Changing a 6 string into a 7 string???

• Thread starter flawlesswarrior
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

flawlesswarrior

Reaction score
I was thinking about taking my 6 string and trying to replace the neck(45 mm nut) with a 7 string neck but still a 45 mm nut. My only issue is mainly where to get the parts for this ive seen a few guitars that are 7 strings with a 45 mm nut such as the esp horizon nt 7. The next part would also be to buy a FR bridge to match this but im not 100% sure about how i would go about getting the correct size bridge. The guitar im trying to do this to is a ibanez RG5EX1. Does anyone know anywhere good i can order these parts or if this is really even feasible?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Isan

Contributor
Reaction score
dont waste your time and ruin a guitar ... it is possible but it is such a pain the ass you will cry for trying

ZXIIIT

XIII
Reaction score
Pics are gone, but its still a good read
Converting An Rga121 To 7 String. - Project Guitar Forum

This is a heavy mod, which I'm trying myself (more on that soon)

If you have never modded your guitar and are planning this very extreme project as a first, I suggest you sell your guitar (or save up) and get a RG7321 or get a whole supply of test wood and research every single step until you feel confident to take this path of no return :scream:.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
dont waste your time and ruin a guitar ... it is possible but it is such a pain the ass you will cry for trying

This +100000000000000, you'll end up fucking up your guitar and ending up with nothing.

Spondus

Reaction score
Have to agree with the post above, you'd be better off buying a 7 rather than making an inferior one out of a six string. The string space would be really tight at the bridge and finding pickups would be a nightmare.

flawlesswarrior

Reaction score
well i have a 7 string im just doing this cause i can i have the necessary tools and all just wanted to try it and if all else fails with the pickups i can just make the cavity bigger.

ZXIIIT

XIII
Reaction score
well i have a 7 string im just doing this cause i can i have the necessary tools and all just wanted to try it and if all else fails with the pickups i can just make the cavity bigger.

You would have to extend the pickup route to accommodate 7 string pickups and replace (or fill in) the bridge cavity. The neck might be the easiest, as the neck screw holes line up and just require a bit of work to shave off the sides of the neck pocket.

What type of bridge are you going for?

flawlesswarrior

Reaction score
You would have to extend the pickup route to accommodate 7 string pickups and replace (or fill in) the bridge cavity. The neck might be the easiest, as the neck screw holes line up and just require a bit of work to shave off the sides of the neck pocket.

What type of bridge are you going for?
well it has a licensed flyod rose so really it doesnt matter to me the brand or anything as long as its good but at this point i still cant find the right parts so idk.

lctdmf

Reaction score
To replace a 6 string FR bridge with a 7 string FR bridge, you're going to need some heavy modding, as in.. Filling the existing cavity, then re-routing the whole thing to fit the 7 string bridge in, and drill the holes for the posts. You're going to need to fill in and route the neck pocket as well, unless you want a sloppy neck pocket.

It's too much work, just sell the 6 and buy another 7 instead of ruining the guitar.

Necris

Bonitis.
Reaction score
dont waste your time and ruin a guitar
Really I have nothing to add since this has already been said, in the past when 7s were much more rare to come by this might have been worthwhile. But now with so many reasonably priced 7 strings availible you would be better off just selling the 6 and buying another 7 rather than running the risk of ruining the 6 and not being able to sell it to fund another 7. Unless of course the your 6 string is a piece of garbage to begin with, in that case you have nothing to lose.

Reaction score
To replace a 6 string FR bridge with a 7 string FR bridge, you're going to need some heavy modding, as in.. Filling the existing cavity, then re-routing the whole thing to fit the 7 string bridge in, and drill the holes for the posts. You're going to need to fill in and route the neck pocket as well, unless you want a sloppy neck pocket.

It's too much work, just sell the 6 and buy another 7 instead of ruining the guitar.

Theres no need to fill the entire cavity? Only put dowels in the original post holes, and rout the entire top route out wider to accommodate the larger trem. I haven't attempted it....yet, but if you've got a router, and can make jigs, then I don't think it would be too hard. I will get there eventually, im going to start by making a body, and then from there maybe i'll try converting a 6 into a 7.

ZXIIIT

XIII
Reaction score
well it has a licensed flyod rose so really it doesnt matter to me the brand or anything as long as its good but at this point i still cant find the right parts so idk.

I meant what style (tremolo, strat style, stop tail)
But since you are going to keep the tremolo, I suggest a Official FLoyd Rose 7 or a Ibanez Lo Pro 7 for it, and the cavity will require a few mods to accept the new bridge.

If you check the RG 6 and RG 7 necks and neck pockets, the screw holes match, the only difference is the width, which need to be sanded down a bit to have the RG 7 neck fit, no need to fill the neck pocket if done correctly.

Also for the bridge cavity, no need to fill it unless you are installing a different kind of bridge (stop tail, strat style)

You can just get the new bridge and mod the existing cavity to make it fit.

Take pics if you decide to do this!

ittoa666

Being confused on SS.org since 2008
Reaction score
Just use a seven string pack and take out the high E. No worries if you dont solo. :)

flawlesswarrior

Reaction score
Just use a seven string pack and take out the high E. No worries if you dont solo. :)
Well that would then just be tuning to b standard... which I already tune my 6 string to drop A# and my 7 in drop A so i wouldn't really be doing anything if i did that lol

flawlesswarrior

Reaction score
Why would i need to reroute the tremolo cavity if im using a 45 mm nut wouldnt the bridge just be packed closer as in the strings are closer to each other?

flawlesswarrior

Reaction score
NO ..... if you dont understand that then PLEASE DO NOT TRY THIS!!!!!!!
Ha i know how to reroute things ive done that a few times just thinking that if the guitars nut is 45 mm then wouldthe the bridge size just stay the same size but be more compact?

lctdmf

Reaction score
Where are you going to find a 45mm locking nut for a 7 string? And a 7 string FR bridge with the same string spacing (B to e) as a 6 string (E to e)?

flawlesswarrior

Reaction score
Where are you going to find a 45mm locking nut for a 7 string? And a 7 string FR bridge with the same string spacing (B to e) as a 6 string (E to e)?
Thats my main problem really ive seen some guitars with this i mentioned the Esp horizon NT7 before but yea idk where i could get these part thats why i posted originally to see if anyone knew where to get these.

')