Carvin Vader

• Thread starter jc986
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Cloudy

Pacific Wood Lab
Reaction score
UPS has a heafty brokerage fee, Fedex and USPS are a bit more merciful.

Living in Canada sucks sometimes. Damn you GAS.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
I love how originally the prime complaint from international buyers was that Carvin wouldn't sell direct to Europe/Asia at the same pricepoint we get in the USA and the dealers/carvin international site charged too much. Now the prices are made identical to what we pay finally, but the taxes and shipping are too high? :lol: I mean, I feel your pain and all as I think VAT is nonsense honestly, but unless the international dealers were not making you pay VAT on orders before, I would think you are getting a much better deal now that they're offering to give you identical prices to what US customers pay (minus the VAT/your county's own taxation), right? :scratch: I doubt it's much different than most other manufacturers where you got stuck eating VAT on those too. :2c:

Chokey Chicken

mouth breather
Reaction score
Yeah, taxes suck, but at least it sucks less than indirectly paying it plus the up charge for a dealer to make profit. I haven't really seen anyone complain about it like the KM7's though. That was irritating to listen to. lol

Enselmis

Reaction score
It's not fun, but worth it for a Carvin. I ended up paying $120 for Cdn shipping, and $480 for customs/taxes last year. Now apparently they've just changed to FedEx so it's slightly better for Canadians, but we've been screwed lately with UPS as their only option.

As of a week ago, they still use UPS for Canada. I recommend brokering it yourself. I paid maybe half of what it would have cost if they had done it for me. It's super easy.

Cloudy

Pacific Wood Lab
Reaction score
As of a week ago, they still use UPS for Canada. I recommend brokering it yourself. I paid maybe half of what it would have cost if they had done it for me. It's super easy.

Chris confirmed they're now using fedex. Must be a really recent change :yesway:

RPG_Guitars

Reaction score
Chambered swamp ash body, Burled maple top with deep triple stained translucent moss green top back & sides, 5 piece walnut mahogany neck, tung oil finish on the neck, jumbo SS frets, rosewood knobs, gold Kiesel drop shadow logo. Playing to win!!!!

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
I love how originally the prime complaint from international buyers was that Carvin wouldn't sell direct to Europe/Asia at the same pricepoint we get in the USA and the dealers/carvin international site charged too much. Now the prices are made identical to what we pay finally, but the taxes and shipping are too high? :lol:

I'm all for the VAT (that's why we have social security while you have 10% of your population on food tickets) but I have shipped enough guitars to and from the USA to know that this is a grossly inflated shipping price, especially considering as a company they get rebates and stuff. Correct pricing for a guitar in its case with insurance is 120ish$ for a private individual without access to any bulk prices.

sartorious

a good lurking guy
Reaction score
I'm all for the VAT (that's why we have social security while you have 10% of your population on food tickets)

I'm sure you find your socioeconomic analysis brilliant and ethical. But please keep it off this thread.

Correct pricing for a guitar in its case with insurance is 120ish$ for a private individual without access to any bulk prices.

"Correct"? Perhaps it is what you would like, or perhaps it is a more accurate price with no profit or cushion. Correctness has nothing to do with it.

Chokey Chicken

mouth breather
Reaction score
Now if only they would use FedEx for US orders... :ugh: :flame: :lol:

Do they use ups? I must be the only person who prefers that. FedEx blows in my experience. Lost packages, damaged packages and they show up between 4 and 8 pm whereas ups shows up reliably at noon and our driver is super friendly and courteous with the packages.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
Do they use ups? I must be the only person who prefers that. FedEx blows in my experience. Lost packages, damaged packages and they show up between 4 and 8 pm whereas ups shows up reliably at noon and our driver is super friendly and courteous with the packages.

