Carvin Vader

• Thread starter jc986
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Guamskyy

Hwat you call me?
Reaction score
^That's one day under 6 weeks (or 6 weeks assuming he said that yesterday). That sounds very ambitious to me, but I've never ordered a Carvin before either...

It was said yesterday, and I placed my order about 2 weeks ago. Chris said that their ETA emails haven't been working lately, so if the ETAs are given alongside when your order is invoiced, that means mine is an 8 week build time and to me that is still excellent and fast as hell.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JDTLH9

Reaction score
My new V7 appeared on the FB page today.
The top looks amazing! :hbang:

uc

Full NGD will get posted when I receive her :D

I have posted a short unboxing video of this V7 here if anyone is interested :)

JDTLH9

Reaction score
Hey guys-

Working on a spec'ing out a V7 right now and have been in contact with Keith at Kiesel. Almost settled on my options, but I figured I'd reach out to see if anyone else has any cool ideas that I haven't thought of for this. The specs:

-V7 7 STR VADER HEADLESS
-MAH CLEAR MAPLE NECK/MAHOGANY
-FDB DEEP BLUE OVER FLAME
-CMB CHAMBERED BODY
-CS CLEAR SATIN MATTE FINISH
-BBEB BODY BINDING EFFECT on BEV
-RNC REAR BODY/NECK NATURAL CLE
-RTF RAW TONE ULTRA-THIN SATIN

-255 25.5" Scale Option
-TN TUNG OIL FINISH BACK OF NE
-FMF FLAMED MAPLE FINGERBOARD
-NIN NO TOP INLAYS-SIDE DOTS ON
-SDL LUMINLAY SIDE DOTS
-STJF STAINLESS STEEL JUMBO FRET

-405 PICKUP CREME/BLACK

-DSLB DROP SHADOW LOGO BLACK

Pretty set on everything here other than the finish and the fretboard options. For the fretboard, I'm going back and forth between flamed maple and ebony. I like the idea of flamed maple a BIT more, but the luminlays would void the return period and be hard to see when not glowing. Ebony solves both problems, but isn't quite as pretty as flamed maple :)

As for finish, here are my dilemmas:

-Deep Blue Stain over Flamed Maple- Leaning towards this, but I want to talk to Kiesel again to make sure it's going to be dark enough in shade for me
- Blue Cali Burst - I like most of the cali bursts I've seen, but all of the blues I've seen look very light blue
-Faded Blue Denim - Almost every picture I've seen of this finish is stunning

I figured I'd turn to the think-tank that is SSO for some input here on those particular issues. Also, if anyone has any other thoughts on this build or suggestions, I'm all ears! I'm new to the Carvin/Kiesel game, s some of you guys more familiar with the Opt 50s might have some ideas that I'm not even aware are options, so let's hear them!

I would consider going 27" on the 7 string. The extra 1.5" is barely noticeable across the whole scale and overall the tension and feel is much better than my 25.5" 7 string guitar. I tune my 27" V7 to standard with 9.5 gauge strings and the tension feels identical to 10's on a regular scale 6 string guitar. Something to consider :)

Dram Horst

Reaction score
I would consider going 27" on the 7 string. The extra 1.5" is barely noticeable across the whole scale and overall the tension and feel is much better than my 25.5" 7 string guitar. I tune my 27" V7 to standard with 9.5 gauge strings and the tension feels identical to 10's on a regular scale 6 string guitar. Something to consider :)

I've definitely thought about it! The longer scale on the lower strings is a main reason I was originally leaning toward the Boden OS. The longer scale across the board makes some of lead and chordal stuff I do just uncomfortable enough to be noticeable, so having a slight fan does help. I'll eventually add the Boden to the arsenal, but hopefully they'll add more pickup options at some point.

Still haven't ordered the Vader as I'm still undecided on the finish. The extreme doctoring of the photos they put online makes it REALLY hard to guage things.

Reaction score
Okay, we've got a few providers out so we don't have a bunch of patients today which has given me a little bit of time to post a few pics of my Vader. Not enough time for a full on NGD thread, but I can at least show her off. She's all Koa except for the fret board and knobs.

Attachments

• IMG_20150628_122737_560.jpg
    IMG_20150628_122737_560.jpg
    745.2 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_20150628_122902_443.jpg
    IMG_20150628_122902_443.jpg
    1,016.8 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_20150703_152427_562.jpg
    IMG_20150703_152427_562.jpg
    938.3 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_20150703_152547_186.jpg
    IMG_20150703_152547_186.jpg
    600.9 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_20150703_152705_634.jpg
    IMG_20150703_152705_634.jpg
    615.5 KB · Views: 99

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Okay, we've got a few providers out so we don't have a bunch of patients today which has given me a little bit of time to post a few pics of my Vader. Not enough time for a full on NGD thread, but I can at least show her off. She's all Koa except for the fret board and knobs.

Really digging the minimalist vibe, another gorgeous Vader that's a bit different. :cheers:

Quitty

Hates 'mojo'
Reaction score
Joining the bandwagon;
All-antique ash V7 with a maple neck and ebony board.

Anyone here used BKP Rebel-Yells? Can you compare them with the Lithiums?

bonga

Reaction score
What's the take on alder with maple top versus alder with walnut top. Will the walnut top significantly impact the tone? Especially with a chambered vader?

BouhZik

Reaction score
Hey Guys! You are making me gas so hard for a vader with all those pics... How much do they charge for the one pickup/one knob option? Thanks!!

BouhZik

Reaction score
got my answer: $100 for one pickup and one knob, making the guitar nonrefundable.

(sorry for the double-post. I can't edit the previous one anymore)

gpbarnett

Reaction score
Had Jeff Kiesel build me a V7, it only came with one fret!:nuts: (the zero fret). Think I should ask for a refund for the missing frets? :lol:

Attachments

• A1-kiesel-edition-vader-front-PL0A1389.jpg
    A1-kiesel-edition-vader-front-PL0A1389.jpg
    287.3 KB · Views: 165
  • A2-kiesel-edition-vader-back-PL0A1416.jpg
    A2-kiesel-edition-vader-back-PL0A1416.jpg
    358.2 KB · Views: 93

feraledge

Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?
Reaction score
Vader owners, with the smaller body and no headstock, will a Vader still fit on a 5 guitar rack like this?
61dhCumklzL._SY355_.jpg

russmuller

Cramblin'
Reaction score
Had Jeff Kiesel build me a V7, it only came with one fret!:nuts: (the zero fret). Think I should ask for a refund for the missing frets? :lol:

This guitar is really something special. The only fretless instrument I ever played was a bass, but Ron Thal and Tom Monda pull off some really cool stuff on Vigier Surfreters. I hope you post a video for us to hear it! :agreed:

')