Carvin Vader

• Thread starter jc986
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
I don't know if it's already been mentioned (and there's no way I'm searching 26 pages :lol:), but in one of the video interviews Jeff mentioned that all the Vaders will have the carbon-fiber reinforcement rods in the neck.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't know if it's already been mentioned (and there's no way I'm searching 26 pages :lol:), but in one of the video interviews Jeff mentioned that all the Vaders will have the carbon-fiber reinforcement rods in the neck.

Unless they made a change, I'm pretty sure Carvin had been doing that for years. They just made a point of calling it out in the video. :lol: I don't think that's something "new" per se.

ferret

Reaction score
For any 27" neck they have the reinforcement, yes.

sartorious

a good lurking guy
Reaction score
So, would there be any additional benefit to having a 5-piece neck on a 27" scale? Or does that become redundant with carbon fiber reinforcement?

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score

Unless they made a change, I'm pretty sure Carvin had been doing that for years. They just made a point of calling it out in the video. :lol: I don't think that's something "new" per se.

For any 27" neck they have the reinforcement, yes.

Not even just for 27" scale though, they've always had reinforcement rods. Here's a screen grab of the catalog from 1995 where they did dual steel reinforcement rods in the necks:

95_guitarcustomshop-large.jpg

Later on they changed to carbon fiber reinforcement rods:

04_customshop-large.jpg

Unless they did away with them over the last 10 years and just decided to start using them again, it's not new for Carvin and AFAIK they've been doing it that way for quite some time now. :agreed:

So, would there be any additional benefit to having a 5-piece neck on a 27" scale? Or does that become redundant with carbon fiber reinforcement?

Aesthetics I guess? ;) As far as stability adding the extra wood is never a bad thing for stability as long as all the wood is seasoned properly, although properly seasoned neck blanks would likely be fine without anything but the graphite reinforcement rods in there. :yesway:

stevo1

ClearTrack Studios
Reaction score
Ok, confirmed with Chris that they can't do oil finishes on these. Probably going to go with KR green.

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score

Hmm, I had no idea. You'd think they'd advertise it more. It's a really nice feature. They don't even have it on the current website.

HaloHat

Baritones
Reaction score
Seattle WA. & Richfield, UT. & Valencia, Spain
Actually some of the models had the reinforcement rod removed, at least for a while. I remember it being discussed at the Carvin forum some time ago. I do not recall for sure which models, I think possibly the DC127/135/145 etc though as I said I am not sure which models in total or if they are still without the reinforcement rods today.

I'm sure you can get your oil top but then it sounds like you would have to go with the Kiesel "Edition" model and its higher price. KRG sounds good ha. I guess the Kiesel's are all decal logos at this time? Carvin has the metal logos in gold and soon in silver. They have mentioned real inlaid MOP logos soon as well.

I'm sure its just me but I kind of feel decal logos look tacky on otherwise custom guitars.

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
Hmm, I had no idea. You'd think they'd advertise it more. It's a really nice feature. They don't even have it on the current website.

They did get rid of it for a few years (I wanna say mid 2000s), and now its only on the 27" scale guitars and basses. I know cause I made sure to ask about it in the ST300, CT624 and DC727 when I was deciding which to get, but it was not available in any of those (2013-2014) even as an opt 50. They claim their necks are stable enough without them and they only use it with longer scale guitars for that extra bit but obviously I'd feel safer with them. Probably why I'd get the 27" vader over 25.5"

Chokey Chicken

mouth breather
Reaction score
Just got done placing my pre-order too. Prices are flippin' legit for what you get. My stupid ass is so impatient, but I'm stoked to know it'll be on it's way in the nearish future. Mine was relatively stock save for a couple things.

As it were, it will be 7 strings, have a burl top with night burst finish, stainless jumbo frets, ebony fret board with no top inlays. It was right around $1700 in the end. Not too shabby for something made in the USA with a spiffy top, stainless frets, and the fact that it's a headless. Super stoked to own my first Carvin/Kiesel, and these next few months can't pass quick enough.

metalstrike

I love signature guitars!
Reaction score
God, I wish Carvin offered Rosewood necks, I'd order one on a Vader today. That will probably never happen though so I'll have to order one soon anyway!

Jake

GAS Master
Reaction score

ferret

Reaction score
Kielse%20V6_zps9gauofl8.jpg

Extra 1-2 weeks of build time because 25.5" scale is still being programmed into the CNC. Important note for anyone interested: Candy Tangerine is a metallic opt50 color but does NOT void the 10-day return. It carries a $200 restocking fee however.

MetalThrasher

Thrash & Burn
Reaction score
I'll be ordering one soon! I think mine is going to be a barebones depending on price with options. I'm thinking either an orange with white edges or black limba body. Def going for the 25.5 scale. Anyone hear about the new pickup options? I heard that the new Kiesel pickups come in regular and high output. I wanna try the high output version!

HaloHat

Baritones
Reaction score
Seattle WA. & Richfield, UT. & Valencia, Spain
God, I wish Carvin offered Rosewood necks, I'd order one on a Vader today. That will probably never happen though so I'll have to order one soon anyway!

You can use their "Customer Provided Wood" option and send them the rosewood for your neck. ChrisH. here at the forum can assist you I'm sure.

My two DC7X's, one with a Wenge/Limba neck and one with a Bloodwood neck were both done by Carvin salesperson Steve Schisler [schisler@Carvin.com] and went totally smooth. He works with special requests really well.

It does make the guitar "non-returnable" and other conditions apply but if you want a Rosewood neck Vader it probably can be done. If you need a good wood broker contact, PM me and I'll give you the info on a really good place for guitar wood...

I'm hoping for a trem version V7 but I will order a non-trem V7 anyways if it looks like the trem version is not going to happen. 27" scale for me.

JustFlipACoin

Reaction score
So with Tung-Oil not being an option, does anyone here have any experience with their clear satin finish? I'm not too keen on gloss finishes.

decreebass

Business Secrets of the Pharoahs
Reaction score
So with Tung-Oil not being an option, does anyone here have any experience with their clear satin finish? I'm not too keen on gloss finishes.

It looks good, but it will start to shine in high traffic areas (like any satin finish). When they agreed to re-finish my pink DC800 I requested the gloss finish since originally it had been satin; the glossy areas started to grate on me a little so I figured if I get it gloss to start out with, I cut out the middle man.

stevo1

ClearTrack Studios
Reaction score

I have experience with their older style of satin finishes. They updated the process a few months ago, and the satin finishes are way thinner. The old process made the satin finishes thicker than the gloss finishes for some reason..

This is all info I got from Chris H. Though!
They seem pretty durable too. The finish I have doesn't really show any glossing yet, and I play mine daily. But it is the older style satin, so keep that in mind.

')