that have similar characteristics and looks, and thus make an educated guess as to what the bridge might feel like under the palm. Oh well.

You're talking about your previous comment about the Gibraltar, yes? What's your basis for thinking they might actually have similar flaws? I couldn't quite parse it from your comment, except something about them both having edges, and maybe saddles.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
You're talking about your previous comment about the Gibraltar, yes? What's your basis for thinking they might actually have similar flaws? I couldn't quite parse it from your comment, except something about them both having edges, and maybe saddles.

The edges of the bridge are what I'm talking about, having played bridges like the Gibraltar, and American strats that have very squared-off saddle edges which dig into my palm when I try to palm mute.

This picture:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5864881/vader1.jpg

looks like the bridge has both a very squared-off lip around the saddles that would dig into the palm, as well as the raised-edge/shoulders/whatever you call it, around the saddles (like the Gibraltar).

I can't recall ever having played an ashtray-bridge tele, which it probably bares the closest resemblance.

I don't think I would call them 'flaws,' more like 'design choices' that I don't think are the best.

Something like that wouldn't stop me from buying one if I get the chance though, as it wouldn't be too hard to remedy the potential issues with an angle grinder, or some elbow grease and a metal file.

sartorious

a good lurking guy
Reaction score
This answers a recurrent question:
"Interview with Mark and Jeff Kiesel as they break the BIG and EXCITING news announcing the Kiesel Guitars name and branching the guitar division off as it's own company."

Chokey Chicken

mouth breather
Reaction score
So they're just re-branding back to what they used to be called? Nothing wrong with that, I reckon.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
That seemed clear as mud? I guess I was only half paying attention, but it sounded like Carvin is staying the same, there will be some Kiesel editions, but it's still unclear to me what custom orders would be "Kiesel" vs. not.

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
Welcome to Carvin Kiesel Carvin guitars, the company where everything is made up and the names don't matter.

whose-line-is-it-anyway-rap-o.gif

Chokey Chicken

mouth breather
Reaction score
I only saw the first few minutes but it sounds like they were once called kiesel, had to change the name to carvin to avoid legal stuff, and are now going back to kiesel.

If I understand correctly, carvin will be the name on amps and such, and kiesel will be the name on the guitars.

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
I only saw the first few minutes but it sounds like they were once called kiesel, had to change the name to carvin to avoid legal stuff, and are now going back to kiesel.

If I understand correctly, carvin will be the name on amps and such, and kiesel will be the name on the guitars.

Some of the guitars will still be branded Carvin though (I'm guessing all the older models?). I think that's what is confusing people.

')