Carvin vs Agile

• Thread starter linguos
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

linguos

Reaction score
How much nicer is a Carvin 8 string than the highest end Agile 8 string?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jaretthale78

7 stringed playa
Reaction score
i seriously saw this thread and lold, carvin with a doubt is going to outperform an agile in every way, but i will say that agile 8s are a pretty good guitar.

im not going to list everything, but a neck thru 8 with a trem for under 1000, you cant go wrong.

fabriarockz

Lefty! What the Fur?
Reaction score
hello there,
whatever brand you'll end up choosing, I just would like to point out that:

Neck-Thru = Expensive Guitar Construction = True
Bolt-on = Cheaper Guitar Construction = Cheaper Sonic End-Results = WRONG!!

In fact, especially in metal, neck-thrus doesn't appeal to everybody, 'cause it definitely doesn't offer some sonic features that bolt-ons do, and viceversa.

Cheers

Last edited:

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So much nicer is the Carvin that an Agile would feel like a toy in comparison. In fact, there is no comparison.

I've owned several of both.

yuureikun

Reaction score
I own both a Carvin DC727 (and have a DC800 on the way) and an Agile Interceptor 828.

The Agile is a fantastic guitar. If you are looking for a lot of options as far as the scale length of the instrument, as well as having a choice between active or passive pickups, and whether you want a fixed bridge or tremolo, then Agile's are a wonderful choice.

However, the Carvin I own is absolutely stunning as far as build quality, fretwork, and completely out performs the Agile in every way. Which it really should since it is a high quality American made instrument rather than a Korean made budget instrument. Also, you can not beat Carvin's figured maple tops in terms of quality. Agile uses paper thin veneer that just can not compare to a real AAAA quilted or flamed maple top like Carvin uses.

Both guitars are great, but if you are looking for better quality, Carvin is the right choice.

Zonk Knuckle

Contributor
Reaction score
So much nicer is the Carvin that an Agile would feel like a toy in comparison. In fact, there is no comparison.

I've owned several of both.

This is exactly what I said in a different thread. Some people seem to disagree, but I assume it's just lack of experience on their part.

Splinterhead

Sojourner
Contributor
Reaction score
I have to agree. I own 2 DC747c's and an Agile Pendulum Pro. The fit and finish is better on the Carvins. The quality of parts and care in construction is also a step or two up. The Agile's are still very good guitars but the Carvin's, I feel are excellent. That said I wish that Carvin would go multiscale but beggars can't be choosers in the 8 string world.

linguos

Reaction score
Quality is my biggest concern. I've grown to want something much superior than my Schecter Elite 007 which in another thread I was told is similar in quality to an Agile. On the other hand I want multiscaling.

The quote on the Carvin I want is $1,800, are there any nicer 8 strings in or around that price range?

Thanks for the advice!

Zonk Knuckle

Contributor
Reaction score
The quote on the Carvin I want is $1,800, are there any nicer 8 strings in or around that price range?

Most likely not. If quality is your biggest concern, you won't be able to do better than Carvin without having to spend at least double that amount, maybe triple+, for a real custom from a good luthier.

Ben.Last

Formerly Lern2Swim
Reaction score

You could probably get a Strictly 7+1 around that price. Also, Acacia guitars should be able to get you something around there.(I'll be able to speak more about their quality soon :hbang:) In both those instances though, you'd probably be looking at something a bit more bare-bones, aesthetically, than what that price would get you from Carvin.

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
You could probably get a Strictly 7+1 around that price. Also, Acacia guitars should be able to get you something around there.(I'll be able to speak more about their quality soon :hbang:) In both those instances though, you'd probably be looking at something a bit more bare-bones, aesthetically, than what that price would get you from Carvin.

Except for the fact a strictly 7 is not going to out perform a carvin by any means. I know this from hands on experience (let's just say I was not impressed), I also have gotten my hands on a few carvins (3 in my stable at one time).

Get the carvin, for 1800 you won't beat it.

DoomJazz

Classic Lojack
Reaction score
People just need to shut up about how awesome Carvin is, waiting for mine is KILLING ME...

Oh, that just means Carvin all the way.

linguos

Reaction score
The 27" scale of the Carvin freaks me out. I play in dropped G# on my 25.5" seven and I absolutely fucking hate the lack of clarity and inharmonicity. I never play on an amp, I'll need that dropped E to sing to me. Am I stuck to an Agile then if I want crisp clarity?

Ben.Last

Formerly Lern2Swim
Reaction score
The 27" scale of the Carvin freaks me out. I play in dropped G# on my 25.5" seven and I absolutely fucking hate the lack of clarity and inharmonicity. I never play on an amp, I'll need that dropped E to sing to me. Am I stuck to an Agile then if I want crisp clarity?

Or you could just use slightly thicker strings. I'm in standard tuning on my 27" Septor, and it is obvious that the tension is less than my 28.625" Intrepid, however, I'm using a .074 on both and both are still well within an acceptable range of tension. If I was going to drop to E, I'd have no worries about being able to effectively doing it.

linguos

Reaction score
Then why are you buying an electric guitar?

For a very long time I've had a less than satisfactory amp and loud noise is also usually an issue. Cheap pedals through run of the mill headphones don't sound so great either. There is also a quality of construction plability-wise in high-end electric guitars not usually found in acoustics, or at least they are tailored for their demographics, and mine is primarily metal.

Consequently when I'll play or write I'll allow multiple strings to ring out simultaneously in many parts or outright use extended chords which achieves something that sounds more three dimensional than otherwise if used properly. There's no going back. If I had to choose acoustic or electric for the rest of my life I'd choose the former.

That being said I hope dearly to have something like an Axe-FX one day, to bypass noise and maintain quality.

Anyways, aren't ERG's popular with, say, jazz musicians?

')