Unless they changed everyone over to FedEx in the last week, they were still using UPS as of February when my DC800 shipped. It varies state to state, but in my experience both in Pennsylvania and in Virginia, UPS sucked total balls (lost packages, broken gear, signature-required packages worth $10K left sitting out at my doorstep without signature for 6 hours in the middle of the day... :wallbash:) whereas FedEx I've only had a single problem in 15+ YEARS of voluminous package shipping/receiving. YMMV and all, but UPS has sucked for me and typically even on coast-to-coast shipping, FedEx gets the packages here earlier. :2c: My UPS drivers in this area either show up at noon or 8-9pm (I kid you not) which is pretty ridiculous, and when deliveries are supposed to happen by COB, 8pm NGD's or release-day game deliveries are not something I'm thrilled about. :shrug:

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm all for the VAT (that's why we have social security while you have 10% of your population on food tickets) but I have shipped enough guitars to and from the USA to know that this is a grossly inflated shipping price, especially considering as a company they get rebates and stuff. Correct pricing for a guitar in its case with insurance is 120ish$ for a private individual without access to any bulk prices.

Not relevant, this isn't P&CE. If you have an issue with what they charge for shipping, by all means band together and tell them you won't stand for it. :shrug: I know how much it costs to ship a guitar internationally, but I'm also a private seller, not a corporation. My guess is part of that is because they have a shipping department they have to pay to get your boxes packed and shipped and those guys likely don't work for free...

MetalBuddah

0000 00 0 0 00 000
Reaction score
Ordered one about 2 weeks ago and these are my specs...

-V7
-Swamp Ash Body
-Maple Neck
-27" Scale
-Maple Top
-Clear Satin Matte Finish
-Seafoam Green (Top Only)
-Rear Body/Neck Natural Clear
-Zebrawood Fretboard
-No Top Inlays
-Stainless Steel Jumbo Frets
-White Pickups
White Logo
-Dunlop Straplocks

Grand total of $1,544. Not bad at all for these specs :) The anticipation is killing me. This is my first Carvin ever.

Basically this but with a clear back!
v7-sg-cs-ash-mt-zwf-stf-r14-nin-5ml-wl-sl-404-cmb-125086_gallery.jpg

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
^That should be rather tasty! I'm digging my DC800 quite a bit, depending on whether or not I love the Vader 6, I might end up with a Vader 8 eventually too! :D

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just a heads up, this thread is about the new Vader model. If you want to complain about shipping costs or taxes in your country take it somewhere else please. I believe there are already several threads to complain about Carvin shipping costs.

TheUnvanquished

Reaction score
I plan on specing out a vader like the one pictured above as well. My only difference would be a black logo, black pickups, and a satin SURF green body (paint all over), instead of that seafoam green. Yup. I've got it all planned out. Just short a grand and a half or so of dough. Bummer. :(

Chokey Chicken

mouth breather
Reaction score
Unless they changed everyone over to FedEx in the last week, they were still using UPS as of February when my DC800 shipped. It varies state to state, but in my experience both in Pennsylvania and in Virginia, UPS sucked total balls (lost packages, broken gear, signature-required packages worth $10K left sitting out at my doorstep without signature for 6 hours in the middle of the day... :wallbash:) whereas FedEx I've only had a single problem in 15+ YEARS of voluminous package shipping/receiving. YMMV and all, but UPS has sucked for me and typically even on coast-to-coast shipping, FedEx gets the packages here earlier. :2c: My UPS drivers in this area either show up at noon or 8-9pm (I kid you not) which is pretty ridiculous, and when deliveries are supposed to happen by COB, 8pm NGD's or release-day game deliveries are not something I'm thrilled about. :shrug:

Gotcha. I guess my UPS guy is just one of the swell ones. I wonder how many douches fondle my packages before it gets to RI. I've had similar experiences with fedex (albeit cheaper packages), but I won't go into it. One way or another, I'll have my hands on the stupid thing hopefully sometime this week. Been checking my e-mails far too frequently, especially if you consider that it's not guaranteed I'll even get an e-mail telling me it's shipped.

Chokey Chicken

mouth breather
Reaction score
They have a tiny little bit extra scooped out from between the bottom strap buttons. (so as to move the bridge forward a tad) Otherwise I'm pretty sure they're identical.

edit: This is one of the 25 inch scale ones.

10344220_1548637492086214_2825263497607026343_o.jpg

spudmunkey

Reaction score
I think Jeff, in something either on Facebook or Instagram, made a point of mentioning that the bodies of the 25 and 27 are the same. Rather than re-shaping the body and changing it's proportions for the different scale, they just moved the bridge in.

')