CDs that are really whole songs...

• Thread starter MF_Kitten
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

OzzyC

:ubersquint:
Reaction score
The second disk of Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

WarriorOfMetal

The Dragonrider
Contributor
Reaction score
Wow, no one has mentioned Jethro Tull. They have two albums which are one continuous song:

"Thick As a Brick" and the lesser know, "A Passion Play"

Both are works of sheer genius.

good call, how did i forget that?

btw, some of you guys seem to be confusing concept albums with album-length songs. there is a difference.

Thomas

Stranger
Reaction score

Beat me to it. :lol:

I'll second that many of the albums mentioned here aren't really whole songs. For instance Aenima and Dark Side of the Moon. The individual tracks don't seem to be connected musically or lyrically - especially lyrically.

T_money419

Badass mofo
Reaction score
Fragile, 90125 - Yes
Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd also seems to me like its just one giant song. If I split it up and listen to the songs individually they don't seem as powerful as they do during the course of the album:yesway:

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
Waltari - Yeah! Yeah! Die! Die!: Death Metal Symphony in Deep C
Probably some of Ayreon's stuff, too.

Murder Soul

Reaction score
Pink floyd, pretty much everything from dark side of the moon- the wall.
-Noodles beat me to it.
Also check out Devin Townsends new album, Ziltoid The Omniscient

MetalMike

IKILLUWITHMYBALDHEAD
Contributor
Reaction score
Nevermore's Dreaming Neon Black. It's not exactly a flowthrough album, but it is an incredible concept album that tells a pretty disturbing story.

:agreed: If you're a fan of that album, you should pick up their live album: Score. They played the entire second disc of SDOIT with an orchestra in NYC. I was there. :D

Applejelly91

Wank Master
Reaction score
Dream Theater's Metropolis prt.2 Scenes From A Memory is pretty close........all the songs fade into each other, and all the lyrics follow the same story line

shadowgenesis

Yarrrrrr
Reaction score
Beat me to it. :lol:

I'll second that many of the albums mentioned here aren't really whole songs. For instance Aenima and Dark Side of the Moon. The individual tracks don't seem to be connected musically or lyrically - especially lyrically.

i agree that a lot (if not most that i've heard) don't actually have the feel of one song. I think there's a big difference between feeling like one song and having a tight connection and flow.
Tho i would actually disagree on Dark Side, because personally i think that album is an example of "the whole is greater than the sum of its parts". I don't particularly LOVE most of the tracks (Time is fucking KILLER though!) but as a whole the album just works. From what i've heard, the album is about the shitty condition of life for the working class in England and how oppressive the system is. Try giving it another spin with that in mind

I think Six Degrees feels like one piece but Scenes From a Memory doesn't. That's just me tho.. Something about the theme changes.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Nevermore's Dreaming Neon Black. It's not exactly a flowthrough album, but it is an incredible concept album that tells a pretty disturbing story.

Dream Theater's Metropolis prt.2 Scenes From A Memory is pretty close........all the songs fade into each other, and all the lyrics follow the same story line

Once again,it seems like people are confusing concept albums with single songs ;p

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Speaking of Jazz, Ornette Coleman's Double Jazz Quartet/ Free Jazz disc is one long song.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Oh god, I completely forgot about Floater's "Sink." The opening fifteen minutes or so, "The Beginning" into "Seventeen" into "Snowblind" just fucking slay, and the transitions (the riff to "Seventeen" sort of rising through the babble of sampled speech and random noise, the sustained chords and bassline changeup with a clip from "Apocalypse Now" echoing over the top) are almost as awesome as the actual music, which is supremely awesome.

oompa

Ze..
Contributor
Reaction score
besides all the stuff that is mentioned:

some eloy albums
some captain beyond
jeff wayne - the war of the worlds (song?)
many of the ambient and psy albums (you might have heard of jean michelle jarre's oxygen album/s for example)

as a sidenote: i have many concept albums ripped of my original cds as one track (i like to do that with concept albums), such as FF - obsolete, Maidens SSoaSS, and Mastodon's Leviathan for example :) its a good tip, forces you to listen through the boring songs like the author intended to :yesway:

')